Sheffield Utd 0-2 Newcastle Utd - 05/12/19 - Post-match reaction from page 18

Disco

I am surprised there haven't been more goals like that one and Kelechi's on Sunday for Leicester (though this probably would have been a goal regardless). The new rules are a big adjustment for defenders and linesman. It is easy for both parties to have a mental lapse when they have been trained a certain way for 20+ years. The main issue is the linesman putting the flag up for marginal offsides decisions, it creates nothing but confusion.

Was listening to a pod the other day which was saying linesmen are basically redundant and only add confusion.

I would agree with that sentiment, but the problem then becomes what we are meant to do when players are blatantly offside or goal hanging, which is difficult to see from the referee's position It would be farcical to continue the pattern of play if someone is 10 yards offside and will just lead to more goals overturned via VAR review. The only real solution is for the offside tech to be instantaneous of for the linesman to become competent, but these are equally unrealistic if we are being honest.

They came to the same conclusion tbf. They’re almost ceremonial for throws and obvious offsides but for closecalls they're more a hindrance than a help as they’re not needed in effect.

That was pretty easy second half.

They didn't look like creating an opening at any point. Good organisation but fuck me they were utter turd; they've topped Man Utd as the worst side I've seen us play against this season.

Only seen the second half but this lot have been worse than Bournemouth were the other night, who were appalling.

The second half was much better for us, we were absolutely schooled in the first half, but Shef have got championship players at the end of the day, and they had nothing up front to make the most of their dominance.

really didn't expect that result, would be nice to have more of the ball and play a bit more football but play to your strengths I suppose and this defence is better than most in the league. If only we had a striker who could be semi-relied on to find the net

If Rafa was in charge this would be a masterclass of a performance,  HWTFL

Nah, that's rubbish.

Rafa never had us looking like this in the Championship and we are playing a team fresh out of the Championship today.

Fork off man, this is killing most,  we have been superb at a smash and grab and if this was last season we'd be fucking all over Rafa, folk just wont admit it.

It's a great result, but the fact is it's been dire. We did not play this way under Rafa against this level of competition.

It was really only against Man City and Liverpool for which we were criticised heavily by the same media now claiming we've defended so well.

We practically have 11 men in our box against Sheffield United for goodness sake. Knock it off.

Rafas teams weren't expansive till after xmas,  get points on the board first get safe then shackles off.Same as this season,honestly the criticism is fucking hilarious, we are winning 2-0 away from home in the PL,not east in ANY match. Its pathetic to criticise it tonight

I'm not tied to any result. I'm calling it as I see it.

I would be sick paying to watch this every game. This is how we play every single game. It's awful.

Rafas football was fucking shite anarl man,I loved him for the man he was not his football

That's just not true man. Sorry.

I mean you cannot say his football was shite and then praise this. It makes no sense because this is definitely infinitely worse.

Bruce has removed the centrebacks that use the ball so well, and Longstaff is no longer what he was last year where he kept the ball on the ground and allowed us to play through the front three.

Shelvey is now back in and playing long balls that continuously lose us possession. He's scoring which has been good currently, but the team does not function well at all.

It's just bad.