Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sorry like, but if you're a journalist who also happens to be a Manu or Liverpool fan, and you suddenly see Newcastle Utd getting owners who can possibly blow you out of the water when it comes to transfer fees, you are going to feel threatened. It's just human nature. Let me be clear, that doesn't mean what they are saying is wrong, but it also doesn't mean they are saying it for the right reasons.

Do you perform your job to differing standards based on what football team you support, or your customer supports? :lol: Have you heard yourself?

Richard Keys is not a journalist, he's a television presenter.

I think the other two are idiots. That's not the same as this relentless paranoia that everyone's out to get Newcastle.

Last summer it was the refs. People on here were convinced VAR would see NUFC surge to the title because the refs, who all despised Newcastle, would no longer to be able to hide it.

Absolutely demented.

Richard Keys is still part of the media. If you are only talking about journalists who aren't idiots, then by definition you are going to be right. By the way, I don't think the rest of the world is out to get us, you are going off on an extreme tangent there, I just don't think the reporting on this is going to be bias-free. Because journalists are also football fans at the end of the day. Some will have more integrity than others.

My wages are paid by the UK government who I think are total cunts. I'm away to hand in my notice.

The least you can do is when they nationalise the bus or rail services is to protest against the passengers who use it.

I'd be the first to twist the knife where the media's bullshit's converned, but the idea that sports journalists are only highlighting human rights abusers buying their way into football specifically because they have a bias against the random football club they've chosen to buy is frankly so embarrassing and conceited that I had to check I wasn't reading 4chan.

Even if such a ridiculous claim was true it's irrelevant and presents a distinction without a difference. Bias or no bias, the things they're highlighting are true.

Whilst accepting wages through their Saudi funded newspapers.

Do they have a choice who owns their employer?  These people still need to provide a living to their families.

If your so adamantly against the regime then get another job/move to another publication not funded by the Saudis.

They'd better cycle to their new jobs, petrol isn't allowed.

Sorry like, but if you're a journalist who also happens to be a Manu or Liverpool fan, and you suddenly see Newcastle Utd getting owners who can possibly blow you out of the water when it comes to transfer fees, you are going to feel threatened. It's just human nature. Let me be clear, that doesn't mean what they are saying is wrong, but it also doesn't mean they are saying it for the right reasons.

Don't talk about the people bombing childrens hospitals unless you don't support any football clubs, is essentially the road you're heading down because there's no team in Europe that won't fear us blowing them out of the water by that line of reasoning.

Guest neesy111

I'd be the first to twist the knife where the media's bullshit's converned, but the idea that sports journalists are only highlighting human rights abusers buying their way into football specifically because they have a bias against the random football club they've chosen to buy is frankly so embarrassing and conceited that I had to check I wasn't reading 4chan.

Even if such a ridiculous claim was true it's irrelevant and presents a distinction without a difference. Bias or no bias, the things they're highlighting are true.

Do they have a choice who owns their employer?  These people still need to provide a living to their families.

If your so adamantly against the regime then get another job/move to another publication not funded by the Saudis.

Sounds easy.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Richard Keys is not a journalist, he's a television presenter.

I think the other two are idiots. That's not the same as this relentless paranoia that everyone's out to get Newcastle.

Last summer it was the refs. People on here were convinced VAR would see NUFC surge to the title because the refs, who all despised Newcastle, would no longer to be able to hide it.

Absolutely demented.

This

Genuine question, are you a Tory?

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Genuine question, are you a Tory?

:lol:

Don't talk about the people bombing childrens hospitals unless you don't support any football clubs, is essentially the road you're heading down because there's no team in Europe that won't fear us blowing them out of the water by that line of reasoning.

By all means talk about people bombing childrens hospitals if that is what you are passionate about, more power to you. But if you are a mackem who has suddenly grown a conscience and decided to give me a lecture about this newly discovered abomination, then I reserve the right to be sceptical.

I think we have had a much better deal from refs this year with var although that’s a different topic. As a fanbase it’s really sad the stance we’re taking on this. Painting ourselves as victims when in reality we’re the ones who are about to  ruin football even more.

Guest godzilla

Again, I think this argument is irrelevant to the things being highlighted, but even by that logic, I work for a university that over time has been funded more and more by the Saudis and the Chinese, do we all need to go on the dole in order for our opinions and criticisms to have merit?

