Non-NUFC games you've attended / are attending

Guest neesy111

• 2 months later...

Ross county vs Rangers tonight. Don’t think I’ve ever been as cold as that at a match. So lucky I don’t support a team in Scotland and watch every other week😂

Edited by AJ9

Last one was Morecambe v Portsmouth, just because I was in the area at the time. Shitey terrace all along the touchline - thought the 1980s Leazes end was bad enough... and shocking standards of footie; ended up a 1-1 draw. You were very close to the players though, nearly hit by a lump of turf carved up from some scything tackle. Passed the time I guess...! 

4 hours ago, La Parka said:

Going down Harrogate vs Grimsby on 26th.

Last game I was at was Rossington Main vs Selby. 5-2. Ground was ok, decent locals. The "stands" seated about 16 people in 3 rows and it was retro as fuck.

Rossington as in Doncaster Rossington?

Did your car get pinched?

Edited by Stifler

Best non NUFC game I attended was Bolton 6-1 Spurs in the League Cup during the mid 90's at Burnden Park. Teddy Sheringham spent the afternoon in Gudni Bergsson's pocket, although briefly appeared to score a decent goal iirc. Scott Sellars played for Bolton and Ruel Fox for Spurs. Weird night that one.

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Homes of Football esque some of those pictures and the atmosphere Yorkie.

Was not aware of that book! Thanks for the presumed compliment. :lol:

It was a great occasion tbh, despite the freezing fog. The quality is National League level but the ref let everything go; lethal 50-50s, bone-crunching two-footers, various handbags. Was like watching something from the early 90s I would say. 

A good football-watching experience though. £12 a ticket for a game at the highest level in this country and with a bit resting on it. Busy enough for there to be a canny atmosphere but sparse enough for four of us to choose great seats. Loads of women and kids; easy to grab a pint at half-time; close enough to the dugouts to hear the craic. My lass and her sister had a blast and preferred the experience - due to the ease of it - to going to SJP, which saddens me but I do get it. Just grateful that she'd take-in any live football tbh. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wife's mackem friend and husband stayed with us in Hertfordshire when Sunderland played Norwich in League Cup final.  Went along as they had a spare ticket.  Couldn't help but have a sly snigger when Barry Venison put through his own net!!!!!

• 2 months later...

I went to Pacific FC v Vancouver FC today in the opening weekend of the new Canadian Premier League Season. Pacific are Victoria's team (or perhaps could be seen more broadly as Vancouver Island's) and Vancouver FC are a brand new team from the city of Vancouver (separate to Vancouver White Caps).

It was good crack- a sell out at 4k. I've been once before. There was a bit more excitement this being a 'local' derby against a new team. Unusually for US/Canadian football there was a proportionally significant away section, and when Pacific scored the player made a full pelt beeline for the away fans to goad them, loved it :lol: Ended 1-0.

Was quite amused by the small pocket of Vancouver fans, with tifo displays and everything, wondering what they were doing on their weekends last season since this was literally their first ever match.

I was at Carlisle vs Northampton yesterday, 4th vs 2nd and Carlisle would have gone above their opponents if they won, so a big match. It finished 0-0 and wasn't the best spectacle in the world, and probably looking like playoffs now for the Cumbrians, but still a decent day out, and the weather helped. It also meant I missed watching our match on TV which wasn't a bad thing, and I deleted my BT Sport recording of the match as soon as I got back in the house :lol:

8 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

I went to Pacific FC v Vancouver FC today in the opening weekend of the new Canadian Premier League Season. Pacific are Victoria's team (or perhaps could be seen more broadly as Vancouver Island's) and Vancouver FC are a brand new team from the city of Vancouver (separate to Vancouver White Caps).

It was good crack- a sell out at 4k. I've been once before. There was a bit more excitement this being a 'local' derby against a new team. Unusually for US/Canadian football there was a proportionally significant away section, and when Pacific scored the player made a full pelt beeline for the away fans to goad them, loved it :lol: Ended 1-0.

Was quite amused by the small pocket of Vancouver fans, with tifo displays and everything, wondering what they were doing on their weekends last season since this was literally their first ever match.

When I was younger I spent the summer of 2005 working in Victoria and seeing a bit of the US/Canada Pacific coast. Brilliant place. The mackems organised a series of games in that area for their pre-season that year. They got slapped 3-0 off the Whitecaps iirc.  But the biggest embarrassment would surely have been the game they played in Victoria at Royal Athletic Park. Their opponents were the "BC Allstars" which comprised of (I think) players from College teams across the province who had been assembled for that game. To say the BC team weren't taking it particularly seriously would be an understatement, they were in the bar at the Strathcona building at lunchtime and pretty much drew the starting line-up (and formation iirc) out of a hat :lol: and I remember hearing one of them say if they kept the score to single figures they'd be happy with that.

