New Striking Options

Mr. Slugworth

Sorry if this has been covered on other threads.  It's hardly a secret that we're after a new striker/stikers in the January window (especially with Rossi and Luque certain to leave).  Unless we buy, we'll only have:

Martins, Sibierski, (Owen), (Ameobi).

Clearly, we need another couple of forwards, preferably a big target man and a 6-yard box poacher.  So the question is, who would you like to see fill these roles?  Not sure about this Boya guy but he sounds like he's a long way off.

My preference would be for a player to hold up play i.e. Crouch, Carew, Zigic or Koller or even Beattie (could work) and a young English goalscorer like Eastwood or Nugent.

Even with that, we'd need to replace Sibbers at some point.

How does everyone see Glenn fitting Owen and Martins into the same team? Can't see how it would work...

A Berbatov/Klose type striker would be ideal, however neither can or would come to SJP.

Zigic has just moved to Spain. Koller is too old. Beattie is shite IMO, can't control his own weight ect...

Trezeguet? Does he still want to stay at Juventus?

Danny Koevermans - AZ striker looks like he knows where the net is.

Sorry if this has been covered on other threads. It's hardly a secret that we're after a new striker/stikers in the January window (especially with Rossi and Luque certain to leave). Unless we buy, we'll only have:

Martins, Sibierski, (Owen), (Ameobi).

Clearly, we need another couple of forwards, preferably a big target man and a 6-yard box poacher. So the question is, who would you like to see fill these roles? Not sure about this Boya guy but he sounds like he's a long way off.

My preference would be for a player to hold up play i.e. Crouch, Carew, Zigic or Koller or even Beattie (could work) and a young English goalscorer like Eastwood or Nugent.

Even with that, we'd need to replace Sibbers at some point.

How does everyone see Glenn fitting Owen and Martins into the same team? Can't see how it would work...

I've been saying we should sign Beattie for ages. Blackburn are rumoured to be interested and have been talking about £2m. £2m quid is nothing to risk on an English striker, proven in the top league, hungry to prove a point who rarely gets injured.

I challenge anyone to find a better VALUE acquisition than Beattie based on age, ability, and investment RISK.

edit - sorry, forgot to say, I wouldn't sign another forward if we got a target man. We've got enough cover to play a target man up front on his own or with Milner/Dyer or Emre IF Martins got injured.

James Beattie could be on the move for £2m.

Worth a gamble?

I think so.

I would take the gamble, at worst I think he would be a slightly better Sibierski. If he managed to get back to his best (could happen) we would have a bargain.

Obviously I said we didn't need strikers though so disregard that comment  bluewink.gif

James Beattie could be on the move for £2m.

Worth a gamble?

I think so.

I would take the gamble, at worst I think he would be a slightly better Sibierski. If he managed to get back to his best (could happen) we would have a bargain.

Obviously I said we didn't need strikers though so disregard that comment  bluewink.gif

But..but..but what if there is no money left after buying the defenders we need more?

Oh I know. Bad planning. We should always have enough money to buy the players you want the club to buy.

to be honest, the more I think about it, I would say Striker is the second most important berth for us to fill after LB now - one injury to Oba and we look very weak, whereas if we bring in a solid LB we have a decent amount of cover (Ramps, Nobby, Taylor, Moore, Bramble, Baba, Hunts, even Carr) if not real quality. Picking someone up for about £4m who could get us 5-10 league goals would be decent, but I can't think of too many candidates!

For 4 million? McBride, Doyle, King, Nugent, Viduka, Beattie and Carlton Cole could all get 10 goals per season and would all be decent additions providing they stay injury free for that price.

King is out for the season (the OP was on about January), Doyle is keeping Reading up so I don't think they'd sell him and i'm not sure we'd get Nugent for £4m. Of the others i'd go for Viduka.

For 4 million? McBride, Doyle, King, Nugent, Viduka, Beattie and Carlton Cole could all get 10 goals per season and would all be decent additions providing they stay injury free for that price.

I'm not sure Reading or Watford (they desperately need the goals) would sell for that price. McBride could do a job a la Sibierski, but I'd rather we thought more long term than that. Same goes for Viduka really, although he's a class act when he can be bothered. I wouldn't go for Carlton Cole personally, although he is young and theoretically cheap, as he doesn't seem to be getting many games these days.

Nugent sounds promising, but I've not seen to much of him, and I wouldn't pay over £2m for Beatts. None of those suggestions really excite me, although I stand to be corrected.

McBride - no better than sibbi - no point

Doyle - gamble & Reading will demand too much - £6m minimum

King - Shite & injured championship player

Nugent - Over-priced not in form - £6m? No ta

Viduka - Fat, lazy, arshole, wanker Ozzie, Smoggy, over paid, over fed, under talented waste of oxygen

Cole - hahahahahahahaha hohohohohohohohohoho hehehehehehehehehehe - sensible suggestions only please ;)

Beattie - Worth a crack at £2m.

Watford are almost certain to go down without King so he would be looking to leave. A club like us would perfect for him. Yeah in the summer as forgot he's crocked now.

Id honestly prefer Mcbride to Viduka, he would cost less, gets injured less, puts a hell of a lot more effort in from what I've seen. Only drawback is he's getting on a bit I suppose. I'll be very interested to see who Roeder goes for.

Viduka - Fat, lazy, arshole, wanker Ozzie, Smoggy, over paid, over fed, under talented waste of oxygen

Cole - hahahahahahahaha hohohohohohohohohoho hehehehehehehehehehe - sensible suggestions only please ;)

I sort of agree, but it shows how desperate we are for strikers that Beattie would be a good buy when you remember that only a couple of years ago most of us laughed at the idea.

I sort of agree, but it shows how desperate we are for strikers that Beattie would be a good buy when you remember that only a couple of years ago most of us laughed at the idea.

Laughed at him for £7-8m, and we were all right in that respect, Everton were wrong.

£2m for him now is no laughing matter, seeing the return Sibby has given us, players like Beattie, who you know can do better can be a bargain buy, especially when we really just need a stop gap type player till the summer.

I wouldn't have laughed at it. He was quality in his Southampton days.