Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Not trying to be antagonistic, but it would be nice if instead of automatically jumping to criticise all of the journalists and organisations 'coming out of the wood work' the people saying it could first do a quick Google search to check it's not actually their own awareness that's coming out of the woodwork and that they just haven't really paid any attention to the Saudi regime until it came into their world.

Aye.

Fans shouldn't feel the need to justify, distract or divert. This is our situation, it's different to every other football takeover in UK history due to it being a State purchase, and it's being played out in public. I feel more that our fans should just let the press get on with it, as a lot of people will be educated about the human rights abuses of the Saudi regime, and may begin to question things and be more aware.

I passionately feel that our role in all of this is to celebrate the end of Ashley, be optimistic that our club might be worth supporting again, but be acutely aware who our new owners are and accept that that deserves as much scrutiny as possible whilst refraining from trying to contest that narrative.

We don't need to find ways to justify this. That for me has been the biggest headache and has made a lot of our fanbase look irredeemably daft (particularly on fucking twitter). For example, loads of fans attacking Amnesty for being critical of the takeover is just insane.

I actually find it rather depressing that such a fair percentage are so willing to deflect divert and distract already and it hasn't even gone through yet. If you want to just ignore the politics and try and enjoy the football I can respect that line of thinking but going after amnesty international and trying to claim journalists are just worried their club (insert whatever top 6 club you feel like) will lose a spot to NUFC so this must be stopped is such a ridiculous line of thinking. At the moment I'm just trying to say its a combination of lockdown boredom and general social media stupidity bringing out the loudest stupidest voices but god damn

Not trying to be antagonistic, but it would be nice if instead of automatically jumping to criticise all of the journalists and organisations 'coming out of the wood work' the people saying it could first do a quick Google search to check it's not actually their own awareness that's coming out of the woodwork and that they just haven't really paid any attention to the Saudi regime until it came into their world.

Aye.

Fans shouldn't feel the need to justify, distract or divert. This is our situation, it's different to every other football takeover in UK history due to it being a State purchase, and it's being played out in public. I feel more that our fans should just let the press get on with it, as a lot of people will be educated about the human rights abuses of the Saudi regime, and may begin to question things and be more aware.

I passionately feel that our role in all of this is to celebrate the end of Ashley, be optimistic that our club might be worth supporting again, but be acutely aware who our new owners are and accept that that deserves as much scrutiny as possible whilst refraining from trying to contest that narrative.

We don't need to find ways to justify this. That for me has been the biggest headache and has made a lot of our fanbase look irredeemably daft (particularly on f***ing twitter). For example, loads of fans attacking Amnesty for being critical of the takeover is just insane.

Agree with all of that and the bit in bold is my bugbear too, particularly as 'support the team not the regime' has been the stance for years and fits the situation, but for some reason has been abandoned in favour of trying to justify it.

I actually find it rather depressing that such a fair percentage are so willing to deflect divert and distract already and it hasn't even gone through yet. If you want to just ignore the politics and try and enjoy the football I can respect that line of thinking but going after amnesty international and trying to claim journalists are just worried their club (insert whatever top 6 club you feel like) will lose a spot to NUFC so this must be stopped is such a ridiculous line of thinking. At the moment I'm just trying to say its a combination of lockdown boredom and general social media stupidity bringing out the loudest stupidest voices but god damn

I think you're right, it's the stupidest people and the general sudden explosion of activity generating weird reactions. There's no need for us to defend what Saudi Arabia do.

Guest neesy111

and above all else why the fuck is a country allowed to own a football club

True but at the end of the day it comes down to money.

I appreciate it will only take seconds for accusations of whataboutery, but if the PL blocked the takeover, surely they'd need to: (i) revisit the Man City takeover and/or (ii) actually include clear guidelines on what which entities are or are not acceptable as potential owners?

It's not whataboutery where the PL is concerned though, it's precedent. The PL can't turn a blind eye to Amnesty and whoever else in one instance and then block a takeover on their counsel in another. As you say, if the takeover was to be blocked, you'd assume the same rules on ownership would have to be applied across the board.

One thing that’s pissing me off a little is how some

journalists and other sets of fans are lambasting Newcastle fans for wanting this to happen. I don’t think you should underestimate how badly a huge proportion of our fan base feel about wanting rid of Ashley. He’s absolutely ripped the soul out of the club. We often get a passing mention in the media bar a few exceptions (Jake Humphreys springs to mind) but people don’t really give a s*** when it isn’t happening to their club do they.

There is rightfully topics that need to be discussed but you can’t hold it against our fan base for desperately wanting rid of Ashley.

Get rid of Ashley first. Then worry about the repercussions. After 13 years of false imprisonment I think we are at least due a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

In summary, articles similar to the ones/topics being discussed about other clubs, other takeovers, or Saudi Arabia in general exist, but Newcastle fans haven't engaged with them because they didn't mention Newcastle. That doesn't mean they don't exist or there's now an agenda against Newcastle

Shock horror as opinion writers respond more to actual happenings than unsubstantiated rumour.

I don't know what it is you want that is more scathing than that article I just posted - "to see the club in which they have made a huge emotional investment used as a vehicle for self-promotion by the most brutally repressive regime on Earth is beyond revolting... No-one with a conscience could cheerfully support the club were the Saudis to take up residence in the Old Trafford board room."

That's much further than I would go and it's still not enough proof that this isn't a media storm that's all about Newcastle United, instead of all about Saudi Arabia. "He only wrote 1 article instead of 2! Must be a Manc!"

I actually think some people are attempting to salve their own unease by doing this. Convince yourself that it's because everyone hates Newcastle and I suspect it's much easier to buy into quickly.

Important point but I'm seeing something quite disgusting in this and other threads relating to the takeover.

Can people PLEASE stop putting an apostrophe in "Saudis" when talking about multiple Saudi people?

"Saudi's", with an apostrophe, indicates something belongs to a single person or entity called Saudi, for example "This is Saudi's pen", where the pen belongs to Saudi. Writing "We're being taken over by Saudi's" is nonsensical and offensive to my eyes.

Thanks.

Important point but I'm seeing something quite disgusting in this and other threads relating to the takeover.

Can people PLEASE stop putting an apostrophe in "Saudis" when talking about multiple Saudi people?

"Saudi's", with an apostrophe, indicates something belongs to a single person or entity called Saudi, for example "This is Saudi's pen", where the pen belongs to Saudi. Writing "We're being taken over by Saudi's" is nonsensical and offensive to my eyes.

Thanks.

Yup, this is the biggest issue we’ve got going on right now.