Set pieces

Dunedin

We are the worst team in the Prem at set pieces. Apart from Nobby getting the odd goal we carry very lttle threat. Our corners are so poor I don't know why the crowd gets excited when we win a corner. Surely this could be addressed on the training pitch. Yet another stroke of genius needed from Roeder.

We are the worst team in the Prem at set pieces. Apart from Nobby getting the odd goal we carry very lttle threat. Our corners are so poor I don't know why the crowd gets excited when we win a corner. Surely this could be addressed on the training pitch. Yet another stroke of genius needed from Roeder.

Great post. I've thought about this for ages.......................How can I, playing for a shite Sunday League side, whip in a cross to the Penalty Spot or back stick (virtually) every time when I don't train, don't practice, don't even do it in the fucking warm-ups?

These lads are paid handsomely to train and play yet they can't even cross a decent ball.

I used to say that all the time about Robert who's corners were DREADFUL - he rarely beat the first man.

Granted, we've got no height compared to most teams, but all the same, surely they could work out a routine to compensate for it?

Great post. I've thought about this for ages.......................How can I, playing for a shite Sunday League side, whip in a cross to the Penalty Spot or back stick (virtually) every time when I don't train, don't practice, don't even do it in the f***ing warm-ups?

These lads are paid handsomely to train and play yet they can't even cross a decent ball.

I used to say that all the time about Robert who's corners were DREADFUL - he rarely beat the first man.

Granted, we've got no height compared to most teams, but all the same, surely they could work out a routine to compensate for it?

5  A Side?  :lol:

Great post. I've thought about this for ages.......................How can I, playing for a shite Sunday League side, whip in a cross to the Penalty Spot or back stick (virtually) every time when I don't train, don't practice, don't even do it in the f***ing warm-ups?

5 A Side? :lol:

:lol: No BUT I can reach the pen spot in that too  :thup:

Never mind set-pieces involving feet, why is it we've spent years not only wasting throw-ins but putting ourselves at a major disadvantage by literally chucking possession away to the opposition only yards away from our penalty area? Bloody maddening. We seem determined to make a 15 yard throw or nothing.

Never mind set-pieces involving feet, why is it we've spent years not only wasting throw-ins but putting ourselves at a major disadvantage by literally chucking possession away to the opposition only yards away from our penalty area? Bloody maddening. We seem determined to make a 15 yard throw or nothing.

blueyes.gif  Sadly too bloody true.  We've been shit at throw-ins for years!

We are shit at SP's, every single kind imo. (anything that could be sort of classed as one, were crap at)

Throw-ins.

Goal kicks.

Long throws from goal.

Corners

Defending corners.

Attacking free kicks

Defending free kicks

Pens

I'm actually surprised we can kick off properly tbh.

I bet defenders at the top level would gobble them up for breakfast though. Thing with the new ball is, there's a small sweet spot where if you hit it dead on, it's undefendable...hit it slightly out and it's mishit. Robert would be like that. 8 out of 10 he'd hit wrong, but 2 out of 10 he'd hit it perfectly and it would go right in the penalty spot area with whip and pace. That's my explanation for it anyway.

Guest Gemmill

I've gone on about our throw-ins for years now.  It's ridiculous.  If we get a throw-in anywhere on the pitch we're all but guaranteed to relinquish possession.  Basic coaching has been required in this area for years now.  Successive managers have neglected it.

I've gone on about our throw-ins for years now.  It's ridiculous.  If we get a throw-in anywhere on the pitch we're all but guaranteed to relinquish possession.  Basic coaching has been required in this area for years now.  Successive managers have neglected it.

Wonder what Supermac thinks? He mentions in his autobiography how in Gordon Lee's first training session, he picked up a ball and said, "Right, this is how to take a throw-in", and it was the moment Supermac lost all respect for him. Perhaps Gordon Lee can return to the club as our Throw-In Coach.

I bet defenders at the top level would gobble them up for breakfast though. Thing with the new ball is, there's a small sweet spot where if you hit it dead on, it's undefendable...hit it slightly out and it's mishit. Robert would be like that. 8 out of 10 he'd hit wrong, but 2 out of 10 he'd hit it perfectly and it would go right in the penalty spot area with whip and pace. That's my explanation for it anyway.

I accept that most decent Defenders would eat the Sunday League corners up, of course they would, but how is that an excuse for not being able to beat the first man FFS?

I don't think Robert achieved anything like 2/10 - not in the games I was watching.

Because if they simply float a ball in so it beats the first man, the keeper or defender heads away easily. Hit the "sweet spot" and it's almost impossible for that. It's the same with long-range shots. Hit the sweet spot and it flies towards the top corner, hit it one centimetre either side and it swerves away badly, sails over the bar, etc.

Because if they simply float a ball in so it beats the first man, the keeper or defender heads away easily. Hit the "sweet spot" and it's almost impossible for that. It's the same with long-range shots. Hit the sweet spot and it flies towards the top corner, hit it one centimetre either side and it swerves away badly, sails over the bar, etc.

Your mistaking beating the first man and having to float the ball in. You don't have to float the ball in just to simply beat the first man and you don't have to hit the ball in the same spot everytime to guarantee a good delivery.

Guest nufc 4 life

We are shit at SP's, every single kind imo. (anything that could be sort of classed as one, were crap at)

Throw-ins.- yup

Goal kicks.- no given is a good kicker

Long throws from goal.-yup

Corners-yup f***ing emre can't take corners too save his life rarely beats the 1st man

Defending corners.-were not that bad

Attacking free kicks-damn right why is emre taking them when nobby is on the pitch

Defending free kicks- not too bad

Pens- no way we won against watford on penalties. martins spot kick shearer for however many years

I'm actually surprised we can kick off properly tbh. lol only occasionally

Optimistic,

Take for example the Drogba strike last night and the recent Essien strike.

Both players hit the ball at completely different points (Drogba curled the ball by striking the bottom right whereas Essien smashed the ball right through the middle). Both were damn good shots and both struck the ball in the manner which they intended - which one hit the sweet spot?

Nail on

Guest nufc 4 life

Nail on

agreed

Optimistic,

Take for example the Drogba strike last night and the recent Essien strike.

Both players hit the ball at completely different points (Drogba curled the ball by striking the bottom right whereas Essien smashed the ball right through the middle). Both were damn good shots and both struck the ball in the manner which they intended - which one hit the sweet spot?

And that's a totally different thing. I mean, the Drogba technique for his goal if he used as a corner would probably have been a decent cross. But what good would Essien's have been as a cross? You can hit a ball in different ways to beat a goalkeeper from a shot, but there's only one way you can hit it if you want that swirling one that zips in fast head height and dipping between the 6-yard box and penalty spot, which Robert used to attempt and Emre & Milner do now.