Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Next time you walk down the street, stab someone to death. When you are attested see how 'that prick down the street punches people in the street a lot as well' works as a defense. The existence of twats elsewhere doesn't make twattery ok.

Apropos of nothing Tiresias[/member] but I've just suddenly realised I've known you for like twenty years. :lol:

How exactly does sportwashing work exactly? How is it supposed to improve their image? All it’s done so far is draw attention to it to human rights violations.I mean there’s no doubt that’s the reason we’re being bought, but how does it work.

Look how much more positive Russia looked after holding a World Cup. That's without mentioning the 1936 Olympics.

With all the injustice in the world and all the murder of innocent civilians in every war going on now (nevermind what's gone on in the past), it's the takeover of a football club that raises the alarms? f*** off. Seriously. Until every self-righteous SOB takes it up with their MP's and governments to stop human rights abuses the world over, you can save your PC bollocks for something that actually makes a difference.

All this post has done is just show everyone that you've never been in the chat section tbh. There's quite literally a thread on the Saudi's that's been there since 2015 and likewise the U.S thread. Plenty on here put the graft in for political parties, organisations, charities, and in QuakesMag's case has even made documentaries about this sort of stuff. You're just showing your own ignorance by assuming this has only been brought up now tbh.

Again though, framing not wanting the football club to be owned by literal murders isn't a PC bollocks like. It's just not.

I've been in the chat section plenty in the past thank you very much. I'm far more aware of the atrocities committed by the Saudi regime than even the likes of QM.

My point was regarding the emerging noises in the London press who are suddenly questioning the morality of NUFC fans for getting excited about a takeover of their club. These hypocrites never made a peep about the vicious Saudi regime until stories of this takeover began to come out. The Saudi regime, along with the American and British for that matter, have been committing atrocities for decades. These wankers don't mind all the killing but strongly oppose the takeover of a football club?

You do realise they're football journalists, aye? :lol: They don't get paid to write about the atrocities committed by whatever country. However, when one of those countries takes over a football club, it becomes relevant to a football journalist.

If they're football journalists then why get into political commentary? Why aren't they on Abramovich's case every year? What about the Al Nahyans? Come on man. This is a pitiful attempt by some people to show that they know/care about world affairs on the interwebs when in reality they know next to fuck all and have done next to fuck all about injustice. I'm not absolving the Saudis of anything. A quick search of my previous posts on them in the chat section will tell you exactly what I think of them (ahem kisearch). I'm just saying you can't go all up in arms because a football club is being bought when nowt is being said about these people or done to stop them carrying on in Yemen (and elsewhere).

With all the injustice in the world and all the murder of innocent civilians in every war going on now (nevermind what's gone on in the past), it's the takeover of a football club that raises the alarms? f*** off. Seriously. Until every self-righteous SOB takes it up with their MP's and governments to stop human rights abuses the world over, you can save your PC bollocks for something that actually makes a difference.

All this post has done is just show everyone that you've never been in the chat section tbh. There's quite literally a thread on the Saudi's that's been there since 2015 and likewise the U.S thread. Plenty on here put the graft in for political parties, organisations, charities, and in QuakesMag's case has even made documentaries about this sort of stuff. You're just showing your own ignorance by assuming this has only been brought up now tbh.

Again though, framing not wanting the football club to be owned by literal murders isn't a PC bollocks like. It's just not.

I've been in the chat section plenty in the past thank you very much. I'm far more aware of the atrocities committed by the Saudi regime than even the likes of QM.

My point was regarding the emerging noises in the London press who are suddenly questioning the morality of NUFC fans for getting excited about a takeover of their club. These hypocrites never made a peep about the vicious Saudi regime until stories of this takeover began to come out. The Saudi regime, along with the American and British for that matter, have been committing atrocities for decades. These wankers don't mind all the killing but strongly oppose the takeover of a football club?

You do realise they're football journalists, aye? :lol: They don't get paid to write about the atrocities committed by whatever country. However, when one of those countries takes over a football club, it becomes relevant to a football journalist.

If they're football journalists then why get into political commentary? Why aren't they on Abramovich's case every year? What about the Al Nahyans? Come on man. This is a pitiful attempt by some people to show that they know/care about world affairs on the interwebs when in reality they know next to fuck all and have done next to fuck all about injustice. I'm not absolving the Saudis of anything. A quick search of my previous posts on them in the chat section will tell you exactly what I think of them (ahem kisearch). I'm just saying you can't go all up in arms because a football club is being bought when nowt is being said about these people or done to stop them carrying on in Yemen (and elsewhere).

They get into political commentary when it is relevant to football like it is now. I don't read papers that often but Miguel Delaney for one has been consistent over the last few years calling out Man City's owners.

