Sheffield Utd 0-2 Newcastle Utd - 05/12/19 - Post-match reaction from page 18

Disco

We'd be livid though were the boot on the other foot.  Still a correct decision

We would, but the anger would be directed at our players who stopped. I’m sure recently there has been times when we have stopped playing when we think play has stopped for an injury to one of our players or such and the opposition have scored. Nothing as obvious as last night, but enough to let the other team score.

We’d be livid with our defenders, keeper and linesman; rightly so. The linesman was in no position to be able to judge and simply guessed which was totally the wrong thing to do. Linesman deserves a couple of weeks doing Sunday League for what he did, he then called another marginal offside shortly after which looked on to me but the tv decided not to properly look at.

We were poor in the first half yesterday, but in saying that we did an away game performance well.

Sheffield United were nothing special, they lacked creativity and a spark. Most of their chances were down to the law of average of having the ball so much, and so deep. I honestly think their position and good start is down to a combination of the bounce off being promoted, and taking advantage of most teams having very distinct off days this season, than any real talent.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up like one of the promoted teams who have a great first half of a season, then drop like a stone in the 2nd half of the season.

Even allowing for the change of mindset that VAR has brought about and the express instructions the referee gave the players before the game, there is no one to blame for the second goal other than Sheffield's own players.

Sure the linesman lifted his flag, the referee waved play on, it happens in every game and is one of the first things children are taught when they start to play football. Their fault they didn't play to the whistle.

As Shelvey runs onto the ball their defence is in terrible shape giving him a clear run at goal. Their fault.

The goalkeeper appears to stop playing but was that an attempt by him to influence the decision knowing they had fucked up?  Lionel Barthez tried to be clever by doing that a few times.

Their fans, manager etc have every right to be livid but only with their own team who brought this upon themselves entirely.

Right decision last night even Shelvey said after the game that the ref told them to play on in those situations. That being said, I would probably be a little bitter if that happened the other way around, the keeper did stop due to the flag being up.

It's almost as if he had no faith in his assistant.

Even allowing for the change of mindset that VAR has brought about and the express instructions the referee gave the players before the game, there is no one to blame for the second goal other than Sheffield's own players.

Sure the linesman lifted his flag, the referee waved play on, it happens in every game and is one of the first things children are taught when they start to play football. Their fault they didn't play to the whistle.

As Shelvey runs onto the ball their defence is in terrible shape giving him a clear run at goal. Their fault.

The goalkeeper appears to stop playing but was that an attempt by him to influence the decision knowing they had fucked up?  Lionel Barthez tried to be clever by doing that a few times.

Their fans, manager etc have every right to be livid but only with their own team who brought this upon themselves entirely.

Here here

We were poor in the first half yesterday, but in saying that we did an away game performance well.

Sheffield United were nothing special, they lacked creativity and a spark. Most of their chances were down to the law of average of having the ball so much, and so deep. I honestly think their position and good start is down to a combination of the bounce off being promoted, and taking advantage of most teams having very distinct off days this season, than any real talent.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up like one of the promoted teams who have a great first half of a season, then drop like a stone in the 2nd half of the season.

Sheffield lacked creativity and a spark because they have championship players without the quality to provide it. Other than that, I thought their movement was excellent. All you can do as a manager is coach them in the basics of how you want to play, you can't turn a donkey into a racehorse. As for our away performance being a good one, you must have been watching a different game. We were absolutely cack for the first 45 mins, and could barely string two passes together. Our gameplan as it was, was executed terribly. We were relying on their poor finishing to stay in the match.

Sheffield lacked creativity and a spark because they have championship players without the quality to provide it. Other than that, I thought their movement was excellent. All you can do as a manager is coach them in the basics of how you want to play, you can't turn a donkey into a racehorse. As for our away performance being a good one, you must have been watching a different game. We were absolutely cack for the first 45 mins, and could barely string two passes together. Our gameplan as it was, was executed terribly. We were relying on their poor finishing to stay in the match.

Fully agree with that

Sunday will be a big big sign of whether bruce has actually made any change to us at all

Guessing the answer will be no

If we turn up and play them off the park I may slightly be a bit more pro bruce

That’s a big if and isn’t going to happen

I meant perfect away performance in the sense that we were dominated but did what we needed to do. Our first half performance was shocking, but going away from home and hanging on to a lead or a draw has always been a big part of the game.

What the fuck were their center backs doing even before the flag? Shelvey runs through with neither of them within 30 yards of him. They gave up to try get it stopped because they knew they were so out of position they couldn't do anything.

What the fuck were their center backs doing even before the flag? Shelvey runs through with neither of them within 30 yards of him. They gave up to try get it stopped because they knew they were so out of position they couldn't do anything.

I said this last night. The flag going up had no bearing on the result. Shelvey would still have found himself in a 1 on 1 position and would have expected to have scored.

We were poor going forward, but the team worked their arse off. First half, we got a little lucky, but second half we were comfortable.

We had a few chances and we took them. It's a good win.

We were poor going forward, but the team worked their arse off. First half, we got a little lucky, but second half we were comfortable.

We worked our arse off defensively, no denying that, but I would put that down to Rafa's work in the past few years. Even Bruce is more or less saying as much. Bringing the ball out, we are actually now even worse, and we weren't great at this under Rafa either, I'm not trying to sugar coat his record here. But we pressed much more effectively as a team, now we are just sitting back and hoofing it clear.

We worked our arse off defensively, no denying that, but I would put that down to Rafa's work in the past few years. Even Bruce is more or less saying as much. Bringing the ball out, we are actually now even worse, and we weren't great at this under Rafa either, I'm not trying to sugar coat his record here. But we pressed much more effectively as a team, now we are just sitting back and hoofing it clear.

His choice of Centre back isnt helping. Schar and Lejeune now seem to be bottom of his pecking order.

I think the shape and defensive work was all drilled into the squad by Rafa.

Bruce realises it's the way to go. And that's fair enough.

I worry about the attack - we're not smooth, doesn't seem to be a plan. But the team spirit looks good. No sign of any trouble = team works very hard and we're always in most games.

A truly awful game but one that was certainly more enjoyable there than I imagine it was on TV/stream. A good laugh. Sheffield low-key a pretty cool city as well.

First NUFC game since Fulham away last season for me and I have to say, the average age of the away end seemed very young. You can see clearly that many are not bothering anymore and tickets are being hoovered up when the points drop.

The attitude of the players has been excellent since Rafa joined. It's clear the club has done well with recruiting the right people, in terms of professionalism, since our last relegation. Almiron and ASM, regardless of their faults, have worked tirelessly since they have joined. Even Joelinton, who I dont rate, is at least putting a shift in.

I think the shape and defensive work was all drilled into the squad by Rafa.

Bruce realises it's the way to go. And that's fair enough.

I worry about the attack - we're not smooth, doesn't seem to be a plan. But the team spirit looks good. No sign of any trouble = team works very hard and we're always in most games.

There were signs V Bournemouth of wanting to press on a bit and not play so deep. Hopefully Sunday will see similar and a bit less rigidity of position from the front 3.