MLB 2022

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Can the batter who's waiting to bat next steal a base while the previous batter is running? Feel like that's what I've just seen in the Dodgers-Angels game but I've never seen that before.

Would love to see this footage because this sounds wild and confusing. 

kOBZLq3.png

The batter who is waiting to bat next stands in one of the On-deck circles at the bottom while the current batter bats. He is completely out of play and can't be a baserunner, so couldn't have stolen a base. I'm also very intrigued tho :lol:

edit: Someone could have been on-deck (waiting to bat) and then substituted in as a replacement baserunner for someone who had already reached base, and then stolen a base? Would be an extraordinarily weird situation though tbh and I'm not sure it would be a legal tactical substitution depending on the lineup.

Edited by thomas

There's probably a very simple explanation for this, the commentators didn't seem perturbed so before I stick a video up:

When this hit is... hit, there's a man at second base. The batter hits a double, runs to second and the guy at second runs home for a run (sorry I don't know the terminology other than to keep typing the word 'run'). So I feel like it should be exactly the same position for the next batter - just a guy at second base, but the batting team have gained a run. 

But when the next guy steps up to the plate, there's still the guy at second base, but there's also a guy at first base.

Why?

Only one runner (who’s on second), batter hits a double, runner scores, batter’s now on second, but there’s also a guy on first? Doesn’t make sense unless there were initially runners on first and second, the batter singled, and the runner on first stopped at second.

Was it the first base coach rather than a player at first? :lol:

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Was there any break in play? Did it come back from a commercial break after someone was intentionally walked to 1st base possibly? Otherwise I think Deuce has it and you could have seen one of the coaches for the batting team (they're allowed in the Coach's boxes near 1st and 3rd base above) look like they were on first but they're not actually in play/matter.

Edited by thomas

Everything looks in order for the first minute but then after 59 seconds, the graphic in the bottom right adds a player to first base, and he's definitely there because he runs at the next hit on 3 minutes. ???

The Angels intentionally walked the next batter up (Albert Pujols, #55), who then went straight to first base. The rules were changed at the beginning of the 2017 MLB season to remove the requirement to throw four balls when you want to intentionally walk someone, which is why you don't see any of his at-bat. 

In fact you can see at 59 seconds that it's #55 Pujols who's now at first, he's with the batting coach McCullough - but you can see Pujols at 35 seconds, waiting to bat. How does he get from there to first base?

3 minutes ago, fuhg said:

The Angels intentionally walked the next batter up (Albert Pujols, #55), who then went straight to first base. The rules were changed at the beginning of the 2017 MLB season to remove the requirement to throw four balls when you want to intentionally walk someone, which is why you don't see any of his at-bat. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/23/516878572/major-league-baseball-poised-to-change-intentional-walk-rule?t=1628498242942

That explains it, thank you. I'm only a very casual viewer for half an hour here and there when there's nothing on at midnight. 

What's the benefit of intentionally walking someone, is it if you don't want Pujols to have a bat (presumably because you think he's more likely to hit a HR than the next guy in?) 

Yep, it's essentially that you think you have a better chance of getting the next guy in the batting line-up out without causing too much damage. This can be due to a number of reasons (the pitcher being stronger against left- or right-handed batters, the guy being walked being in particularly good form/having a particularly good history against that pitcher, etc.). There may also be an element of superstition involved (particularly so in this case. Albert Puyols played for the Angels for a number of years, and, whilst his legacy in Anaheim/LA may be mixed, he's started his stint with the Dodgers quite well, and they may just not have wanted to give him the opportunity of experiencing success against them).

A lot of people will write the good years off as "ADDERALL! :frantic:", which I think is unwarranted, but unfortunately between that, his contract (which was the club's problem, not his--who wouldn't have jumped at that), and never getting back anywhere close to 2013, I think his legacy is going to always be tainted.

Edited by B-more Mag

• cubaricho changed the title to MLB 2022
  • Rich changed the title to MLB 2021: Playoffs!