UK Politics: Generation Tory

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Big move for Scotland to invite the border challenges that Ireland/UK has now. 

I guess if they aren’t in the EU either they could agree an open border. But it would always be at risk, especially if Scotland want to join the EU at any point. 

Shouldnt be as complicated to have some checks on a border. The problem here is potential bombs, shootings and civil war as a result of it which Scotland don't and really shouldn't ever have. 

Edited by Decky

From a purely selfish perspective, a hard border would spoil my favourite drive up through Otterburn and Carter Bar and then I love doing the slalom drive down the other side of the border. Brings me a little excitement. I wouldn't mind being part of Scotland though but it would make the minging "rebuild Hadrian's Wall" shit even more unbearable but that's politics I guess - it's not really designed to bring out the best of us. 

2 minutes ago, number37 said:

From a purely selfish perspective, a hard border would spoil my favourite drive up through Otterburn and Carter Bar and then I love doing the slalom drive down the other side of the border. Brings me a little excitement. I wouldn't mind being part of Scotland though but it would make the minging "rebuild Hadrian's Wall" shit even more unbearable but that's politics I guess - it's not really designed to bring out the best of us. 

I would imagine there'll still be a common travel area the same as the ROI. Trucks and the like will probably have to pull into a customs check area. All that stuff used to be over here years ago and some of the infrastructure is actually still lying abandoned along the border in parts. 

Edited by Decky

I love Scotland more than anywhere else in the world but happy to continue to live in England like :lol: I still just don't see an easy outcome for independent Scotland, certainly not one in which the SNP can continue to peddle and also deliver the big state that makes them popular

Edited by OpenC

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I love Scotland more than anywhere else in the world but happy to continue to live in England like :lol: I still just don't see an easy outcome for independent Scotland, certainly not one in which the SNP can continue to peddle and also deliver the big state that makes them popular

Never thought the SNP governing an Independent Scotland would work out very well. I'd hope the SNP would disband or at least change quite drastically if it were to happen because ultimately the party's main aim has been acheived and it'd be time to start thinking very differently.

I'd love for a gov. in Westminster to actually pay attention to the wants and needs of the Scots. Properly have Scotland influencing UK policy and be able to get to a place where everyone is happy with this isle being a co-operative, joined up unit. Same for Wales obviously. Can only bring about positives imo.

I'd love for the Scots and Welsh to realise that the Westminster government don't really give the first fuck about most people in England either :lol: this could also lead to a cooperative joined up island 

Edited by OpenC

Re Indyref2 I look forward to the role reversal fro Brexit where the government argue on the difficulties with a border and the SNP arguing for Star Wars style border control technology.

Fully expect without a hint of irony the Government to come out strongly on the trading benefits to being in a customs union with your closest neighbours and how freedom of movement benefits both economies.

12 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Cringe.

What would be cringe is a continually neglected region, being stuck with a horrible Tory cunt government in a country under self imposed economic sanctions, populated by stupid flag waving little England fuckwits.

The comment was tongue in cheek but I could imagine a few people being somewhat envious in the North East, regardless of how economically viable it is for Scotland.

Edited by Doctor Zaius

On that, where do people generally stand on the presumably closely related stupid flag waving Little Scotland fuckwits, just out of interest? Probably time for a new thread for it tbh

Edited by OpenC

Just now, Darth Crooks said:

Nationalism is a bad thing almost universally - especially when it’s used in place of rationale. The role of English monarchy and the imperialism that stems from it means it’s unique. It’s still actively celebrated internationally. We’re of the only major European empire nation not to have theirs lost through revolution bar Spain (Unless you count the bitter

civil war) and Holland. The superpowers of Germany, France and Russia have all had historical bringing down a peg in that regard. I suppose a question worth asking is does the flag being waved matter or not? And who is waving it?

:thup: 

I'm not convinced that in 2022 people generally are still hankering after a colonial past that nobody can now remember and if I try to look at it that way I'm not convinced that Scottish patriotism wouldn't by and large be just as deeply rooted in historical romance but great post. I see a lot of parallels between the wavers of the various flags in these arguments, but I only ever see the English ones getting any real opprobrium.

Nationalism for its own jingoistic sake, I agree, is almost universally a terrible and divisive thing, but it's not always about jingoism and there are plenty of arguments against globalisation too of course.

Edited by OpenC

I could be wrong like, but I'm pretty confident that when people in the North East say they wish they could go with Scotland it's not literally a political goal like. :lol: 

Seems pretty obvious idealistic day-dreaming born out of English politics and Little England nationalism being fucking horrible.