UK Politics: Generation Tory

9 hours ago, hakka said:

Horrific.

What the fuck even is this? It's amazing how the right wing in power have managed to convince their base that the left is in control somehow. For all these people crying about "wokeness" and the like, they seem to forget that the left and liberals are nowhere near real power. Some influence in culture and film/music/tv means fuck all compared to government control and corporate monopoly. "Woe is me that the people we vote for are in power." Boo fucking hoo.

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

If MPs were true patriots they'd be happy putting all their time in to serving their country to the best of their abilities and being rewarded rather handsomely for it. I'll happily give my time working intense hours a week for 82k plus expenses, like.

It's almost as if they dont care about their job...

And which politician referred to their £250k per year for writing for the Telegraph as a side job as "chicken feed" - oh yes, our glorious PM. :lol:

It's mental how bettering the country doesn't take up all their working hours. Surely the task is big enough in any constituency.

5 minutes ago, hakka said:

And which politician referred to their £250k per year for writing for the Telegraph as a side job as "chicken feed" - oh yes, our glorious PM. :lol:

It's mental how bettering the country doesn't take up all their working hours. Surely the task is big enough in any constituency.

Just had to Google this as I thought it was someone else. Nope, it's the milky bar Tory himself.

I don't know what you do with interest rates in a situation like this. Seems like if inflation is due to fuel bills, petrol and stuff like that, it doesn't make sense to incentivise people not to buy them. They're essential.

And putting interest rates from 0 to 1% doesn't really incentivise saving either, you still get nothing. And you can't afford to save anyway because your bills have rocketed. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know, but what is that analysis and does it make sense?

It does make sense, interest rates are a blunt tool for inflation.

The issue is we've got too used to cheap money here in the UK and the west in general.  Higher interest rates the better in all honesty as it'll help to reduce the steam from the housing market.

9 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

The issue is we've got too used to cheap money here in the UK and the west in general.  Higher interest rates the better in all honesty as it'll help to reduce the steam from the housing market.

Aye, I was trying to explore the point, I know the theory about interest rates. 

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Aye, I was trying to explore the point, I know the theory about interest rates. 

I think the issue is, we've seen very little movement on interest rates since 2008 so people have almost forgot about their impact.

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:
1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know, but what is that analysis and does it make sense?

The irony of course being that inflation will see borrowing rise. Which with higher interest rates will see higher costs for those that do have to borrow. Its a balancing act as increased interest rates are meant to curtail spending by encouraging saving reducing the cost of goods.. However I dont at all see current inflation being a symptom of increased spending, instead by reduced supply. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

The irony of course being that inflation will see borrowing rise. Which with higher interest rates will see higher costs for those that do have to borrow. Its a balancing act as increased interest rates are meant to curtail spending by encouraging saving reducing the cost of goods.. However I dont at all see current inflation being a symptom of increased spending, instead by reduced supply. 

On paper yes, but I don’t expect we will be back at high interest rates anytime soon. 

the financial markets just love cheap money too much. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

On paper yes, but I don’t expect we will be back at high interest rates anytime soon. 

the financial markets just love cheap money too much. 

But isnt that the point of increasing interest rates to battle inflation? Reduce demand by increasing saving? So prices come down? Unless this potential rise in interest rates isnt to combat the current and predicted period of inflation, and is just to return some value to savers. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

But isnt that the point of increasing interest rates to battle inflation? Reduce demand by increasing saving? So prices come down? Unless this potential rise in interest rates isnt to combat the current and predicted period of inflation, and is just to return some value to savers. 

Yes, that’s the playbook but since when have these people had any regard for savers?

the days tucking your money in your saving accounts and making money aren’t coming back. 

As soon as the push rates up. The markers will shit themselves and we will have a lot of unhappy pensioners. 

Good PMQs from Starmer this week. Calling what's going on corruption and Johnson a coward. Speaker finally grew a pair too and shut Johnson down a few times. 

When asked to withdraw the term coward at the end he said "I withdraw it... But he's no leader" which was a good line. 

More of this.