Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

in Sean's interview he seems to be taking some of the blame. the red card at west ham?

"This one makes me sad. It's not a regret, because you can't regret doing a tackle, but it's the moment in my career I beat myself up about the most. Me and my brother had played the two games before it, and he got taken out of the team after that. There's a million reasons as to why that could happen but I beat myself up about that because I feel as though if I didn't get sent off, we would have kept playing together - he would have stayed in the team for longer, and would have been able to establish himself more.

It's a weird picture. I'm getting punished there, but I don't think I got the most punishment in that moment. I feel like Matty got more than me."

Sorry to see him go on a sentimental level, as much as it felt like an inevitability now. Remember a time when quite a few felt that he was the better prospect of the two brothers. Can't help but wonder to what extent things could have turned out differently for him given different circumstances, thinking of both the managerial situation and the Udinese/Watford interest especially. 

Glad he's going to be supported through his injury and hope he's able to make a good career for himself :thup:

Feel bad for the lad. He’s had a tough few years. 

Timing and circumstance are so important in life. I don’t think Sean is incredibly more talented.  He’s been at the right place at the right time in 2 crucial periods for the club. He may well end up an England international and star in the Champions league. While Matty’s career as a professional footballer is in doubt. 

Nice touch from the club to allow him to rehab with us. Must be tough for him, his brother is a regular in a side that’s finished 4th, he’s had 2 years of his career with non existent coaching and he turned down an offer to move. Guess that’s the margins for every youth prospect, you can have a dream start to your professional career and then be left wondering what’s next, what level will I be at, how will this injury heal etc. 

Best of luck to him, it’s a tough game and I hope he finds his feet. 

He was more highly rated than Sean before either of them hit the 1st team. Always seemed to me that he had chronic lack of pace, beyond slow compared to any other player no matter who the opposition were.

That will always be a problem for him, possibly even worse for him as he plays with inferior players and where athleticism can make up for skill and touch.