Newcastle United vs Southampton Sunday 8th December (Kick Off 2pm No TV)

samptime29

Should win, 2-0 keep the roll going .

I don’t rate Southampton at all, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t go for the throat on this one , win this and I can’t see us in any trouble this season.

I don’t rate Southampton at all, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t go for the throat on this one , win this and I can’t see us in any trouble this season.

This is how deluded our happy clapper fans are. :lol:

We won't be going for the throat mate. When was the last time we even had close to 50% possession?

We'll sit back and hoof the ball to Carroll. Bruce just won't know how to do it any other way.

We won't be going for the throat mate. When was the last time we even had close to 50% possession?

We'll sit back and hoof the ball to Carroll. Bruce just won't know how to do it any other way.

Watford at home. Wolves wasn't that far away either.

So in one match out of the 15 played so far we've managed 50% or above possession. Yeah we'll be going for the throat.

Couple of interesting stats:

Newcastle have scored in each of their past 14 Premier League home games against Southampton - their longest such streak against a particular opponent.

Southampton have failed to keep a clean sheet in their past 10 games, conceding 27 goals in total.

So in one match out of the 15 played so far we've managed 50% or above possession. Yeah we'll be going for the throat.

That isn't just a symptom of the Bruce era tbf, you're going back a good while since we had a team capable of controlling possession.

That isn't just a symptom of the Bruce era tbf, you're going back a good while since we had a team capable of controlling possession.

I said earlier today that Rafa did the same, but he gave up possession as part of his own philosophy, the idea being to counterattack with precision when we got the ball. He was quite happy to own that method and coached it from day one of his appointment.

Bruce constantly whinges about the defensive mindset inherited by his squad then tells them to go ahead with it as it seems to be working.

I’ve never really cared about playing style. It’s always a results thing for me. If the team is set out to play a certain way, I’m more impressed with the execution of the tactics. Whatever they are.

Well, to an extent.

I think the frustrating thing for me is how we use the ball when we have it. Okay we want to play deep and that's fine if we do and we don't have much possession, but when we have the ball can we at least look like a professional outfit please?

We literally cannot play simple passes into players' feet as a team, whether we are under pressure or not. There is no movement and no patience whatsoever, within a moment's notice they just punt it forward to a forward who has no support around him, because both Almiron and ASM are out wide, despite the fact we are using wingbacks. Can they both not tuck in a bit and play off of Joelinton like Perez and Almiron did last season.

We need to tweak these things and we could be so much better and more dangerous as a team.