If your beliefs are so stringent against a regime that you feel was necessary to print publications, then I would be certainly be looking at other positions within another media not funded by that regime. Everyone has the right to their views and I would respect anyone who is unable to facilitate anything that goes against their view, but to accept money from the same regime you're putting publications against, seems a bit hypocritical to me. My opinion anyway, obviously others will disagree.

Aye, print journalism is really on an upward trajectory

I think we have had a much better deal from refs this year with var although that’s a different topic. As a fanbase it’s really sad the stance we’re taking on this. Painting ourselves as victims when in reality we’re the ones who are about to  ruin football even more.

We aren't painting ourselves as victims as a fanbase. You will get some who will whinge about the media, but I would imagine there are plenty like me who think it will be nice to compete for stuff as a football club again. There's no victimhood in that. You've got Rafa as your avatar there, do you think he should refuse to come back because of the Saudi link?

By all means talk about people bombing childrens hospitals if that is what you are passionate about, more power to you. But if you are a mackem who has suddenly grown a conscience and decided to give me a lecture about this newly discovered abomination, then I reserve the right to be sceptical.

But I'm not though, I'm quite literally one of your own who has the same concerns as these journalists. The things being highlighted don't hold any less merit because of who's saying it if it can be verified as true. Shooting the messenger and ignoring the substance is how dafties in America have ended up automatically defending war criminals and a corrupt media, solely because Trump's one of the people pointing it out.

Again, I think this argument is irrelevant to the things being highlighted, but even by that logic, I work for a university that over time has been funded more and more by the Saudis and the Chinese, do we all need to go on the dole in order for our opinions and criticisms to have merit?

If your beliefs are so stringent against a regime that you feel was necessary to print publications, then I would be certainly be looking at other positions within another media not funded by that regime. Everyone has the right to their views and I would respect anyone who is unable to facilitate anything that goes against their view, but to accept money from the same regime you're putting publications against, seems a bit hypocritical to me. My opinion anyway, obviously others will disagree.

The meaning of hypocrisy in this context has broadened to the point of parody. Being critical of your employers and wanting things to improve used to be something unions worked to change, now anyone being critical of anything is an individual hypocrite unless they quit.

Presumably I should emigrate because I hate the Tories.

Guest godzilla

The meaning of hypocrisy in this context has broadened to the point of parody. Being critical of your employers and wanting things to improve used to be something unions worked to change, now anyone being critical of anything is an individual hypocrite unless they quit.

That would be your right and choice, if you want to emigrate go for it.

That would be your right and choice, if you want to emigrate go for it.

The point being, my right to criticise the Tories isn't dependant upon whether I'm a hypocrite (by your definition) for still paying them taxes or taking their benefits. Same as my right to criticise my employer isn't dependant upon whether I take their wages.

Guest The Little Waster

No one pays taxes to the Tories or takes benefits from them , thats the job of the state

We aren't painting ourselves as victims as a fanbase. You will get some who will whinge about the media, but I would imagine there are plenty like me who think it will be nice to compete for stuff as a football club again. There's no victimhood in that. You've got Rafa as your avatar there, do you think he should refuse to come back because of the Saudi link?

That is a totally reasonable point of view to take but believe me there are a LOT of our fans who have immediately gone to bat for the Saudis, many convinced that it's all an anti-NUFC conspiracy. The position being taken by some of our fans is actually the thing I'm struggling most with, not on here I should add, I think there's more sense here than on Twitter. I should stop reading it tbf.

I have infinitely more respect for "I don't care, I don't want to think about politics, I just want to support my team" than "You just hate NUFC and anyway, you can't complain about Saudi bombings because you enjoyed the smell of petrol once when walking past Esso".

That is a totally reasonable point of view to take but believe me there are a LOT of our fans who have immediately gone to bat for the Saudis, many convinced that it's all an anti-NUFC conspiracy. The position being taken by some of our fans is actually the thing I'm struggling most with, not on here I should add, I think there's more sense here than on Twitter. I should stop reading it tbf.

I have infinitely more respect for "I don't care, I don't want to think about politics, I just want to support my team" than "You just hate NUFC and anyway, you can't complain about Saudi bombings because you enjoyed the smell of petrol once when walking past Esso".

:thup:

Guest The Little Waster

No one pays taxes to the Tories or takes benefits from them , thats the job of the state

And who sets the budget on how taxes and benefits are allocated?

Doesnt matter dont mix up the governing party with the State