Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

He didn't want to go out on loan, and certainly not to Scotland but its an opportunity to play and he hasn't taken it. Think Glass' comments are harsh and show he's not really a manager of people and may be why this isn't working. Glass is naïve to think comments like that help the situation, Matty certainly won't be putting in any effort for that man, neither would I being publicly hung out to dry so god knows what he's been like behind closed doors.

32 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Probably more to do with the set-up at Aberdeen. He’s used to being around the premier league and he’s joined some outfit in a two-Bob second rate league, not surprised he’s struggled to get motivated.

Actually good set up at Aberdeen.

Why do you try to belittle another club.

How many European trophies have Newcastle won?

17 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He didn't want to go out on loan, and certainly not to Scotland but its an opportunity to play and he hasn't taken it. Think Glass' comments are harsh and show he's not really a manager of people and may be why this isn't working. Glass is naïve to think comments like that help the situation, Matty certainly won't be putting in any effort for that man, neither would I being publicly hung out to dry so god knows what he's been like behind closed doors.

Glass comments are not bad.

Stop trying to defend a player who is obviously overrated and useless...For that is what he is.

Just now, Dandy Don said:

Glass comments are not bad.

Stop trying to defend a player who is obviously overrated and useless...For that is what he is.

They are though. It's poor management of a young lad who needs support. I've said he's not taken his chance (so clearly not defending him) but he's not the only one to blame for this situation. Glass doesn't strike me as an experienced head, and it shows in this situation. He'll go nowhere hanging players out to dry like that. For now its a young loan lad, next time its one of his own and the players turn. 

My bet is Matty makes more of his career than Glass did as a player and as a manager.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

They are though. It's poor management of a young lad who needs support. I've said he's not taken his chance (so clearly not defending him) but he's not the only one to blame for this situation. Glass doesn't strike me as an experienced head, and it shows in this situation. He'll go nowhere hanging players out to dry like that. For now its a young loan lad, next time its one of his own and the players turn. 

My bet is Matty makes more of his career than Glass did as a player and as a manager.

Aye for South Shields reserves maybe.

1 minute ago, TorchyTBB said:

Almost true though!  Unfortunately, he's nowhere near good enough for the premier league or championship.

Same was said about Joelinton & Lewis only a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Same was said about Joelinton & Lewis only a few weeks ago.

MattStaff’s problem is the athlete side of it all. Whenever he got games here he got caught out by the pace of everything and underhit his passes, wanted too much time in his own half, couldn’t get around quick enough to stop the opposition midfield. Joelinton and Lewis at least have the bodies needed, whereas Matty seems to be reasonably decent technically but prone to jelly legs on top of being slow by default. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

Aberdeen is too good a level for Matty, he’ll be a non league player in few years time. Aberdeen are a big club btw and if should just a fit to try and make it there and doesn’t seem to be doing it. Was of a shirt for them!

Edited by HTT II

Just now, Dandy Don said:

After today's result, Newcastle might need him.😁

Fucking hell, don’t make things worse man FFS!

Good on Glass calling him out btw too, I know people who know the family and he’s basically in a huff and didn’t want to be at Aberdeen full stop which is a good level for any pro and more than enough at his stage of his career especially. He should be relishing the challenge. But he’s probably on twice what everyone else is on at Aberdeen. Again, he’ll be at South Shields or similar in a few years time. Sums up our academy, absolutely shite!

6 hours ago, Dandy Don said:

My Da is a Geordie,hence me being on here.... Is his hero who played for the Dons and Newcastle still about in the Newcastle area...Jimmy Jinxy Smith.

Saw a photo of Jinxy having a pint with Chris Waddle a while back, I'll have a look for it

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Both are pretty poor athletes tbh

They are as much of an athlete than your average every day Sunday pub league player.

Edited by HTT II

5 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

He was loaned to a level where he could boss the game and get his confidence back.  He's failed miserably.  He shouldn't be allowed any excuses.

That level as you call us,has two players in midfield Brown, and Ferguson who is twice the player Longstaff is 

On 19/10/2021 at 07:58, Dandy Don said:

Question from my Geordie Da.

His hero for Aberdeen and Newcastle was Jimmy Jinxy Smith....

Does Jinxy reside in the Newcastle area,he be same age as my Da 74 now.

On a slightly related note Jack Hather who played on the wing for The Dons from 48 to 60, called "The Hare" apparently, was my neighbour while growing up.

Nice bloke.

True story.:)

His brother ran the local, right cock by all accounts.

All before my time like, just.[emoji38]

Yep, have no idea why people are making excuses for the Longstaff brothers, yeah Steve Bruce has probably been a big part of that but i've said this many times over, if a player is not getting the right training, do what Joelinton did, take responsibility for it. Do the extra on your own time/cost, it has the potential to extend or save a career when you look at our current lot.

Matty has/had the potential to be a Paul Scholes type player, am not for a minute suggesting he'd be that good, what i mean is box to box, neat passer, bit of a shot on him, gets on the ball, dictates tempo etc.. it's not all about pace and strength, there's something not right mentally about the pair of them

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

On a slightly related note Jack Hather who played on the wing for The Dons from 48 to 60, called "The Hare" apparently, was my neighbour while growing up.

Nice bloke.

True story.:)

His brother ran the local, right cock by all accounts.

All before my time like, just.[emoji38]

Jackie Hather was a friend of my Da...Small world.

23 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Yep, have no idea why people are making excuses for the Longstaff brothers, yeah Steve Bruce has probably been a big part of that but i've said this many times over, if a player is not getting the right training, do what Joelinton did, take responsibility for it. Do the extra on your own time/cost, it has the potential to extend or save a career when you look at our current lot.

Matty has/had the potential to be a Paul Scholes type player, am not for a minute suggesting he'd be that good, what i mean is box to box, neat passer, bit of a shot on him, gets on the ball, dictates tempo etc.. it's not all about pace and strength, there's something not right mentally about the pair of them

Yes the EPL is of a higher standard, but up here you don't get time to do the fancy stuff,as soon as you get the ball,somebody is on you right away...Matty hasn't been able to adjust to that.