UK Politics: Generation Tory

Yorkie

Just now, mrmojorisin75 said:

thing is these tories don't do anything on principle so the focus groups must be telling them it'll play well with the base eh

how far gone would you have to be :lol:

I've heard interviews with several Tory MPS who are pointing out - quite correctly - that the demographics have changied.

Most people up to the age of 50 have grown up with a metric system - at least in part.

Johnson is making a huge misjudgement thinking this will be applauded by the majority of their base.

It feels like something that a tabloid like the Sun (circulation 1.25m) would revel in, but this isn't the 80s anymore.

Fail.

Just now, kingkerouac said:

I've heard interviews with several Tory MPS who are pointing out - quite correctly - that the demographics have changied.

Most people up to the age of 50 have grown up with a metric system - at least in part.

Johnson is making a huge misjudgement thinking this will be applauded by the majority of their base.

It feels like something that a tabloid like the Sun (circulation 1.25m) would revel in, but this isn't the 80s anymore.

Fail.

no, it's the 70s

Could someone please outline how changing back to Imperial units is going to benefit anyone? Flagshaggers will love it as it reminds them of the Empire and Britannia ruling the waves and all that pigshit but are there any genuine benefits? 

I think you've answered your own question there. Olden days were better (even when they weren't) so putting things back to those days mean life must be better.

Next up will be making sure working class kids don't do to poncy university and instead to a proper job on the factory lines. Already making good progress on that. National service (which few alive actually did) etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/29/windrush-scandal-caused-by-30-years-of-racist-immigration-laws-report

“during the period 1950-1981, every single piece of immigration or citizenship legislation was designed at least in part to reduce the number of people with black or brown skin who were permitted to live and work in the UK”.

If we are being honest, there is historical and institutional racism in probably most countries in Europe to varying degrees.

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

If we are being honest, there is historical and institutional racism in probably most countries in Europe to varying degrees.

Yeap, and still on going in many.

9 hours ago, Klaus said:

The whole response to Ukraine from across Europe is partly to do with racism in my view.

The UK is a strange country as I think a lot of the racism in our country is more to do with economic inequality and in particular generational wealth that a lot of ethnic minorities do not benefit from. That's not to say racism does not exist but rather it's not always easy to differentiate between racism and the growing inequality in general.

In my travels, I would say we are one of the most tolerant countries. I can't think of any country with our levels of immigration that are more tolerant, maybe Canada?  Saying that, Brexit/Johnson government is starting to make me reconsider.

15 hours ago, midds said:

Could someone please outline how changing back to Imperial units is going to benefit anyone? Flagshaggers will love it as it reminds them of the Empire and Britannia ruling the waves and all that pigshit but are there any genuine benefits? 

283821451_592334342071631_53689073676407

19 minutes ago, macphisto said:

The whole response to Ukraine from across Europe is partly to do with racism in my view.

The UK is a strange country as I think a lot of the racism in our country is more to do with economic inequality and in particular generational wealth that a lot of ethnic minorities do not benefit from. That's not to say racism does not exist but rather it's not always easy to differentiate between racism and the growing inequality in general.

In my travels, I would say we are one of the most tolerant countries. I can't think of any country with our levels of immigration that are more tolerant, maybe Canada?  Saying that, Brexit/Johnson government is starting to make me reconsider.

Tolerant/tolerance is an awful word mind. Far cry from the semantics of welcome and acceptance though I understand the pragmatics of its use. Either way, we’re heading in the wrong direction. IMO we’re only at the cusp of properly confronting any of it. Empire being a net bad, role of monarchy in that, reparations, systemic and institutional racism in education, law, media and wider society. Racism is seen as a thing you do to another and not something that simply exists in language, structures and trends of discourse. The Eurocentric nature of the Russia Ukraine conflict evidences biases we no doubt have as western white Europeans. Sure it’s on our doorstep relatively but such displacement was no different in the ME or elsewhere far.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, midds said:

It will be a way to usher in more shrinkflation.  500g becomes 1lb (453g), 1kg becomes 2lb (906g) saving 9.4% for food producers and no doubt charging the same price.

Edited by Sima

On 27/05/2022 at 18:35, macphisto said:

I don't know, are we starting to get to the point where the opposition should boycott Parliament until Johnson is held to account? A ridiculous suggestion but the opposition needs to do something symbolic to really highlight what is happening in parliament.

Certainly highlights the need for a written constitution, our checks and balances and conventions are just not strong enough now.

I can't see anyone in power ever rolling back these kinds of changes. Time to elect someone who actively hates politicians. Someone who will spend their full term gutting the shit out of MP's expenses, impose an even stricter ministerial code, remove their bar, ect

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darth Crooks said:

Tolerant/tolerance is an awful word mind. Far cry from the semantics of welcome and acceptance though I understand the pragmatics of its use. Either way, we’re heading in the wrong direction. IMO we’re only at the cusp of properly confronting any of it. Empire being a net bad, role of monarchy in that, reparations, systemic and institutional racism in education, law, media and wider society. Racism is seen as a thing you do to another and not something that simply exists in language, structures and trends of discourse. The Eurocentric nature of the Russia Ukraine conflict evidences biases we no doubt have as western white Europeans. Sure it’s on our doorstep relatively but such displacement was no different in the ME or elsewhere far.

Said it for years. You need to hate in order to tolerate, so claiming it as some virtuous aspect of our nature is abhorrent.

I'm sure it comes from how we tolerated the natives in the lands we enslaved. Congratulating yourself for not killing your slaves is a little off the wall.

Edited by Happinesstan

The i reports that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will try to axe dozens of EU laws this year in a bid to turn around his flagging poll ratings and win back the support of Tory MPs. The paper was told that the regulations most likely to be repealed will cover the environment, workers' rights, transport, tax and health and safety.

FFS

58 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

I can't see anyone in power ever rolling back these kinds of changes. Time to elect someone who actively hates politicians. Someone who will spend their full term gutting the shit out of MP's expenses, impose an even stricter ministerial code, remove their bar, ect

the trump method, i'm sure that'll go very well :lol:

11 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

the trump method, i'm sure that'll go very well :lol:

Well, I mean someone who actually hates them not just says they do to get themselves elected then doubles down on the corruption and removes even more safeguards instead of putting them in.

28 minutes ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

The i reports that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will try to axe dozens of EU laws this year in a bid to turn around his flagging poll ratings and win back the support of Tory MPs. The paper was told that the regulations most likely to be repealed will cover the environment, workers' rights, transport, tax and health and safety.

FFS

Were we told that no laws would be worse off than EU ones post Brexit? Swear that was the defending statement against peo concerned around deregulation and erosion of rights.

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

Were we told that no laws would be worse off than EU ones post Brexit? Swear that was the defending statement against peo concerned around deregulation and erosion of rights.

"Worse off" is very subjective.  Eroding workers and health and safety rights will leave their donors significantly better off which is what they are all after.

37 minutes ago, Sima said:

"Worse off" is very subjective.  Eroding workers and health and safety rights will leave their donors significantly better off which is what they are all after.

Any erosion of those rights should easily be equitable to "worse off", although I suspect spin will be used for sure once they are announced.