UK Politics - Generation Tory

19 minutes ago, Smal said:

I had someone from the mail call today asking if we wanted to advertise in their paper (they were doing a top 10 list which our product is relevant to).

Few things more satisfying than telling them to get fucked.

:clap: Bravo

57 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Cycling related?

Yeah, there’s a child trailer we’re the UK importer for. They were doing some kind of top 10 family cycling products list or something. I didn’t get far enough into the conversation to find out more :lol:

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

It's just what the country has shown it needs and wants, a second right wing TV channel after the success of the first. Piers Morgan already signed up.

An honest question. Why do we need another 'right-wing' TV station?

I mean there aren't any that would be regarded as 'left-wing' at all.

After what has happened to the USA after Fox News' perversion of news, then one can only suppose, they're planning the same here.

1 minute ago, kingkerouac said:

After what has happened to the USA after Fox News' perversion of news, then one can only suppose, they're planning the same here.

But don't you know the BBC has been infiltrated by the WOKE, so who will be the voice of the people? 

2 hours ago, Sima said:

What?  Reversing is pretty fundamental to driving an articulated lorry in my (albeit limited) experience.

You have limited experience in driving an HGV?  You're hired! Collect your license at the office.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

But don't you know the BBC has been infiltrated by the WOKE, so who will be the voice of the people? 

I watched the BBC for almost 60 years, it's as left-wing as Eton College.

Isn't Woke a term the right use because they can't use racial slurs anymore...publicly.

6 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

I watched the BBC for almost 60 years, it's as left-wing as Eton College.

Isn't Woke a term the right use because they can't use racial slurs anymore...publicly.

I'm taking the piss but yes you are correct.

3 hours ago, kingkerouac said:

"We" don't.

"They", the rich and powerful feel they do in  order to keep us divided and blaming anyone but them for not being able to have things quite simply so much better for the vast majority but it would mean "them" having a bit less.

Edited by madras

GB News was so amateurly done, it never really gave itself a chance. I reckon they must have been trying to beat Murdoch to the punch, thinking that would give them the upper hand but obviously rushed it far too quickly. Murdoch on the other hand is never as desperate, took his time, still is, and it'll be an established nightmare in no time at all. GB news will become like a UK version of Newsmax or OAN, picking up the lunacy that TalkTV, or whatever it's called, won't even touch.

This one won't flop, that's what worries me. 

5 minutes ago, madras said:

"We" don't.

"They", the rich and powerful feel they do in  order to keep us divided and blaming anyone but them for not being able to have things quite simply so much better for the vast majority but it would mean "them" having a bit less.

The stealth attack on living standards (as well as public services) over the last 10 years has been quite something. Suppose you don't notice it so much (I didn't anyway) whilst it's happening, but when something makes you stop and think about it there's been a big shift in a relatively short period of time.

For me that thing was reading an article the other week about it being 20 years since The Office started. The writer made a very good point that the humour wouldn't work as well in today's world because it played on the monotony and dullness of office-based admin jobs where everyone leaves at 5 on the dot to come back and do the same the next day. Whereas that workplace used to be fair game for a piss-take it now seems almost aspirational in comparison to an era of austerity, zero-hour contracts, gig economy and rising food prices.

And there's no notable dissent or outcry amongst the public, media or opposition. It's mental.

13 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

The stealth attack on living standards (as well as public services) over the last 10 years has been quite something. Suppose you don't notice it so much (I didn't anyway) whilst it's happening, but when something makes you stop and think about it there's been a big shift in a relatively short period of time.

For me that thing was reading an article the other week about it being 20 years since The Office started. The writer made a very good point that the humour wouldn't work as well in today's world because it played on the monotony and dullness of office-based admin jobs where everyone leaves at 5 on the dot to come back and do the same the next day. Whereas that workplace used to be fair game for a piss-take it now seems almost aspirational in comparison to an era of austerity, zero-hour contracts, gig economy and rising food prices.

And there's no notable dissent or outcry amongst the public, media or opposition. It's mental.

Fair point.

Twenty years ago, in the job I do, you were given full and descriptive briefs, a workable deadline, and the job was nearly always done well and on time, so the company was happy.

Before I left - last year - briefs were confused and incomplete, deadlines were always 'urgent', and subsequently as the work was rushed, mistakes were regularly made, and as a result of that, everyone was stressed and on edge.

I suppose it fits the analogy of the frog in boiling water. It's slowly evolved to where workplaces exist for different reasons than providing good employment and decent wages for the people who actually do the work. And like you say, there's little to no pushback.

I can only assume that, the pressure on young people to find gainful employment, encourages them to lower their expectations, and then assume that all 'work' must be like that, and unless you buckle down and accept it, you'll be left behind.

I've read so much lately about anxiety and stress among young people in their twenties and early 30s. Which is unusual for those who are presumably at the start of their careers, and certainly wasn't my experience at their age.

Surely something's got to give.

1 minute ago, Ed210 said:

Like there’s not several million more important things to sort out first than bloody weights and measures?

They know that.

This feeds into the base in mackemland etc who loved the metric martr etc.