Watchmen - Game of Throne's Rules Apply Herein

• 1 month later...

very good opening episode.

Never read the books, only ever watched the movie, so surprised how completely different it is to the movie.

This is set 30 years after the movie/book, so it's all fairly new even if you've read them. The only main difference (Major spoilers for the movie/book, trivial spoilers for the episode)

In the book, Veidt's plan was to fake an attack on New York by a giant squid alien, rather than blowing up lots of cities and blaming it on Dr. Manhattan. This plays into the squid rain (somehow, presumably) and the question about interdimensional attacks being a hoax during the interrogation. One would assume that the Seventh Kavalry arose as a result of Rorschach's diary being published, sort of a right-wing Rorschach cult.

Beyond that, book readers are pretty much in the dark about why things are the way they are now.

Thanks for this, I watched the first episode yesterday and I wondered how historical that scene was, since I had never heard of the episode before (granted, I'm not a yank despite spending some years living there).

The fact the attackers had a plane bombing the blacks seemed a bit fantasy-like, but apparently that did happen. Wow.

Thanks for this, I watched the first episode yesterday and I wondered how historical that scene was, since I had never heard of the episode before (granted, I'm not a yank despite spending some years living there).

The fact the attackers had a plane bombing the blacks seemed a bit fantasy-like, but apparently that did happen. Wow.

Me too, was genuinely shocked it was on that scale. Dreadful that it's not more well known.

I'm pretty certain I didn't learn about it until I was out of college. College experiences will differ, but I'm willing to bet it's still not widely taught in primary schools. And that is just insane.

Sequel set years after I think, not sure how closely they will tie everything back after one ep.

Is it a sequel to the book or the movie?

That I'm not sure of as it feels like both after one ep. Anyone else know?

• 2 weeks later...