General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

I gave Calkin a pass for his reporting of the takeover, but his coverage of Bruce is embarrassing.

I get they're pals, but you can be critical without sticking the boot in. His friendship is distorting his job as a journo, which is pretty poor from him.

Pleased it's not just me. I've unsubscribed from the Athletic because of it. Well, that and the fucking imbecile who hosts their podcast. Shittest craic ever. Fucking sausage jokes and general annoying patter.

I wish Caulkin had stayed at the Times and hid behind the veil of being a good journo. The more I hear from him, the less admiration I have.

This Bruce carry on has been beyond on the pail. Total conflict of interest. At least Edwards acknowledges he's a bent cunt when it comes to Bruce.

The guy that hosts the podcast, actually met him a couple weeks ago, he does a bit of music on the side and was playing at this do I was at and he was alreet craic tbf. That podcast is fucking terrible mind, listened to it once back in like April or May 2020. The patter on it is absolutely lifting.

Agree Caulkin was much better at The Times. Waugh tends to do more articles than Caulkin on The Athletic now anyway, but Caulkin just seems a lot less active than he was prior to The Athletic.

Just longing for the day Bruce is gone. I never wanted him when the takeover talk was sounding a lot more realistic than it does now but I'd take consecutive defeats up to the next international break if it meant we approached Howe. Think he'd take it as well. 

4 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Pleased it's not just me. I've unsubscribed from the Athletic because of it. Well, that and the fucking imbecile who hosts their podcast. Shittest craic ever. Fucking sausage jokes and general annoying patter.

I wish Caulkin had stayed at the Times and hid behind the veil of being a good journo. The more I hear from him, the less admiration I have.

This Bruce carry on has been beyond on the pail. Total conflict of interest. At least Edwards acknowledges he's a bent cunt when it comes to Bruce.

Very easy to see that Edwards and Caulkin are very good mates. Him, Baby Ryder and that other total prick who hosts are a total embarrassment on their podcast. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Bruce and Caulkin aren't even mates, he just likes him. 

That's what GC has claimed to prevent becoming the next Edwards but, 100%, they are very old acquaintances. That much is very clear from the early articles and from the fact he told him not to take the job.

Is the stuff re: Caulkin coming mainly from podcasts? His written piece about Bruce on Monday wasn't particularly flattering to him. E.g., "And so those chants, when they came, had a long, dispiriting backstory. It is a club going nowhere, with no obvious plan besides staying where they are and a manager incapable or unable of offering an alternative."

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

Is the stuff re: Caulkin coming mainly from podcasts? His written piece about Bruce on Monday wasn't particularly flattering to him. E.g., "And so those chants, when they came, had a long, dispiriting backstory. It is a club going nowhere, with no obvious plan besides staying where they are and a manager incapable or unable of offering an alternative."

His rhetoric has only recently changed as he's been criticised quite widely for protecting his pal.

5 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Also, when I was subscribing, I NEVER heard him single Bruce out for criticism on their podcast. Not once.

Can anyone really provide a logical explanation for that given Bruce's performance over the last three years? Really? NO criticism.

Mental.

Edited by Minhosa

When they were discussing him getting sacked earlier in the year when we got roasted every week he as good as said he’d never call for him to be sacked. Was on one of the pods where he’d done some Twitter polls IIRC.

Caulkin has Steve Bruce’s mobile and rings him for a chat from time to time, there’s no way he’ll ever write or speak the truth about him.

If anyone doubts this, he talked about it in one of the podcasts back around the first lockdown while the takeover was still actually in play. A particularly dull conversation about fences is the type of crap they talk about.

It’s the kind of relationship that would make Luke Edwards jealous and he’s avoided any and all ridicule over it.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

This club has been neglected for so long that everything that would make it attractive is fast becoming less and less relevant.

As i see it at the moment the only attractive thing is that its a one club city, so money could easily be made with some ambition, direction and enthusiasm.

Things that would have made use appealing in the past are fast disappearing....one of the largest grounds in the UK....dropping down every year as clubs build new grounds and expand.

Formerly world class training facilities  which are now a laughing stock to even Championship clubs

World wide audience....been dropping since the 95-97 days when we were actually entertaining

Good players seeing us as a place to be rather than a 'step up'

Regular European participation as a good thing, not a handicap to playing in the league

Enthusiastic and vigorous fans....beaten into submission and replaced by day trippers who don't really give a stuff.

A spark with the right ingredients would bring this all back almost overnight, but we're trying to light some soggy wood with wet matches and hoping the BIC lighter has enough to heat a tin of beans so we don't starve

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Just seems like he had a good handle on stuff up here, unless I’m mistaken he writes a bit about us? 

Wrote KK's latest book, didn't he? Suppose he rubbed off on him. Unsurprising, if so.

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Just seems like he had a good handle on stuff up here, unless I’m mistaken he writes a bit about us? 

Think he's got family who support us maybe?

He's one of my favourite journalists to read/listen to. I don't think he ever went down the journalism route until he started writing occassionally for F365 and now he's doing really well for himsel