Newcastle United 1-0 Manchester United - 06/10/19

Disco

I am too far gone. I watched on in despair. Gutted that we beat Man u ffs. What makes the whole thing worse is the Longstaff brothers. I was a big fan of their dad back in the day for the Whitley Warriors. They are from where I'm from, this should be like a dream come true but it is all totally ruined for me.

Grim.

I am too far gone. I watched on in despair. Gutted that we beat Man u ffs. What makes the whole thing worse is the Longstaff brothers. I was a big fan of their dad back in the day for the Whitley Warriors. They are from where I'm from, this should be like a dream come true but it is all totally ruined for me.

Grim.

Proper s*** like innit, i tried to at least enjoy Sunday night with the win, i couldn't.

f*** off Ashley.

Grim.

Yep - nice to see Shortstaff do so well but zero pleasure from me watching us fluke/edge a win over them.

Grim.

Proper s*** like innit, i tried to at least enjoy Sunday night with the win, i couldn't.

f*** off Ashley.

Nothing changes for me, I'm still sick of MA, Bruce is really not going to prove he's up to it, ever for me. But I enjoyed the match as a whole and was happy for Matty and the Longstaff family. I was proud of the players and enjoyed seeing them play to their abilities.

Froggy picking fights on a Newcastle fans forum defending his beloved Man United :lol: Trying to make comparisons between a club that spunked loads of cash on top quality talent over the past 5 years and has won everything there is to be won as a football club versus a club who paid compensation for Steve Bruce and finally spent some money on some unproven talent.

I wasn't making any comparisons. I was merely pointing out that's it not as black and white as, "you spent £130m, you should have beaten us."

Why not? He’s a Man U fan on a Newcastle forum. You’d expect a bit of humility (not just talking about this thread)

I've been on here a long, long time and mostly stay of out football threads. When the discussion leads its way towards Man United then of course I'll have things to say. Aside from that I've been largely sympathetic towards the situation with Ashley.

I wouldn't say getting rid of Lukaku and putting Rashford centre-stage was a mistake TBH, although obviously they look a bad side.

It’s very risky when you don’t have a proven goal scorer (no matter what people think of lukaku he has a good record) and placing a lot of pressure on a young player. If you’re not buying a striker it’s a big risk imo

It was a major mistake. Every fan was happy for Lukaku to go as he didn't want to be here, but we expected a CF to be brought in as well. Even still I was cautiously optimistic with a pecking order of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood. Martials absence has highlighted how short we are though.

Not sure if I agree with the tone of the posts against Froggy, here.

I bring it on myself by getting heated about my team on a Newcastle forum, but some people are just minging tbh. :lol: it usually gets heated between me and them around once a year.

Pogba & Martial were the only first team attackers you had out weren’t they? I know Lingard too but he is shite. Scary that you offered no threat at all.

Aye.

I know Lingard gets an awful lot of stick but he makes very clever runs and creates a lot of space for the likes of Rashford/Mata/Pogba to work with. His return in terms of goals and assists has been dreadful though.

We have no real creativity in midfield. Fred has lost me after I've defended him for ages. He's neat and tidy but does fuck all. McTominay will drive forward and make things happen but ultimately doesn't have that creative spark. I actually feel sorry for McTominay in midfield at the moment. The lack of creativity when there is no Pogba is staggering.

Letting Herrera go was arguably the biggest mistake in the summer.

Rashford isn't a striker

Very clear now. That's where he wished to play and he got his wish. He'll be back on the left once Martial is fit.

How do you rate Rashford generally? Don't know what to think of him personally

Grim.

f*** off Ashley.

As much as I hate everything with the club anybody who didn't feel anything when he scored the winner is just wrong.  I hate Ashley and don't care what we do largely but him scoring the winner against Man Utd on his debut at 19 is something. Its bloody frustrating for me as I was done but I do want to see both of them do well.

A club the size of Man Utd getting rid of a £75m striker, one of the top 4-5 in the league, on a whim to keep a kid happy. :lol:

We got rid of Lukaku because he didn't want to be there and was becoming a disruption. Then instead of signing someone on a free like Llorente we had faith in Martial and Rashford, which has turned out to be the wrong decision.

How do you rate Rashford generally? Don't know what to think of him personally

He hasn't quite kicked on as well as I expected him to. Still a good player who is being completely starved of service of the minute and running himself into the ground. Important to remember that he's still only 21.

A club the size of Man Utd getting rid of a £75m striker, one of the top 4-5 in the league, on a whim to keep a kid happy. :lol:

That’s a fairly ridiculous way to put it.

Well he was left out of the side while they bent over backwards to keep a kid happy who's done nowhere near what Lukaku has achieved. Only now they're discovering he's not a centre-forward and it's cost them big time.

