Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

Sign Willock and I think Maxi stays for at least another season.

Dunno about that. He's such a game changer, I don't see how more ambitious clubs won't have taken an interest. He singlehandedly transforms us from a really toothless team into a real problem for the opposition. The real test will come if a team playing in Europe put in a bid. While I'm sure he's enjoying it here, you would think a player like him has some career ambitions above bottom half of the PL. 

21 minutes ago, huss9 said:

get willock and willems in and he'll stay.

Aye he’s definitely formed a strong relationship with Willock. Did he have the wrong studs on today as he was sliding all over the pitch. With a good coach just tuning a few things with his game he could be a top player. Unfortunately he’s playing for Bruce and if he stays probably will be next season also. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s away in the summer if Ashley still has ownership, as he’s already questioned the ambition and Ashley loves a huge profit on a player.

Edited by et tu brute

7 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Main reason i'm able to watch us is because of him, i don't know if i will be able to watch if he leaves us as we are completely diffrent without him in the side.

Totally proven that the last two seasons with the number of points gained when he’s playing against the number when he’s not

His ability to run at defenders has been a huge asset for us, particularly when we don't have much ability to carve out chances through passing our way towards the opposition box. 

However, I don't think he's quite such an attractive proposition for the CL clubs. He plays very much as a individual, loses the ball a lot and doesn't always link well with his team mates. He won't fit in as well with a possession-based, passing team.

The fact that he's ended up with us must say something.

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

His ability to run at defenders has been a huge asset for us, particularly when we don't have much ability to carve out chances through passing our way towards the opposition box. 

However, I don't think he's quite such an attractive proposition for the CL clubs. He plays very much as a individual, loses the ball a lot and doesn't always link well with his team mates. He won't fit in as well with a possession-based, passing team.

The fact that he's ended up with us must say something.

I feel I need to ask this, but how come you criticise players like ASM so freely but when it comes to the likes of the average cloggers you're always quick to defend them?

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I feel I need to ask this, but how come you criticise players like ASM so freely but when it comes to the likes of the average cloggers you're always quick to defend them?

Which 'average cloggers' are you talking about?

I think we have a potentially world class player on our hands so it's only a matter of time before he moves on to a CL team. The only question mark is how will he perform in a more orchestrated role under a manager that actually has a system and coaches players to fit it.

In some ways Bruce is the perfect manager for ASM because he's clueless - he just lets ASM do what he wants and it suits him. 

His individual nature is potentially a problem for clubs higher up the leagues. But then again, I think it looks much worse here because he's playing out of position and being told to do everything himself. 

I don't see any reason a top coach couldn't get him to play out wide, hold his position and use his ability in the right way. Then he would really start to look world class.

Sadly it won't happen here because Brucey's best bet is just to let him do anything and hope he wins the game on his own. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

27 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Possibly an unfair throwaway term, but let's talk about Dummett and Murphy. 

Well on this website, as with others, some players get dismissed as completely useless (or fruitier words to that effect) and I do sometimes feel the need to put forward a bit of balance. This would be my overall assessment - 

Dummett is limited in terms of his ability on the ball. He has no right foot, and in possession you're never going to get much more than that inswinging boot up the line. 

However, he was developing into a decent defender, particularly in a back three. I'm a bit worried that the injury has taken away some of his pace, because that was his chief asset. He was the player that you could most bank on to rush across to get a block or tackle in, or intercept a cross. There were some signs yesterday that he was getting back to his best, and of course he now has a bit of experience behind him. 

Like Dummett, Murphy has his technical limitations, and I was ready to give up on him not long ago. But I think he's found his role at RWB. He's shown a lot of strength and determination in that position, and has come out with the ball in defensive situations where a number of our players would have lost out. In attack, he can put in a decent cross, which I think is the product of hard work rather than natural talent. On the debit side, he mis-controls the ball a lot, and doesn't always read the game well. But right back was a bit of a problem position for us, and now I think we can concentrate on other priorities.

It’s not selfish-ness or individualism, it’s creative freedom that’s being referred to I think. Can he still be as effective under a manager who gives him tactical shackles and a very defined role? That’ll be what decides whether he can thrive at the very top level.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

It’s not selfish-ness or individualism, it’s creative freedom that’s being referred to I think. Can he still be as effective under a manager who gives him tactical shackles and a very defined role? That’ll be what decides whether he can thrive at the very top level.

Completely agree with this.  He's perfect for us but in a side that requires him to stay in his role, I think he'd not enjoy it personally.

16 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Completely agree with this.  He's perfect for us but in a side that requires him to stay in his role, I think he'd not enjoy it personally.

I think that’s a really good point - it’s less a question of if he’s capable of doing it, but more whether he’d enjoy playing that sort of role. He’s clearly a player who loves playing and thrives on freedom - that’s one of the reasons he’s such a joy to watch. It would be a sad day seeing ASM cutting a dejected figure in a stifled role even in a much more successful team. Or a super-sub role at a club with a massive squad, like Chelsea - he’d absolutely hate that. His own ambition could be his own worst enemy in that respect. Having said that, Mahrez is thriving at Man City and he’s a similar sort of player. 

Time will no doubt tell.

I don’t see any issue with him going to a bigger club in terms of what he does on The ball, the problem is his fitness means he wouldn’t and isn’t able to press with too much intensity, and I’m not sure a manager aiming for 100+ points can afford to have someone who saves his energy solely for attacking opportunities. Similar to Ben Arfa he’s in the wrong era of football. Only Messi can get away with doing very little off the ball at the highest level.

20 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I don’t see any issue with him going to a bigger club in terms of what he does on The ball, the problem is his fitness means he wouldn’t and isn’t able to press with too much intensity, and I’m not sure a manager aiming for 100+ points can afford to have someone who saves his energy solely for attacking opportunities. Similar to Ben Arfa he’s in the wrong era of football. Only Messi can get away with doing very little off the ball at the highest level.

Bear in mind he’s been performing under a 1990’s fitness and conditioning setup and he’s been rushed back a couple of times due to our complete reliance on him. 
Most clubs have proper medical, physio, sports science and conditioning departments and squads that can still function without one key player. I’m pretty sure his fitness is an issue because he’s here, not because he’s unfit or injury prone.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think he would benefit from more discipline and a clearly defined role, something like Mahrez at Man City. Most players would, it’s not to say he’s not helping the team now. 

basically you mean he would benefit from some decent coaching.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think he would benefit from more discipline and a clearly defined role, something like Mahrez at Man City. Most players would, it’s not to say he’s not helping the team now. 

I think Mahrez is much more of a team player. Although I think it does get overstated that ASM can hold the ball too long sometimes, in our team that's probably a good thing as not many other players want the ball. 

It's not that different to Ben Arfa, I think with better players around they would both pass the ball a bit earlier. But Mahrez is top class, he sees things early and he doesn't get caught on the ball much. I think ASM is a bit like Willock, looks much better in a side that likes to defend deep....and that's definitely us, despite Brewce insisting he's doing it his way for the last 6 months.