Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Remember when there was talk when we signed him that his personality was a potential problem? Wtf was with that?

All I can speculate is that it’s because he’s eccentric, a skilful winger and French.

I should probs change my name to something better also tbh.

Fwiw, there were definitely reports of him being unreliable at his former club and not having much of an end product.  Why else would he be playing for us?

He's really come on in the last year and a half.  And there have been no major off field issues, as far as we know.

He was so fucking good today.  Pretty much unplayable in spells.

Games he's started PPG 1.47

(Played 34, Won 14, Draw 8, Lost 12)

*started in cup wins against Oxford, WBA and Blackburn

*started defeat to Man City, Oxford draw

Injured, or from the bench PPG 0.72

(Played 25, Won 4, Draw 6, Lost 15)

*injured for cup losses Leicester, Arsenal, Brentford

*injured Draw and Win Rochdale, wins against Oxford and Morecambe

We won once in league last year when he didn't play - Palace home  :sad:

Remember when there was talk when we signed him that his personality was a potential problem? Wtf was with that?

There have been hints this might be the case tbh.

When?

I guess after new contract he had a bit of a poor patch but nothing more than that? Still slightly baffling to suggest any attitude problem tbh?

Outside looking in, Zaha does come across as a indulged shit bag though. Not sure how I'd feel about him if I was a Palace fan.

Every summer for past few years theres been talk of him going somewhere bigger and better than Palace despite them still paying him a fortune. Wonder where that talk comes from? Palace have given him everything in his career but from between 2017 to 2020 seemed he couldn't wait to get out. No takers because he either leveraged new deals, or he's not actually all that, and he's gone back to being happy at Palace.

Quality player on his day, but not carrying Palace as much as most of us would think. Most of time I've ever seen him he's never actually impacting the game. Never got anywhere near 20 goals.

ASM is far greater player.

There have been hints this might be the case tbh.

When?

I guess after new contract he had a bit of a poor patch but nothing more than that? Still slightly baffling to suggest any attitude problem tbh?

The article from Chris Waugh in the Athletic mentioned him being a difficult character. There was an interview with Atsu on nufctv, and a few others I think when asked mostly likely to be late for training or something along those lines Maxi’s name came up. Rumours of a bust up pre COVID too. Though ofcourse we don’t know how correct they really were.

Watching Spurs All or Nothing you see Eric Dier fly or the handle after a game, and him and Alli have a 'word' together. Mourinho just stands there and lets it play out; it's petty much nothing, but gives an insight into a PL dressing room is pretty much still emotionally taught like it is at any standard of game you'd play at.

Can easily see likes of Schar or ASM flying off the handle after 45mins or 90mins of Bruceball and calling it all 'bullshit' in a fit of frustration and Bruce taking it to heart. Makes sense, ASM going to be p*ssed losing when he spends all game trying to attack while rest of side is loafing around and being donkeys.

Could defiantly read between Schar's post match at Southampton to see 'words' had been said in dressing room after the worst display shown in months, but a culmination we'd seen coming as fans for a while.

End of the day, it's the same 'Maverick vs. Traditional English Manager' narrative. Bobby being the cultured and continental devil he was brought in Viana, and more so Robert, and embraced his nature to the huge benefit of the team, yet Souness continued to ask something that never should have been expected of him and rest was history... Pardew eventually bombing HBA out and him ending up in a wet grim training ground near Hull being snoughted and sniffed at by Bruce. Latest example being Allardyce taking over at WBA, and dropping Matheus Perreria for Snodgrass

Watching Spurs All or Nothing you see Eric Dier fly or the handle after a game, and him and Alli have a 'word' together. Mourinho just stands there and lets it play out; it's petty much nothing, but gives an insight into a PL dressing room is pretty much still emotionally taught like it is at any standard of game you'd play at.

Can easily see likes of Schar or ASM flying off the handle after 45mins or 90mins of Bruceball and calling it all 'bullshit' in a fit of frustration and Bruce taking it to heart. Makes sense, ASM going to be pissed losing when he spends all game trying to attack while rest of side is loafing around and being donkeys.

Could defiantly read between Schar's post match at Southampton to see 'words' had been said in dressing room after the worst display shown in months, but a culmination we'd seen coming as fans for a while.

I still say the Brighton game was the breaking point. I think ASM realised that the extent of Bruce's use of his talent was to win free-kicks, and he got sick of being fouled.

Can easily see likes of Schar or ASM flying off the handle after 45mins or 90mins of Bruceball and calling it all 'bullshit' in a fit of frustration and Bruce taking it to heart. Makes sense, ASM going to be p*ssed losing when he spends all game trying to attack while rest of side is loafing around and being donkeys.

I still say the Brighton game was the breaking point. I think ASM realised that the extent of Bruce's use of his talent was to win free-kicks, and he got sick of being fouled.

He'd have clocked onto Bruce long before that. He was in and around that Monaco squad under Jardim that won Ligue 1, got to CL semis, played for Lucian Farve - both defensive coaches - he'd have noticed standards, and levels in training would have been lower than he'd been at before by end of his first pre-season with Steve n the Gang.

Tactics all last season where give it to Alan and let him get us up the pitch. If he has higher enough standard I'd hope he has, he'd been pulling his hair out that we couldn't get past Rochdale or Oxford in 90mins let alone setting up to sneak a 1-0 in the PL.

Brighton game, certainly him being frustrated with bullshit approach he's playing in, but it end of day he let Tariq Lamptey rinse him inside out, highlighting weakness in his game at the top level. Not really a criticism, not expecting him to be 2017 Eden Hazard! If he hadn't gone of injured the wee b****** Lamptey would have had Alan in his pocket all game anyway. Annoyingly good that lad.

He'd have clocked onto Bruce long before that. He was in and around that Monaco squad under Jardim that won Ligue 1, got to CL semis, played for Lucian Farve - both defensive coaches - he'd have noticed standards, and levels in training would have been lower than he'd been at before by end of his first pre-season with Steve n the Gang.

Tactics all last season where give it to Alan and let him get us up the pitch. If he has higher enough standard I'd hope he has, he'd been pulling his hair out that we couldn't get past Rochdale or Oxford in 90mins let alone setting up to sneak a 1-0 in the PL.

Brighton game, certainly him being frustrated with bullshit approach he's playing in, but it end of day he let Tariq Lamptey rinse him inside out, highlighting weakness in his game at the top level. Not really a criticism, not expecting him to be 2017 Eden Hazard! If he hadn't gone of injured the wee b****** Lamptey would have had Alan in his pocket all game anyway. Annoyingly good that lad.

I agree, just think that game he took one knock too many and he snapped. I think he's generally been a great character outside of that period.

Guys like ASM & Ben Arfa have made watching this club tolerable over the last decade.

Wish we had a decent manager to be excited about because there's a core here (Wilson, ASM, Almiron) that can built into a stable Top 10 side and then more.