Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

I haven't seen him as much as some of you but I wouldn't say he lacks pace, he's very agile and good on the turn as well

He's got a short stride which means he won't cover ground as quick as some. That was a huge problem with Colback, but unlike Jack, Matty is a very willing runner into space and that is gold in itself.

Will be a conflicting one when he leaves and returns to play against us. On one hand he left us for a more ambitious club therefore deserves the Perez treatment, on the other hand he's a Geordie.

TA: “Have you ever had team-mates say to you, ‘Why the fuck have you just kicked me up the backside?’ or ‘Why are you hitting me?’”

MR: “(Laughs) Yeah, yeah. Matty (Longstaff) said to me tonight actually, ‘Matt, man, why are you hitting my head? It hurts’. But I love it. I love the feeling of winning, of succeeding, that togetherness. When you win it’s so good.”

:lol:

TA: “Have you ever had team-mates say to you, ‘Why the fuck have you just kicked me up the backside?’ or ‘Why are you hitting me?’”

MR: “(Laughs) Yeah, yeah. Matty (Longstaff) said to me tonight actually, ‘Matt, man, why are you hitting my head? It hurts’. But I love it. I love the feeling of winning, of succeeding, that togetherness. When you win it’s so good.”

:lol:

5756cf801200005b0289598a.gif

By any measure, he's an amazing prospect and the sky's the limit at the moment with this young lad. Been so very impressed with him. No doubt having his big brother at the same club and that sibling rivalry has pushed him and will keep pushing him (/Rafa). Keeping both together is going to be good for their development.

It almost seemed a lazy comparison with Scholes, after his first goal, and I think it was premature. But if there was one thing that Scholes had that this lad seems to also have, it's that fantastic off-the-ball awareness, to be in the right places at the right time to get those goals.

Combine that with a great engine, I never see the lad stop running, and he's going to be very important. Ideally, I'd like to see him running less with the more experience he gets. The best players don't need to run, they are just where they need to be nearly all of the time. Like when Dummett had that crazy top speed stat a few years ago, because he has to sprint like a mad-man to recover his position if he over-extends. If he had a better footballing brain, he'd not need to do that.

I would love for him to sign a long term contract with his boyhood club but would absolutely be celebrating if he got a deal at someone like Dortmund or something that will develop him into a class footballer.

Out of contract in the summer and on less than a grand a week apparently. Seems a bit mad we haven't offered him a new contract yet

WHAT :lol:

He is still on £850 a week. his contract has never been updated since he was an under 23 player. The club are still trying to get him on he cheap rather than pay the going rate for a premier league player

Out of contract in the summer and on less than a grand a week apparently. Seems a bit mad we haven't offered him a new contract yet

WHAT :lol:

He is still on £850 a week. his contract has never been updated since he was an under 23 player. The club are still trying to get him on he cheap rather than pay the going rate for a premier league player

Sean hasn't had his contract extended either. He's still on the same deal he was on before he broke into the first team.

NUFC have a history over the Ashley era of signing young players who have made a good impression in the short term to long contracts with high wages. They've been burned by this quite a few times. Maybe they are trying to take a more considered approach with the Longstaff brothers?

Sterry's still stinking the place up.

Barlaser too, but that's harsh as he actually looks like a footballer unlike Sterry and I actually thought he'd get a shot before the Longstaffs.

Craig Hope was on about Barlaser this morning, saying he'd been decent at wherever he's at.

Sterry's still stinking the place up.

Barlaser too, but that's harsh as he actually looks like a footballer unlike Sterry and I actually thought he'd get a shot before the Longstaffs.

Craig Hope was on about Barlaser this morning, saying he'd been decent at wherever he's at.

Rotherham's fans love him, Accrington's did last year too.