General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Apparently Rafa got us relegated, not McClaren.

"Europe with Hull"  :lol:

They didn't even make the groups.

Don't want to make the groups man, you'll get yourself relegated. Far better throw the games and get knocked out early because you know you'll never play in Europe again. Might as well get relegated anyway because you're a great guy.

Aren't the FA Cup final and Europe with Hull the same achievement? :lol:

So he's achieved one thing in his career, where even he has admitted they got lucky with their draws along the way.

Wow what an amazing 20 years he's had in the sport.  That one achievement is meant to somehow offset a fucking 30% win percentage.

Edit - a 28.1% win percentage :lol:

I keep seeing loads of people referring to stuff like 'a blizzard of discontent from supporters'.

Is this really the case? I mean, as I'm sure will be evidenced by the near 50,000 bums on seats on Sunday, the match-going support is as loyal as ever. Meanwhile, well over a thousand people went down to Preston and sang Bruce's name. 16,000 people thought spending money on a friendly was a fair enough investment. You can see folks out and about wearing the new kit. The Facebook community seems extremely balanced, if not representing a picture of happiness rather than unhappiness. The only demonstration that has happened was absolutely minuscule and immediately laughed at by the manager himself.

It seems to me like people in the media are making stuff up again. "Oh, yeah, Newcastle? Rafa to Bruce. I bet they're all pissed off up there, aren't they? They're not? Full house on Sunday? I bet they're livid though. Protests n stuff. I'll write that anyway. 'Blizzard of discontent', that sounds good." I'm not in the city at the moment but I really don't feel like there's any evidence to suggest it's anything other than, basically, business as usual.

I hate the notion that Newcastle-Online is insular, and doesn't provide a broad, general view of Newcastle supporters, and basically just represents one side of any argument. But, at times, it does feel like we're a little bit alone in the universe. :lol:

Can we add a poll to one of the threads, like? Just a simple, 'how do you feel about NUFC right now?' With answers ranging from Ecstatic/Optimistic all the way through to Miserable/Hopeless. I'd be really keen to know how the majority of people who view this board actually feel right now. I feel like it would give me some headpeace.

Hadn't realised the figures were that significant. :thup:

Its hard to gauge the outside world when social media flips and flops as much as it does! From the initial anger of Rafa leaving it seemed like everyone had enough, then recently after a few buys and wor Brewcie in charge it's felt like the tide has turned and we're in the minority.

If those ticket counts are accurate, plus those that have season tickets but won't be attending then it's looking much better than feared.

Am I the only person who thinks the majority of football writing is complete gash? I genuinely wouldn’t dream of paying for it. You get zero tactical analysis from these people they barely understand the game imo

I agree and this is why I've signed up to the trial.  Jury is still out as there have been some fairly mediocre articles about players that feel little more than promo pieces written by agents and one God awful article by supposed secret owner.  On the other hand there are some good articles, a good example being an analysis of what the promoted teams will bring in terms of tactics.  Will be interesting to see what their match reporting is like and the analysis of clubs transfer business is.

Apparently Rafa got us relegated, not McClaren.

He's really a stupid cunt like. FA cup LOSS with Hull where they played nobody above them to get there and a EL qualifying round loss to Lokeren is not success in anyones book.

Most of the journalists this summer have talked utter utter shite. Luke Edwards saying we've had a good window despite being weaker than we were before. Pete Graves and Downie just tow the sky line.

Barely an original thought amongst the lot of them. More insight, truth and sense is written on this forum almost every day than these clowns and thayts saying something.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not signed up to this, but the standard of sports ‘journalism/reporting’ in this country is shocking :lol:

Love a good analysis type article or good commentary on going’s on ala Culkin RE NUFC under Ashley.

I keep seeing loads of people referring to stuff like 'a blizzard of discontent from supporters'.

Is this really the case? I mean, as I'm sure will be evidenced by the near 50,000 bums on seats on Sunday, the match-going support is as loyal as ever. Meanwhile, well over a thousand people went down to Preston and sang Bruce's name. 16,000 people thought spending money on a friendly was a fair enough investment. You can see folks out and about wearing the new kit. The Facebook community seems extremely balanced, if not representing a picture of happiness rather than unhappiness. The only demonstration that has happened was absolutely minuscule and immediately laughed at by the manager himself.

It seems to me like people in the media are making stuff up again. "Oh, yeah, Newcastle? Rafa to Bruce. I bet they're all p*ssed off up there, aren't they? They're not? Full house on Sunday? I bet they're livid though. Protests n stuff. I'll write that anyway. 'Blizzard of discontent', that sounds good." I'm not in the city at the moment but I really don't feel like there's any evidence to suggest it's anything other than, basically, business as usual.

I hate the notion that Newcastle-Online is insular, and doesn't provide a broad, general view of Newcastle supporters, and basically just represents one side of any argument. But, at times, it does feel like we're a little bit alone in the universe. :lol:

Can we add a poll to one of the threads, like? Just a simple, 'how do you feel about NUFC right now?' With answers ranging from Ecstatic/Optimistic all the way through to Miserable/Hopeless. I'd be really keen to know how the majority of people who view this board actually feel right now. I feel like it would give me some headpeace.

Proper feel like I'm rimming you at the moment Yorkie but once again you've absolutely nailed it.