UK Politics - Generation Tory

They had to sacrifice someone to get passed the Irish language barrier. It was a choice between Irish language or no devolved government, not sure what else he was supposed to do really. Anyway, one bigoted dinosaur out only to be replaced by another. It'll be Sir Jeffery next I'd imagine.

Talk now that the DUP might nominate yet another new First Minister which takes us back to square one. :lol: Also talk that they might threaten to bring the Assembly down anyway if the British gov doesn't tear up the NI protocol. :lol: Stop the world and let me off. 

They don't seem the brightest to be fair to them. The Tories must laugh themselves to sleep at how they played themselves. Not too mention what a vote winner even a mild return to the troubles would be.

It's a massive turnaround and a great credit to those Labour voters in the constituency who voted LD to defeat the Tory. The media ruckus around Labour losing their deposit is ludicrous- although I would rather Labour stood down where they clearly have no chance, a couple of grand is well worth the loss of a sitting Tory MP.

This might be enough to have the LDs pull out of Batley and Spen.

Lib Dems have proven there that the “vaccine bounce” isn’t infallible. If Labour lose Batley & Spen it needs to be the end for Starmer.

14 minutes ago, Smal said:

Lib Dems have proven there that the “vaccine bounce” isn’t infallible. If Labour lose Batley & Spen it needs to be the end for Starmer.

Absolutely not. Labour still have a lot of bad blood to sort out and it would be better get that done before a new leader comes in for the next GE which is when the Tories can suffer a defeat which really means something. Starmer going won't solve the underlying problems any more than Corbyn going did.

Yeah, as nice as it is to see the Tories get beat, not so great if it's just about objecting to those specific policies. 

Shows the weird difference between bi-elections and general mind. I always wondered what parliament would look like if there were no general elections and everyone voted for their local MP at different times. Not the most practical, I know. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Labour got fuck all here anyway usually. It's probably about 10% tactical voting and about 90% a NIMBY vote because of planning reforms and HS2. 

Whatever the reason it's an example that tactical voting can work in these sorts of places. The numbers are pretty significant.  That's a good thing and hopefully opens the door to more local cooperation.

2 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Whatever the reason it's an example that tactical voting can work in these sorts of places. The numbers are pretty significant.  That's a good thing and hopefully opens the door to more local cooperation.

Yeah, I hope this is used as a case study in future campaigns elsewhere - but I somehow doubt it because of the immensely strong undercurrent of careerism within politics.

The Lib Dems party line is support for ambitious housebuilding and are pro-HS2 but basically deliberately campaigned on a diametrically opposing NIMBY ticket because they knew it would be a potential vote winner in this case.

Just shows another example of UK political parties, particularly those broadly on the left, not standing for anything in particular and just going with whatever populist agenda will get them a minor victory. 

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Just shows another example of UK political parties, particularly those broadly on the left, not standing for anything in particular and just going with whatever populist agenda will get them a minor victory. 

You certainly wouldn't catch the Tories doing it.

It happens on the left too sure, but the right wing parties afaik all around the world campaigns on mostly populist/cultural causes. Weird thing to attribute to the left.

36 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The Lib Dems party line is support for ambitious housebuilding and are pro-HS2 but basically deliberately campaigned on a diametrically opposing NIMBY ticket because they knew it would be a potential vote winner in this case.

Tell me you're being humorously ironic...please.

27 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It happens on the left too sure, but the right wing parties afaik all around the world campaigns on mostly populist/cultural causes. Weird thing to attribute to the left.

Aye. It doesn't really matter what the tories campaign on though. Once in they do what they want.

54 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I agree globally it's mainly the right.

But in the UK it's becoming increasingly common with the left leaning parties. I have absolutely no idea what any of labour/lib dems/greens actually stand for, considering their bizarre attempts to try and win votes from the centre ground. And it leaves me pretty politically homeless as there is no way I would ever vote for the Tories.

I think the green party has far and away the strongest identity out of the parties you’ve listed there. They policies and approach is pretty consistent, partly because they’re a party of ideology rather than a party that gets voted in. The Lib Dems have no identity and haven’t for years. Labour have seen the Lib Dems over the last decade and a half and thought “I’ll have some of that” for some unknown reason 

He's an absolutely destructive and horrific arsehole by every conceivable measure  but I've got to say it is funny as fuck watching the CumDog absolutely body the entire self aggrandising political media class for being the clueless pack of utter lickspittles they truly are and them lose it in retort.