UK Politics - Generation Tory

55 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Labour didn’t really lose because of those reasons though did they?

the 2010 election was lost in part because of the lies of Cameron and Osbourne surrounding the economy, and also the left vote being split between Labour and the Lib Dems( thanks Clegg).

in 2015, those lies we’re still used as a battering ram to beat Labour with. Not to mention fears over a coalition government with the SNP.The stories used the Lib Dem’s as a shield expertly too. Those bacon sandwich headlines were annoying, but I think (hope) they only played a small part in the Tories victory.

Liam Byrne's note at the treasury - 'There's nothing left' - has been the gift that keeps giving though.

I know it was meant to be a joke, but that's why they're politicians and not stand-ups.

29 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

Liam Byrne's note at the treasury - 'There's nothing left' - has been the gift that keeps giving though.

I know it was meant to be a joke, but that's why they're politicians and not stand-ups.

It was tradition and that it was used in that way showed what was coming from the Nasty party, their words.

More damaging was in the following years Labour not defending itself over the crash.

1 hour ago, madras said:

It was tradition and that it was used in that way showed what was coming from the Nasty party, their words.

More damaging was in the following years Labour not defending itself over the crash.

I never for the life of me understood why they didn't vigorously explain that this was a worldwide crash happening to every western nation, same as with the oil-crisis being rebranded as the fault of the British unions in the 70s, has now become a 'manufactured fact'.

3 hours ago, kingkerouac said:

I never for the life of me understood why they didn't vigorously explain that this was a worldwide crash happening to every western nation, same as with the oil-crisis being rebranded as the fault of the British unions in the 70s, has now become a 'manufactured fact'.

Because its a boring story to tell and you can't sex it up. Exactly the same with Brexit and the reasons for remain. 

It doesn't matter how well the argument is constructed and how good the orator is, it will never dislodge the sensationalist position it is fighting against. 

The big mystery is how the SNP couldn't win an independence referendum 

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Because its a boring story to tell and you can't sex it up. Exactly the same with Brexit and the reasons for remain. 

It doesn't matter how well the argument is constructed and how good the orator is, it will never dislodge the sensationalist position it is fighting against. 

The big mystery is how the SNP couldn't win an independence referendum 

Funny that, people always got a cheer on QT whenever they pinned the blame squarely on the banks.

24 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Funny that, people always got a cheer on QT whenever they pinned the blame squarely on the banks.

A cheap pop on QT is different to the shitty debate format we had though. 

Labour dealt (and still deal) with it badly but it was an argument at the time they had little chance of winning. The brand was damaged enough for the public at large to see them as the big bad. 

They need a 92 era Blair type to stir the party back into contention (personality not politics), they don't have an obvious candidate

34 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Labour dealt (and still deal) with it badly but it was an argument at the time they had little chance of winning. The brand was damaged enough for the public at large to see them as the big bad. 

They need a 92 era Blair type to stir the party back into contention (personality not politics), they don't have an obvious candidate

I'm not sure I agree with that, just seemed like that election they didn't defend themselves (and even worse in the Miliband campaign). Instead of hammering it was worldwide and Cameron was on record as wanting less regulation, meaning it would have been worse under him, they went for technical explanations of QE that lost everyone.

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Little chance of winning when you concede. On the shitty debate format.

I don't think he's doing a good job at the moment so I'm not defending him but on that specific issue isn't that the position that most sensible people will take? As a football analogy, if you're the manager you can think the referee can be right to book someone but your player can also be right to commit the foul.

I haven't heard the interview but that Politics for All account is run by a Tory activist and it's an easy win to put a tweet like that up without context.

Heard about him this morning, on LBC. Apparently the police are looking into what she said, with a view to being arrested for 'incitement;. She sounds like a proper crackerjack.

Props to her son for speaking out.

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

I don't think he's doing a good job at the moment so I'm not defending him but on that specific issue isn't that the position that most sensible people will take? As a football analogy, if you're the manager you can think the referee can be right to book someone but your player can also be right to commit the foul.

I haven't heard the interview but that Politics for All account is run by a Tory activist and it's an easy win to put a tweet like that up without context.

A really good example of the dangers of Twitter. It looks a ludicrous position when presented in a nutshell.

I think most if not all on here agree with Butler's sentiments. But for Starmer (the boring lawyer) to say the Deputy Speaker was wrong would be to say he doesn't understand the rules of parliament (however you may disagree with them), which would be hypocritical when attaching Johnson for failing in his duties.

What he should do is repeat the charge at PMQs and take a walk of his own.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Dawn Butler herself said she understands the rules and has no problem with the deputy speaker throwing her out. 

There should be a rota for members to call him a liar on a daily basis. I'm sure the SNP would be happy to lend a few numbers.

4 hours ago, Beren said:

@BlufPurdi is going to laugh his bloody ass off [emoji38]

Not much else he could have done there to be fair.  If he wants to push that Parliamentary rules aren't being observed on one hand he can't support breaking them on the other.

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

There should be a rota for members to call him a liar on a daily basis. I'm sure the SNP would be happy to lend a few numbers.

Good job Skinner isn't an MP anymore.  He'd have been thrown out long before now and on a weekly basis.

14 minutes ago, Sima said:

Good job Skinner isn't an MP anymore.  He'd have been thrown out long before now and on a weekly basis.

Did get thrown out a few times iirc, most notably for calling Cameron "Dodgy Dave"

29 minutes ago, Sima said:

Not much else he could have done there to be fair.  If he wants to push that Parliamentary rules aren't being observed on one hand he can't support breaking them on the other.

Read the transcript now, you're absolutely right. I was way off target.

Yes and no, technically speaking you're right, he's right, but as ever there's no humanity in anything he says. He's a charmless waste of space. I could live with it if he were some relentless winner, but I'm so sick of it. He's reaching Theresa May levels of pity with me, as you realise more and more how utterly devoid of character he is, and she was.