Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

Just now, Shearergol said:

Sean just looks to either have no athleticism or he's a lazy fucker. Either than or he's incredibly unfit.

I've got nothing against his technical game but it's infuriating watching him ignore a ball 4 yards away from him as it looks a bit too far to run for it.

Again I don't think that's correct for the manyoo game, he looked fine and was getting up and down the pitch until everyone fell to bits.  

Just now, mrmojorisin75 said:

Again I don't think that's correct for the manyoo game, he looked fine and was getting up and down the pitch until everyone fell to bits.  

It's what I saw and I mentioned it a number of times in the match thread. It's not the "up and down" as such, it's when there's a ball near him and he ignores it. Happens loads of times (but never did under Rafa, which is why I alluded to the fact that he's lazy)

I agree - but I think you could say the same thing about the conditioning of the whole squad. Also, just to play the amateur psychologist for a bit - from my own experience of playing 7s, it’s sometimes hard to stay motivated when you’re part of a shit team getting  humped every week. Obviously these guys are professional, but I think the same applies in some way. So much comes down to the training, coaching, tactical and psychological  input they get from their club. And since our arsehole of a manager is swanning off to Portugal for a break in September and not notifying half the squad when training sessions are, you can surmise that all of that isn’t up to PL standard

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It's what I saw and I mentioned it a number of times in the match thread. It's not the "up and down" as such, it's when there's a ball near him and he ignores it. Happens loads of times (but never did under Rafa, which is why I alluded to the fact that he's lazy)

He's probably just fucking sick of it like the rest of us :lol:

1 minute ago, alijmitchell said:

I agree - but I think you could say the same thing about the conditioning of the whole squad. Also, just to play the amateur psychologist for a bit - from my own experience of playing 7s, it’s sometimes hard to stay motivated when you’re part of a shit team getting  humped every week. Obviously these guys are professional, but I think the same applies in some way. So much comes down to the training, coaching, tactical and psychological  input they get from their club. And since our arsehole of a manager is swanning off to Portugal for a break in September and not notifying half the squad when training sessions are, you can surmise that all of that isn’t up to PL standard

We've gone from a manager who makes average players look class to a manager who makes class players look awful. I suspect Longstaff is in the middle of "average" and "class" somewhere.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

We've gone from a manager who makes average players look class to a manager who makes class players look awful. I suspect Longstaff is in the middle of "average" and "class" somewhere.

Remember saying that about a few of our players when Rafa was here - mates who asked about Longstaff, Perez, Schar for example. I would always say that in the Rafa system they look good, but I don’t think any of them are the kind of players that you could just stick on a pitch and be objectively good regardless of system…

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

I just think they are shite to be honest mate, Colback levels even if that…

Haaarsh. I don't think they're worldbeaters at all but they were impressionable and eager players willing to do what the manager wanted. When that was Rafa, they had guidance and instruction. Now, they know a what #6 down at Kebab King is without looking at the menu.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Haaarsh. I don't think they're worldbeaters at all but they were impressionable and eager players willing to do what the manager wanted. When that was Rafa, they had guidance and instruction. Now, they know a what #6 down at Kebab King is without looking at the menu.

Colback's a good comparison for me. I always thought Colback was decent on the ball, just too slow to be of any use at a higher level. I think the Longstaffs are the same, neither of them are athletes, and they would have to have some remarkable technical skill to make up for that. They don't. They are just ok, but the PL is full of players with good engines who are a bit better. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He’s pretty unlucky getting Aberdeen as his best loan option. Maybe he’s allergic to going south of Wetherby services, I dunno. 

I’d probably be looking for a Spanish second tier club or something like that. That’s if anyone he knows or works with has the numbers of those people. 

Think move North was because of his complexion, he’s only allowed 11 seconds of sunlight daily

41 minutes ago, TRon said:

Colback's a good comparison for me. I always thought Colback was decent on the ball, just too slow to be of any use at a higher level. I think the Longstaffs are the same, neither of them are athletes, and they would have to have some remarkable technical skill to make up for that. They don't. They are just ok, but the PL is full of players with good engines who are a bit better. 

There was clearly something more to Sean at some point, since @Froggy's lot were briefly interested in him for a large-ish fee. The problem with us imo is whatever a player is when he gets here, that's who he'll be until he gets worse.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

There was clearly something more to Sean at some point, since @Froggy's lot were briefly interested in him for a large-ish fee. The problem with us imo is whatever a player is when he gets here, that's who he'll be until he gets worse.

He did look good in Rafa's system, but it makes you wonder if he can only look good when he's given a specific role. You shouldn't lose any ability you have just because a new manager comes in. He looks like he's playing on a hangover these days. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

We're the club that sold prime Yohan Cabaye for £19m to the richest club in the world, I doubt we'd let Man Utd walk away from Sean Longstaff.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Matty always looks like he’s running through wet cement. His tormented face looks like he should be flying then you look at the legs and it’s slow motion. He’s incredibly slow, watching him run anything over 10 yards and you can run a bath waiting.