Disco Elysium

LV

Playing some Disco Elysium. Not really gotten anywhere yet, but it is a bit of an odd, but interesting, game. To me it feels like it is borrowing a lot from Planescape: Torment, being as you wake up with amnesia in this game as well.

Only you're also waking up naked, hungover and with amnesia in a hostel room. Very soon you figure out that you are there to solve a murder as well as figure out who you are again.

The game is very dialogue heavy. Most of the time your skill checks happens in the dialogues as well... oh and all the skills also communicate with you with their different personalities when they give you feedback, which they do often.

During critical moments if you fail your skill-checks you will either lose morale or health. If either reaches zero it is game over.

I like it so far, it is very intriguing.

Currently playing.

After the game screwed me over for a roll to progress the game I have taken a break from it though.

I'll go back and complete it when I'm not upset with the game anymore. :lol:

I think it is a really good game. It's more of a point and click adventure with RPG mechanics rather than a typical RPG. Since there is no combat for example.

Not for me personally, but I can see it being a problem for others.

It is a game that demands a lot of patience since you are mainly just running around to figure out if everything in the game is connected or not. Which also means that you will have to remember small hints from previous dialogues.

The game rewards you for talking with everyone though. Even if the NPC might not be important to the plot in general you still get XP from talking with them most of the time.

During all the dialogue all your skills also chime in with their own personalities. They serve as your intuition and can give you hints during the dialogue.

These skills can mislead you however.

It's more like playing a novel I'd say. It's a good novel that isn't afraid of brining up politics, racism, sexism and what else that it gives your character a chance to reflect upon.

Going to give this a bash tonight. Looking to take advantage of steam's refund policy to see if I like it or not. This is a big leap for me. I struggle to buy into most RPGs, so maybe the noteworthy quality of their dialogue will get me on board.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has some of the best writing I've seen in a game, laughed out loud a few times.  But it doesn't really explain its mechanisms that well.  I failed a skill check and died for apparently no reason because it hadn't explained morale to me.

This has some of the best writing I've seen in a game, laughed out loud a few times.  But it doesn't really explain its mechanisms that well.  I failed a skill check and died for apparently no reason because it hadn't explained morale to me.

You can even die from sitting in a not so comfortable chair, kicking a mailbox or just turning on the light at the start. It's supposed to be outrageous.

You can heal your health and morale before they reach zero if you have healing items. Even if you only have one in either of them.