Sheffield Utd 0-2 Newcastle Utd - 05/12/19 - Post-match reaction from page 18

Disco

Seems a little fatuous discussing the nuances of position, shape and tactics where Bruce is concerned, his only positional sense is what number in the kebab queue is his.

I'd like to see us be more confident and comfortable on the ball, impose our tempo on a game but I'm not holding my breath.

It's one thing being defensive and direct, but mother of Jesus we just hoofed it blindly time after time to give them possession again straight away. Luckily Dubravka was class plus Sheffield Utd being ineffective overall. It's not gonna work out for us if we plan on doing the same thing over a longer period of time. Clark and Dummett have done well defensively, but I hope we get to see Schär and Lejeune in the team soon. Having said that, despite the lack of quality on the ball from our CB's our central midfielders have to show themselves more often and demand the ball. Very static Imo. What we lack right now is a CM with technical ability who can create space for himself with some smart movement, skill and a burst of pace. A midfielder who can make the simple and quick passes when needed, but most of all know when to do what. Longstaff did a lot of this last season, and started to play at least a  bit better before his suspension.

At work today “Rafa would have lost that last night”

Its all over social media mate, I'm steering clear, don't need the blood pressure at my age. Apparently all those that were boycotting and those that wanted Ashley and Bruce out are all looking a bit silly now.  So short sighted, feel like maybe I should be bookmarking these comments for this time next season when Steveageddon finally comes home to roost.

Guest godzilla

It's one thing being defensive and direct, but mother of Jesus we just hoofed it blindly time after time to give them possession again straight away. Luckily Dubravka was class plus Sheffield Utd being ineffective overall. It's not gonna work out for us if we plan on doing the same thing over a longer period of time. Clark and Dummett have done well defensively, but I hope we get to see Schär and Lejeune in the team soon. Having said that, despite the lack of quality on the ball from our CB's our central midfielders have to show themselves more often and demand the ball. Very static Imo. What we lack right now is a CM with technical ability who can create space for himself with some smart movement, skill and a burst of pace. A midfielder who can make the simple and quick passes when needed, but most of all know when to do what. Longstaff did a lot of this last season, and started to play at least a  bit better before his suspension.

Last away game against Villa illustrated that. Our forward movement and passing is really poor bordering on pathetic. You can't knock 3 points, but as an attacking side there is certainly mass concern. The amount of times the balled is hoofed (let's be fair none of the central defenders currently playing are ball players) and given straight back to the opposition is scandalous. You have one forward and nobody within 20 yards of him on most occasions. If you look at Villa and Sheff Utd teams against the Newcastle team there is no way either should be having over 2/3ds more possession but they are.