You wouldn't expect a club of the magnitude of Man United to do that. They'd have signed another striker to replace Lukaku if that wasn't their thinking.

Grim.

f*** off Ashley.

As much as I hate everything with the club anybody who didn't feel anything when he scored the winner is just wrong.  I hate Ashley and don't care what we do largely but him scoring the winner against Man Utd on his debut at 19 is something. Its bloody frustrating for me as I was done but I do want to see both of them do well.

"Just wrong"

It's Ashley that is wrong mate, do you think me and thousands of other NUFC fans WANT to not care?

It f***ing hurts me that i didn't feel anything, but that is how bad Ashley has made it.

Guest Howaythetoon

A couple of points about Rashford...

I rate him a lot and think he has the potential to be a top top player, but right now he’s at a point in his career where he needs a lot of help if he’s to reach that standard, and that’s more because I don’t think he has enough natural talent the likes of Rooney possessed in abundance to perform to another level or more on his own esteem or the single mindedness in terms of his mentality to push himself to a higher level. He is no Wellbeck or Walcott though, talented players who had lots of potential, but never quite enough to ever be at more than the level they reached.

Rashford is different, he’s of a new generation of young English talent coming through a system that will produce a lot of Rashford’s who on the flip side are more rounded as players capable of playing a number of roles not wedded to one position as an a typical player to suit a particular formation or system. The downside to that is, because he’s not a World Beater like a Rooney was, he’s someone who right now, needs to develop his own game to one particular role or position or develop his entire game to another level where he can perform at the very highest level as a player who can play as a forward through the middle centrally or alongside someone left or right with equal quality.

Right now, he’s kind of lost, he is a forward and plays forward, but he’s not a wide forward or a centre-forward or anything. He can score goals, make runs, get into positions and has pace, strength and good skills on the ball enough to do a decent job and he will because he’s a good player.

But without help and guidance first he won’t become a top top player. What he needs is a Rafa who can look at his game and identify what it is he has to work on and whether or not he can develop his entire game enough to perform up front left or right, centrally or on his own or in a two or whether he needs to fix down hard on becoming one or the other type of striker and only that.

Rafa helped Torres’ game so much he went from being someone who played up front as a striker, but wasn’t playing as one at the level of standard others were. He could score goals and perform well, but without Rafa’s guidance and help he would never have developed into what was for me at that time at Liverpool was arguably the most complete forward and striker in the world.

He obviously had the right mentality to want to be the best or the best he could be, but he also had Raf and was at the right environment surrounded by leaders and a dressing room of players who demanded certain standards.

Rashford has but just the talent right now. He’s managed by a meak character inexperienced and inept in OGS in a culture where standards are measured in social media followers, likes and an Instagram and fashion clothing label dressing room full of wannabe celebrities and socialites and not elite athletes, footballers, champions and sportsmen.

The likes of Gary Neville playing now for this Man Utd team would be another Ashley Young, he too was helped by having players like Roy Keane around him who epitomised the culture Fergie created at that club, high standards, football first every time all the time, winning, being the best.

Rashford in that team would be another Cole or van Nistelroy, not in terms of scoring numbers even, but in terms of performing to the highest level against league and European teams week in week out at a level above most.

He’s at a point now where he needs to move. He’s 21, all the training, gym work and practice sessions in the world won’t teach him how to be a top striker or forward, eventually your own natural instinct that you’ve gotten so far on and by to make it this far will succumb to needing that perfect cross, that slip by a defender, that snap shot strike or the rub of the green taking over and your source to perform, or not.

He’s better than that IMO. Just look at Sterling under Pep, Salah under Klopp, Shearer under Sir Bobby compared to Gullit.

There are other issues of course, fitness, poor service, burnt out, pressure and expectations. The best find their way out!

Yeah, it's not clear where Rashford's strengths really lie. At the very, very top level, I feel that a manager is either going to opt for someone who is more clearly a number 9, or a player who is better out wide or in a withdrawn role.

Young Rooney was an explosive ball of raw talent. The only debate is really whether it could have been allowed to burn as brightly as possible or whether Ferguson was right to mold him into a (still brilliant) intelligent team player who ended up as a kind of second fiddle to Ronaldo. He had the talent to deserve it, but a team was never built around Rooney.

Man U were super successful during the Rooney years, so Ferguson was probably right. Football is a results business etc. etc. The flip side is that strikers with that mix of power, skill, and pace are exceptional, we are talking Mbappe or Brazilian Ronaldo level, so purist fans will want to see them go out and destroy teams single handed. Man U destroyed many teams with Rooney, but it was often with Rooney playing David Silva-type thoughballs, not bursting through like Mbappe.