Plenty is being said about them when they are bombing Yemen or whatever, just not by football journalists because it wasn't relevant to football at the time

Aye, it becomes relevant to arseholes like Martin Samuels because they didn't plough their money into West 'am.

Continued from wrong thread...

Also rather than seeing this as sports washing could it not be seen as an opportunity for us to positively influence their region?  Look at the make up of the consortium. A women heading it.  Even if this is just propaganda it will influence the region.

Mate please stop. I mean that in the politest way. We will be the plaything of a billionaire owner and no more. You can't seriously believe that pissed up Geordies slurring the Blaydon races will convince the Saudis to suddenly see the light.

Not entirely no. But let’s say over a couple decades their youth come here.  Support the team.  See the region.  Get influenced even in the slightest.  It will have some effect.  A woman leading the negotiation small effect.  The necessity to stay in line to work with premiership rules etc.  There is no single solution for these things.  People do not change quickly. Integrating and influencing each other is the only chance IMO.

I’m going to back away as this feels more like a conversation over a pint than in a forum.  I’m arguing one side as I’m frustrated with the Newcastle bias. This is making people jump to quite large conclusion on where my moral compass lies. I don’t have energy to write long posts justifying everything.

Also rather than seeing this as sports washing could it not be seen as an opportunity for us to positively influence their region?  Look at the make up of the consortium. A women heading it.  Even if this is just propaganda it will influence the region.

Mate please stop. I mean that in the politest way. We will be the plaything of a billionaire owner and no more. You can't seriously believe that pissed up Geordies slurring the Blaydon races will convince the Saudis to suddenly see the light.

Not entirely no. But let’s say over a couple decades their youth come here.  Support the team.  See the region.  Get influenced even in the slightest.  It will have some effect.  A woman leading the negotiation small effect.  The necessity to stay in line to work with premiership rules etc.  There is no single solution for these things.  People do not change quickly. Integrating and influencing each other is the only chance IMO.

I admire the sentiment and in an ideal world that would be amazing. I just think that's a much bigger issue and far beyond the scope of what we as a club could influence.

It's just a discussion mate, were all going to have varying views to some degree.  O0

I’m going to back away as this feels more like a conversation over a pint than in a forum.  I’m arguing one side as I’m frustrated with the Newcastle bias. This is making people jump to quite large conclusion on where my moral compass lies. I don’t have energy to write long posts justifying everything.

I think you either accept it or you don't,  as soon as you start the discussion on morality then you begin from a losing position, as the negatives of the regime currently outweigh the positives.

Trying to justify if or overtly celebrating it (please no headscarves :anguish:) is just painting us in a bad light.

Rename this thread as the anti-Saudi or the Saudi Argument thread ffs. The other thread is full of it.

Aye, 3 threads:

'Takeover progress and future discussion'

'Positive optimistic thread for people who have forgotten we're Newcastle and we can't have nice things'

'Moral questions of Saudi government ownership of NUFC'

I think you either accept it or you don't,  as soon as you start the discussion on morality then you begin from a losing position, as the negatives of the regime currently outweigh the positives.

Trying to justify if or overtly celebrating it (please no headscarves :anguish:) is just painting us in a bad light.

This is where I’m at. Similar to how I wouldn’t plaster wonga all over myself or go on like Steve wraith is with Saudi craic

I won't be giving a penny to this potential regime. Just like Ashley. Football is hideous.

The world is truly an awful place.

I’m going to party like it’s 1999 when this is done. Can’t fucking wait to get “rowdy with the Saudis”

I won't be giving a penny to this potential regime. Just like Ashley. Football is hideous.

The world is truly an awful place.

I’m going to party like it’s 1999 when this is done. Can’t f***ing wait to get “rowdy with the Saudis”

:lol:  I like that

You will/are just in other ways.

I’m not that interested in getting in to the debate but the overlooking of this point is hillarious

Guest reefatoon

I fully respect what people are saying about watching from a distance, won’t give a penny etc. These are moral issues that can only be dealt with on a personal level and hats off to people who care as much about the world that they are willing to sacrifice things close to them. At the moment that is easy to do too with us being so turbo shit. It’s going to be a tough one when the area itself takes a boost, the team are doing well and the football is fun again.  Full of respect for people that can keep the same stance when that happens.

Guest neesy111

I fully respect what people are saying about watching from a distance, won’t give a penny etc. These are moral issues that can only be dealt with on a personal level and hats off to people who care as much about the world that they are willing to sacrifice things close to them. At the moment that is easy to do too with us being so turbo shit. It’s going to be a tough one when the area itself takes a boost, the team are doing well and the football is fun again.  Full of respect for people that can keep the same stance when that happens.

Good post.  Yeap, it's easier while we are shit.