UK Politics: Generation Tory

Yorkie

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Reassuring :lol:

We spend £20 billion per year on housing landlord benefit, we could spend that directly on reducing the costs, rather than maintaining a market hell bent on increasing them.

As a support worker and one that works part time (though I'm on sick leave at the moment), I'm paid the princely sum of £9.50 an hour. I also do long shifts - 24hrs and 12hrs, when am on duty.

I've been off work now for nearly 4 weeks and my take home pay for last month, was £455. :(

Edited by Big Geordie

22 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

If you're not subject to the cost of housing, it's not too difficult.

Unless you're living with your parents or the like then someone on 10.90 certainly does have to worry about the cost of housing themselves.

13 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

As a support worker and one that works part time (though I'm on sick leave at the moment), I'm paid the princely sum of £9.50 an hour. I also do long shifts - 24hrs and 12hrs, when am on duty.

I've been off work now for nearly 4 weeks and my take home pay for last month, was £455. :(

Absolutely criminally underpaid. All support work and care work roles along with nursery roles + SEN support roles are underpaid by an absurd margin. They're generally extremely physically or emotionally demanding roles with people who have either complex or round-the-clock needs and yet people get paid a pittance. It's one of the reasons our society is so broken, the people doing meaningful roles that support others get paid fuck all while people fleecing others get paid a fortune. It's disguting.

53 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

That's the hourly rate I received when I was stacking shelves. Granted a lot of my colleagues at the time were young and still living at home, but how they're meant to be able to ever afford to move out on that rate is beyond me.

Incidentally, the supermarket I worked for posted annual profits of £260 million.

Edited by kingkerouac

The care sector is ready to collapse at any moment, basically. Support workers, etc do the job because we have that nature (to want to help others), but it's been taken advantage of - for years.

3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

The care sector is ready to collapse at any moment, basically. Support workers, etc do the job because we have that nature (to want to help others), but it's been taken advantage of - for years.

You'll just get the inevitable reply of I didn't realise profession "X" only cared about money. Obviously people in care, NHS, school jobs etc do it as they like working and helping people. However if the pay is shit vs the hours and toll it takes of course people are going to look for other roles. Ironically you never see the argument used against bankers with huge bonuses or MP's doing side gigs.

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

It's a disgrace that you're put in the position. You have my full support and confidence that nothing will be done without consideration for those you care for.

1 hour ago, Lazarus said:

Apparantly theres at least 3 tory mp's about to defect to labour??

Read earlier there’s only one who is remotely likely.

Either way, it speaks volumes. Should be a flat out by election trigger regardless of which party to which it is. Disrespectful for those who voted beyond being shameless as fuck.

2 hours ago, neesy111 said:

IMG-20220627-WA0004.jpg

:puke:

this is one of the things that drives me fucking mental about the right here and the states; firstly the fact they can stand there and say something like that when loads of their own people have been prosecuted for getting pissed and breaking the rules vs. one instance that might not have broken the rules, but secondly and more importantly they can get away with it

i would not be surprised at some point in the future to boz standing up preaching about the sanctity of marriage and fidelity and massive portions of the country being like, aye he's spot on :lol: