Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I’m very excited for the take over and have feelings about the moral issue that I’m trying to separate from the enjoyment of football but I feel I’m already starting to get ground down by the posts in every thread in here and twitter.

What a strange world we live in when people think a journalist should not be critical of his publication's (part) owners.

Regardless of who he’s employed by it’s a daft idea

Guest Howaythetoon

What a strange world we live in when people think a journalist should not be critical of his publication's (part) owners.

You’re right, but he’s getting paid in blood money too! The whole world and all it’s systems is corrupt and we all play a part in that, some more than others. I try and accept this by not murdering people and being a cunt and trying to do whatever little I can to make it a less corrupt/unfair world.

I think it’s fair game people criticising this but do people think he stood up against his employer the same way he’s shaming Newcastle fans?

Guest The Little Waster

I think it’s fair game people criticising this but do people think he stood up against his employer the same way he’s shaming Newcastle fans?

Its a strange world when you cant criticise a hypocrite ...

Stood up to them by writing extremely critical pieces in a national newspaper maybe?

Guest reefatoon

It’s things like that which annoy me the most (That tweet) “you should do this, You should do that” people pushing their take on things onto others. Trying to guilt people or force people into taking a certain mind set I just don’t like seeing, and if/when people don’t, then being judged for it. If that reporter feels so strong about that idea, then why doesn’t he take a flag in to wave? Let people have their differing views, but f***ing hell man, stop trying to to push them onto people.

A hypocrite would be someone who says Newcastle fans should criticise but not do so himself. That's not the case.

All this playing the man instead of the ball is a bit pathetic.

Stood up to them by writing extremely critical pieces in a national newspaper maybe?

So has he, or anyone at the Independent come out and criticised readers who pay their subscription fees to read their stories knowing some of it is going back to the Saudis? This is my only issue with it all.

So has he, or anyone at the Independent come out and criticised readers who pay their subscription fees to read their stories knowing some of it is going back to the Saudis? This is my only issue with it all.

Ultimately the ownership structure of the Independent is an irrelevance as far as NUFC are concerned.

Dismiss Delaney's concern with this "Gotcha!" if you like but the Twitterers are going to have their work cut out searching for similar to dismiss the concerns of everyone else. It's obvious that's what their strategy is, they did it with Holt last night as well. It speaks to how difficult this regime are to defend tbh, that the only way to do so is to attack the messenger. Good luck doing that with someone like David Conn.

Guest reefatoon

What would be people’s take if Rafa comes back? Would people lose all respect for him coming back in to work directly for and under the Saudis?

Guest The Little Waster

A hypocrite would be someone who says Newcastle fans should criticise but not do so himself. That's not the case.

All this playing the man instead of the ball is a bit pathetic.

As the journo is taking the Saudi dollar ( dinar ? ) hes not above criticism ...

Guest The Little Waster

What would be people’s take if Rafa comes back? Would people lose all respect for him coming back in to work directly for and under the Saudis?

Or the players for that matter , or Stavely etc ...

Guest reefatoon

The fans are an easier target for reporters. They won’t criticise a new manager coming in and working directly for the Saudis though, as they will want to make sure they have a relationship there for stories and scoops. Easier to just go at the fans.

Or the players for that matter , or Stavely etc ...

or the half time pint pullers.

I wouldn't. If anything I would expect him to put the city and football above world politics, because he will understand as well as anybody that these things are above him. He just wants a platform to do his job as well as he can, and for the right club. Fuck knows, he might even think that's in China, but either way I would always respect his decision.

Guest reefatoon

I wouldn't. If anything I would expect him to put the city and football above world politics, because he will understand as well as anybody that these things are above him. He just wants a platform to do his job as well as he can, and for the right club. f*** knows, he might even think that's in China, but either way I would always respect his decision.

Agree with you.

The fans are an easier target for reporters. They won’t criticise a new manager coming in and working directly for the Saudis though, as they will want to make sure they have a relationship there for stories and scoops. Easier to just go at the fans.

Yeah this is it. Bet they don’t criticise the managers who they’ll need for their soundbites, bet they don’t refuse to make the most of the media hospitality when they visit. Far easier to try shaming the fans.

With all the injustice in the world and all the murder of innocent civilians in every war going on now (nevermind what's gone on in the past), it's the takeover of a football club that raises the alarms? f*** off. Seriously. Until every self-righteous SOB takes it up with their MP's and governments to stop human rights abuses the world over, you can save your PC bollocks for something that actually makes a difference.

All this post has done is just show everyone that you've never been in the chat section tbh. There's quite literally a thread on the Saudi's that's been there since 2015 and likewise the U.S thread. Plenty on here put the graft in for political parties, organisations, charities, and in QuakesMag's case has even made documentaries about this sort of stuff. You're just showing your own ignorance by assuming this has only been brought up now tbh.

Again though, framing not wanting the football club to be owned by literal murders isn't a PC bollocks like. It's just not.

I've been in the chat section plenty in the past thank you very much. I'm far more aware of the atrocities committed by the Saudi regime than even the likes of QM.

My point was regarding the emerging noises in the London press who are suddenly questioning the morality of NUFC fans for getting excited about a takeover of their club. These hypocrites never made a peep about the vicious Saudi regime until stories of this takeover began to come out. The Saudi regime, along with the American and British for that matter, have been committing atrocities for decades. These w*****s don't mind all the killing but strongly oppose the takeover of a football club?

Tbf, there's nothing in your post that makes it clear that you're talking specifically about journalists to anyone reading it. Even then the point you're making in bold isn't really true, like. Agree that overall there should be a lot more attention on the Saudis though.

It quickly becomes unclear exactly what the criticisms are here, in all sorts of ways. Are fans expected to actually do anything here? Or are they just expected to be slightly concerned about Saudi Arabia?

If the latter, of course we’d rather be owned by someone squeaky clean, I doubt any fan hasn’t thought about this. But for that to happen, and be a successful club, would really require a complete reorganisation of how PL clubs are owned and run.

I don’t like the idea of being funded by Saudi money, but I don’t think it’ll be enough to stop me supporting. Albeit with regret in the back of my mind.

I asked this in an earlier post but it was buried in the middle, so I'll ask it now.

We've had people making the point that they support the team not the regime for the last 13 years, so why does the same principle not apply now? The thinking behind it was that you're supporting Newcastle but you don't support Ashley and wouldn't defend or excuse him, so why not support Newcastle without feeling the need to defend or excuse the Saudis?