Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Should be great to experience for him, he lacks pace which catches him out in the PL but he should be able to show his stuff up in Scotland. People within the club say he’s the better of the 2 brothers as a footballer.

I actually agree that he has physical limitations, but then Armstrong was let go for the same reason, and yet Bruce was trying to use that to have a dig at Rafa because he's done well ( to a point) since he left. Also, if he feels he's too slow/weak for the PL, why hand out a new contract? Doesn't the fat fuck know his own mind?

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I actually agree that he has physical limitations, but then Armstrong was let go for the same reason, and yet Bruce was trying to use that to have a dig at Rafa because he's done well ( to a point) since he left. Also, if he feels he's too slow/weak for the PL, why hand out a new contract? Doesn't the fat fuck know his own mind?

I imagine he has very little say on who gets a contract. Club will want a fee next summer. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's so if he has a class season for Aberdeen we can get a fee for him, basically.

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgotten about this - he's an absolute idiot Bruce!

"Instead, rather than being sent out on loan last season, the midfielder was barely used. He played only 29 minutes during Newcastle’s opening 14 league matches, before bizarrely starting three games inside six days over Christmas against Manchester City, Liverpool and Leicester City, only to not feature in any of the final 20 matches"

https://theathletic.com/2805201/2021/09/06/debuts-dont-come-much-better-than-matty-longstaffs-against-man-utd-its-a-shame-hes-barely-been-since/

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, gdm said:

He played against Motherwell last week my mate, a Motherwell fan, says he had some nice touches but was nothing special and struggled to get in to the game at times 

7 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Thought he must have a knock or something - been there so briefly and was supposedly one of their best players in first game.

Cool Cool

Edited by Shearergol

Did he really look class though?

He scored a nice goal against Man Utd, but I can't remember him being anything other than tidy but unspectacular. Granted, it's quite some time since I saw him play for us so could be wrong.

57 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Did he really look class though?

He scored a nice goal against Man Utd, but I can't remember him being anything other than tidy but unspectacular. Granted, it's quite some time since I saw him play for us so could be wrong.

tbh Sean looked like he had a much better all round game, just that matty got a belter on his debut at the gallowgate end against manu and it doesnt get much better then that.

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Both are bang average, championship players at best and that’s on a good day…

Not calling you out particularly, but I genuinely don't understand these kind of posts. What exactly is the difference between a PL player and a championship player? For the Longstaffs I'm not sure I could really say. I don't see an obvious technical weakness (unlike our no.7 who looks amateurish when it comes to striking through the ball), and everything that you could throw at them - fitness, decision making, movement off the ball, timing...it's all stuff that needs to be coached. I mean you see players that have been written off by clubs making waves in the PL all the time (see Toney for a recent example). Not to say that I think the Longstaffs will become world beaters, but I what I see in their careers is not a lack of talent but a lack of nurture for two potentially very useful players

He’s pretty unlucky getting Aberdeen as his best loan option. Maybe he’s allergic to going south of Wetherby services, I dunno. 

I’d probably be looking for a Spanish second tier club or something like that. That’s if anyone he knows or works with has the numbers of those people. 

I have never understood why Matty is highly thought about here compared to his brother. In my opinion, Sean is by far and away the more talented of the two and looked like he could be a solid Premier League player. I don’t see that in Matty and think his future is elsewhere.

In saying that, I guess you can’t really judge anyone over the last two even three years as most have regressed - just like the entire club itself.

40 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Not calling you out particularly, but I genuinely don't understand these kind of posts. What exactly is the difference between a PL player and a championship player? For the Longstaffs I'm not sure I could really say. I don't see an obvious technical weakness (unlike our no.7 who looks amateurish when it comes to striking through the ball), and everything that you could throw at them - fitness, decision making, movement off the ball, timing...it's all stuff that needs to be coached. I mean you see players that have been written off by clubs making waves in the PL all the time (see Toney for a recent example). Not to say that I think the Longstaffs will become world beaters, but I what I see in their careers is not a lack of talent but a lack of nurture for two potentially very useful players

Sean just looks to either have no athleticism or he's a lazy fucker. Either than or he's incredibly unfit.

I've got nothing against his technical game but it's infuriating watching him ignore a ball 4 yards away from him as it looks a bit too far to run for it.