As for the match, I only got there for the last 5 minutes after work so didn't see most of the game but the mackems only won 1-0. They went on to have one of their record-breaking Prem seasons that year!

Devon derby, Exeter v Plymouth for me yesterday. Ground No 90 of the 92 done. 12 o'clock KO. Had it arranged for months so unfortunate that it fell at the same time as the toon game, or maybe not in view of our result. Am pointless so barred out from away games generally anyway. Flew down to Bristol then bussed it rest of the way Friday. Met some 'Poolies' on my flight heading to Newport. Quite a highly charged atmosphere down there with the stone island crews out in force. Had to show ID and proof of my address to get into Spoons for breakfast as they didn't want any match goers in. Took some explaining on my part to get in. "A neutral?" said the doorman. Lovely sunny day and a full house. Had to applaud lots of Exeters play so as I wasn't sitting on my hands too much and got mistaken for a Plymouth fan. I did want Plymouth to win after they graciously played 'we are the champions' after we won the championship and relegated them at the same time. Also a memory from my teenage years is lower league Exeter humiliating us 4-0 In an fa cup replay (circa 1979). Broadcast on BBCs 'Sportsnight'. Younger readers will have to ask their parents. Have to say they've got a fantastic terrace behind one goal. Possibly the best in the country given its size. The loonies in there crept nearer the front as the game wore on to the point they were hanging over the pitchside boards, faces contorted with hate and anger as Plymouth took corners in front of them. Wished I'd got a good pic. As for the result Plymouth were fortunate to scrape it 1-0. Trains back via London with a few pints between trains. Last journey made more interesting by listening to 3 disgruntled Darlo fans returning from a 3-0  loss at Brackley. Another good experience over all.

Edited by Scoreboard82

On 24/12/2022 at 00:03, AJ9 said:

Ross county vs Rangers tonight. Don’t think I’ve ever been as cold as that at a match. So lucky I don’t support a team in Scotland and watch every other week😂

Was a pretty mild winter this year tbf 😂 

Just realised it would come across as a bit random, without pointing out that I live in Moray, so not too far from where the Staggies play. In fact the Borough Brigs where Elgin City play has the old seats from the last time St James' was updated.

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

On 20/01/2023 at 12:45, Ankles Bennett said:

Wife's mackem friend and husband stayed with us in Hertfordshire when Sunderland played Norwich in League Cup final.  Went along as they had a spare ticket.  Couldn't help but have a sly snigger when Barry Venison put through his own net!!!!!

Just seen this, Gordon Chisholm scored the own goal. The best bit was when Clive Walker put his penalty wide of the post. Looked like he’d scored from where we were. I was there with a mini bus of Sunderland fans and my mate give me a spare ticket the night before as they couldn’t get anyone else to go at short notice. Crazy.

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Was a pretty mild winter this year tbf 😂 

Just realised it would come across as a bit random, without pointing out that I live in Moray, so not too far from where the Staggies play. In fact the Borough Brigs where Elgin City play has the old seats from the last time St James' was updated.

That’s a cool bit of NUFC history, will get myself along one time. Just moved to Inverness last year - there’s actually the odd bit of NUFC history tied to different parts up here. Nice to know there’s some fellow NUFC fans round these parts!

6 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

When I was younger I spent the summer of 2005 working in Victoria and seeing a bit of the US/Canada Pacific coast. Brilliant place. The mackems organised a series of games in that area for their pre-season that year. They got slapped 3-0 off the Whitecaps iirc.  But the biggest embarrassment would surely have been the game they played in Victoria at Royal Athletic Park. Their opponents were the "BC Allstars" which comprised of (I think) players from College teams across the province who had been assembled for that game. To say the BC team weren't taking it particularly seriously would be an understatement, they were in the bar at the Strathcona building at lunchtime and pretty much drew the starting line-up (and formation iirc) out of a hat :lol: and I remember hearing one of them say if they kept the score to single figures they'd be happy with that.

As for the match, I only got there for the last 5 minutes after work so didn't see most of the game but the mackems only won 1-0. They went on to have one of their record-breaking Prem seasons that year!

Haha class :lol:

(Never seen a mackem in Victoria. Seen a couple of Newcastle fans though - my boss is one.)

Going to PSV Eindhoven v Ajax this weekend. It's usually a pretty fiesty affair shall we say! Usually I'd be very excited about this but as it now means I'll miss the Spurs game and won't even be able to watch it over there on TV as KO times are only 30 mins apart there's very much mixed emotions.