Borderlands 3 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Sima

Anyone picked this up yet?  Grabbed it digitally for £34.99 from one of the key sites and have been playing it for a couple of hours.

Don't know what to think yet, maybe I'm just fatigued with looter shooters in general but this isn't grabbing me in the way that 1 & 2 did.

1 and 2 are amongst my absolute favourite games, but I think I'm with you in the sense that it's time has come and gone. It needs to be different, and from what I'm hearing this is more of the same.

The internet has moved on from 2010 already.

Might do a try before you buy kind of thing.

Yeah, pretty much. They tweaked the Action Skills in a way I like, in that you can choose from multiple skills and augment them depending on which tree you use, but it's just sort of more of the same. I'm enjoying it, but not sure I'll do all characters to max like I did with the others.

Playing it more, they did make some pretty good changes to combat/brand stuff. Like, Vladof now has an underbarrel secondary fire, usually elemental. Maliwan has dual elemental selection, Jakob’s ricochet on a critical hit, Tediores do different things like home or split into MIRVs, Dahl can Select burst fire or fully auto, Hyperion have a forward shield that increases damage as it gets weaker. Atlas is back, with homing trackers to guide your shots. Bandit (COV) pulls ammo directly from your pool, no magazine to reload, but they overheat.

Plus using a brand gives you loyalty rewards from that manufacturer, usually a blue or purple weapon every 100 kills.

Torgue has a secondary fire that fires sticky bullets that all detonate on reload and multiply damage based on how many shots stick to a target. Super fun to watch health bars shred. Also, semi-big change that I really like, Class Mods no longer need you to have spent a point in a skill for the bonuses to begin working.

No slag or explosive as an element, added cryo and radiation (spreads to nearby enemies) instead. Enemies use cover and tactics much more. Also the host can choose between instanced loot where everyone gets the same stuff, or classic BL where you fight over it.

Yes. Framerate massively drops at times, characters repeat the same voiceline from a mission you've already finished and overall it's just really buggy. I even had a instance where the image of a gun with stats on it was stuck in the middle of my screen for over 5 minutes so i couldn't see what i was shooting at.  :lol:

I would be really frustrated if i wasn't playing with friends, but something about playing with friends means it just turns into a laugh and you shrug it off.

It's really fun, unfortunately it's also one of the buggiest games i've played in years :lol:

Having any performance issues?  Sounds like it's poorly optimised.

There was a point where I couldn't move the highlight on the skills screen with a joypad so I had to use kb/m instead.  The game is very poorly optimised mind considering the engine it runs on.  Had to drop down to 1440p to get 60fps on my 1080Ti.  Even dropping to medium on 4K only reached 40fps.