UK Politics: Generation Tory

Yorkie

Going to be wild when Starmer resigns, Boris gets fucked off into the sun, and Lib Dems get elected next election. 

19 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Glorious news to wake up to. Still despair at this country and not convinced there’ll be any change at the next GE, but I’m more than happy to watch them squirm.

2 years to jettison boz and spin a load of lies, tory voters will happily flood back it's what they do

Edited by mrmojorisin75

Johnson stays, Labour/LD continue this unofficial tactical voting and the tories are done. I'm not sure replacing Johnson even saves them at this point.

This "governments always lose mid-term elections" thing is a pretty crazy thing to say when you really think about it. 

What it means is "the government never really do much to help people, often don't follow through on promises, so of course people will want you out".

Try actually making people's lives better and you might win a few.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

2 years to jettison boz and spin a load of lies, tory voters will happily flood back it's what they do

I still maintain the hatchet job done on Labour under Corbyn is so hard hitting that regardless of how horrendous Johnson has been, I really don't know how you shake the "yeah but it would be worse under Labour" stuff. They really are hated as the foreign loving woke cuckoo land over spenders who are dangerous with the economy, hate the military and will have rights and powers given to immigrants, asylum seekers and anyone who else isn't by default white English. Of course not all the voters, but a scary amount of the Tory base would rather lose everything or work in the worst of conditions then allow Labour in. I really don't know how you undo the media spin damage done, it was that colossal an assault.

Edited by hakka

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

I still maintain the hatchet job done on Labour under Corbyn is so hard hitting that regardless of how horrendous Johnson has been, I really don't know how you shake the "yeah but it would be worse under Labour" stuff. They really are hated as the foreign loving woke cuckoo land over spenders who are dangerous with the economy, hate the military and will have rights and powers given to immigrants, asylum seekers and anyone who else isn't by default over white English. Of course not all the voters, but a scary amount of the Tory base would rather lose everything or work in the worst of conditions then allow Labour in. I really don't know how you undo the media spin damage done, it was that colossal an assault.

The economy over the next two years is going to help unravel that narrative. Going to be painful for a lot of people and it will be squarely at the tories door.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

I still maintain the hatchet job done on Labour under Corbyn is so hard hitting that regardless of how horrendous Johnson has been, I really don't know how you shake the "yeah but it would be worse under Labour" stuff. They really are hated as the foreign loving woke cuckoo land over spenders who are dangerous with the economy, hate the military and will have rights and powers given to immigrants, asylum seekers and anyone who else isn't by default over white English. Of course not all the voters, but a scary amount of the Tory base would rather lose everything or work in the worst of conditions then allow Labour in. I really don't know how you undo the media spin damage done, it was that colossal an assault.

i could not agree more, the problem compounded of course by how overwhelmingly awful everyone the front bench for labour is pretty much to man while being led by a liar who is terrified of everything

prevailing wisdom says 2019 was a borrowed vote and next elec won't have the brexit element, i'm yet to be convinced 

1 minute ago, Cf said:

The economy over the next two years is going to help unravel that narrative. Going to be painful for a lot of people and it will be squarely at the tories door.

covid + putins fault, war in ukraine m8

nothing sticks

14 minutes ago, Cf said:

Johnson stays, Labour/LD continue this unofficial tactical voting and the tories are done. I'm not sure replacing Johnson even saves them at this point.

It doesn't really matter tbh. If we don't change the voting system, they will get back in soon enough and nowt will improve in the long term.

5 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

i could not agree more, the problem compounded of course by how overwhelmingly awful everyone the front bench for labour is pretty much to man while being led by a liar who is terrified of everything

prevailing wisdom says 2019 was a borrowed vote and next elec won't have the brexit element, i'm yet to be convinced 

Well they've just lost two seats that voted leave to two parties that wanted a 2nd referendum only a couple of years ago.

It'll be why Labour have committed to not returning freedom of movement. As much as a lot of us oppose that position electorally it might make sense to stop brexit being a factor at the next election. And by 2030 it'll be a conversation we can actually have again.

There's potentially a future where Brexit swings as a problem for the tories. Its their legacy. And if it becomes accepted in public conscious as a huge mistake (and the signs are that's happening already) then they'll struggle to shake that one off.

tactical voting is the key really, if they want the tories out - rather it be official but if it has to be backdoor then, hopefully the libs can force electoral reform onto the agenda

it's what is needed

I'm not as pessimistic.

Wakefield was typical of the 'I'll never vote for Labour again' constituencies, yet an admittedly lacklustre Labour Party won it back.

And, as Cf points out, the Lib Dems - THE most anti-Brexit party - won a Brexit-voting seat...convincingly.

38 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I actually think that some of the sitting on the fence stuff from Kier is to stop the right wing press having ammo come the next election, it is a long term plan but also a long term risk as it shows him as been inactive on a number of issues.

36 minutes ago, Cf said:

Well they've just lost two seats that voted leave to two parties that wanted a 2nd referendum only a couple of years ago.

It'll be why Labour have committed to not returning freedom of movement. As much as a lot of us oppose that position electorally it might make sense to stop brexit being a factor at the next election. And by 2030 it'll be a conversation we can actually have again.

There's potentially a future where Brexit swings as a problem for the tories. Its their legacy. And if it becomes accepted in public conscious as a huge mistake (and the signs are that's happening already) then they'll struggle to shake that one off.

I'd love to believe this. The only difference I suppose is if Kier is not threatening the rich elite like Corbyn did, the media may end up giving him a pass come next election. It's their influence that makes or breaks things. A fair fight for Labour media wise may tip the scales. It's hard to say, but Tory dirty tricks and using the polarising Trump play book seems to have worked very well here, and I think there's enough of Covid and Ukraine war style shit to point at to blame instead of Brexit or Tory policy. They openly lie unchallenged about what they do and people base votes on it.

46 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

covid + putins fault, war in ukraine m8

nothing sticks

With a very slim but influencial and largely heard portion of the country, but I think you're getting into nihilist territory to think the situation is totally hopeless and that a suffering wider public are too far gone. 

1 minute ago, hakka said:

I'd love to believe this. The only difference I suppose is if Kier is not threatening the rich elite like Corbyn did, the media may end up giving him a pass come next election. It's their influence that makes or breaks things. A fair fight for Labour media wise may tip the scales. It's hard to say, but Tory dirty tricks and using the polarising Trump play book seems to have worked very well here, and I think there's enough of Covid and Ukraine war style shit to point at to blame instead of Brexit or Tory policy. They openly lie unchallenged about what they do and people base votes on it.

Like the Oil Crisis in the 70s, which the media narrative twisted over time to turn into blaming trade unions, the banking crash of 2008, seems to be largely ignored at the moment, when it was the major cause of  all of this shitstorm since.