UK Politics: Generation Tory

I hate the cunts so much.

"He said young people who wanted to learn “can’t just do it on Zoom” and said they would be “gossiped about and lose out” if they worked from home. He said the cabinet secretary, Simon Case, had written to No 10 staff telling them to “get back to their desks”.

47 minutes ago, Sima said:

1:50 onwards...

What an absolute fucking mug.

He's been on one of those half day public speaking seminars where they tell you to wave your arms around a lot.

13 hours ago, BlufPurdi said:

I sofa surfed for quite some time after splitting with the ex, 2 years in total, and I realise it is technically homeless, but come on. I wouldn't have dreamed of claiming I was homeless for 2 years, it paints a picture of absolute destitution. Also her story is insane, it's literally an advertisement for everything wrong with the country, she's spun it very well and of course our media won't try to get to the truth of it, she's not on the left. 

When I first arrived in London in 1999, I slept on a mate's sofa in Stockwell for 4 months.

I would never have classed that as being homeless.

It's 'technically homeless' for the purposes of applying for a council house, but aye, it's pretty frowned upon to frame yourself as homeless in that regard. Absolute bullshit she's getting away with it.

It's how I got a place in the end. 

I'd definitely say you've been homeless even if it may not have felt like it. Nothing wrong with being homeless even if it sounds bad if it's out of free will and not necessity. I bet many especially young people do what you did and are perfectly happy and content with that. If she couldn't afford a place to live, and got to live at a friends place only because of not being able to afford a place to live she has every right to say she was homeless. Under those conditions she has no rights and could essentially have been thrown out on the street without any notice.

It's a manipulative story though, most decent people wouldn't dream of describing themselves as homeless when sofa-surfing when you see the utter destitution of the real homeless in this country. And it's not homeless, it's 'technically homeless', that's the term she should be using, that's how she'd have been classed in any application for a home. So I'd much prefer she say that, as it's an insult to say otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, BlufPurdi said:

It's 'technically homeless' for the purposes of applying for a council house, but aye, it's pretty frowned upon to frame yourself as homeless in that regard. Absolute bullshit she's getting away with it.

It's how I got a place in the end. 

Even if I had been living under the Embankment in 1999, it still wouldn't have got me a place.

I had to wait until I found some work and then save up enough for a deposit and a months' advance on a room in a family house, which was smelly, old, damp and cold.

For me I don't want to play down any genuine difficulties she's had (though I suspect they are exaggerated) the issue is that she's dog-whistling - why can't all homeless people just get three jobs and be as marvellous as me? 

Edited by TheHoob

15 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

Even if I had been living under the Embankment in 1999, it still wouldn't have got me a place.

I had to wait until I found some work and then save up enough for a deposit and a months' advance on a room in a family house, which was smelly, old, damp and cold.

I've no idea how council house applications worked in those days, so definitely fair enough. I was just saying that now, you can be described as technically homeless for sofa surfing, been like that since I left school around 2001. Although you have to prove it, you have to have a letter from the householder basically saying they don't intend on putting you up for a long spell. She had three years. I really don't buy this story. 

Just now, Klaus said:

In what context did he say that? :lol:

Supply chain I think, grifted smoothly into blaming businesses for not having enough people even though they told him countless times not to do what he did because it would mean they'd have no people.

58 minutes ago, BlufPurdi said:

It's a manipulative story though, most decent people wouldn't dream of describing themselves as homeless when sofa-surfing when you see the utter destitution of the real homeless in this country. And it's not homeless, it's 'technically homeless', that's the term she should be using, that's how she'd have been classed in any application for a home. So I'd much prefer she say that, as it's an insult to say otherwise. 

I'll put it down to a language thing. Never heard "technically homeless" as a term for the grey areas of the definition of being homeless before. As with most things there are nuances to it that for me, up until now at least, didn't need different term.

fwiw I think it's naive to think she doesn't manipulate her story to suit a certain cruel agenda, no matter how impressive her accomplishments are, regardless of being homeless or technically homeless. Let's hope she is just really proud of herself right now, and on reflection understands why her story isn't representative for the general population...doubt it though :lol: 

• Rich changed the title to UK Politics: Generation Tory