Owen

sempuki

Glenn has Owen comeback fear

By MARTIN BLACKBURN

December 22, 2006

GLENN ROEDER admits it will be a ‘massive bonus’ if Michael Owen returns to action this season.

The Newcastle hitman is refusing to write off the campaign after undergoing successful surgery on a cruciate knee ligament.

But Roeder fears Owen, 27, will have to wait until next term to make his comeback.

The Toon boss said: “Michael says it is feeling strong and he reckons there’s a chance we might get him fit before the end of the season.

“If that happens it would be a massive bonus. I can’t tell you what a bonus it would be to have Michael fit before the end of the season. But we also have to accept there’s a potential that it might not happen.

“I think it’s important his aim is to get back before the end of the season. He’s right to set that target and I hope he makes it.

“But Michael hasn’t kicked a ball yet — he’s nowhere near being able to do that.”

Rather not rush his comeback & give him time to find his old form again (hoping, of course, that there's no lasting damage to his game) than have him push himself to get ready by the end of the season & re-injure himself. I think it's good that he's set himself a goal of getting back in this season, but I hope our fitness staff will keep him from doing anything stupid in the process.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Would rather have him back next season and be safe in the knowledge of knowing he will be ok.

why? He'll be crocked within 15 games again

One thing we cannot criticise Roeder for is rushing players back, he has given each one of our players time, even denied Given a comeback for one game even though Given was determined to play. As long as Roeder doesn't bow to Owen pressure or FA pressure for that matter then I think he will handle the situation okay.

As someone said earlier it would be good to see Owen back at some point this season but the most important thing is that the lad is fit for our pre-season program. Excuse my French but f**k England and the FA we pay his wages and club is most important part (or should be) of a players career.

Guest the_serbian_mag

Please don't rush him back.

Better to have him 100% for next season than risking some serious injury for the sake of a couple of games at the end of the season...TBH I don't think any of those games will be cup finals or CL finish deciders, so...

dont think its roeder setting any pressure.

owen talked about a return in march, himself.  I think he IS feeling guilty about how little hes played and how much hes been given in return.

probably owen is bored out of his skull and is desperate to play footy again.

dont think its roeder setting any pressure.

owen talked about a return in march, himself.   I think he IS feeling guilty about how little hes played and how much hes been given in return.

probably owen is bored out of his skull and is desperate to play footy again.

Doubt he feels guilty, he's probably just bored.

One thing we cannot criticise Roeder for is rushing players back, he has given each one of our players time

Not so long ago Roeder insisted on playing an utterly unfit Shola Ameobi, who was about to board a plane to America for surgery, instead of Rossi or even Luque.