Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

:lol: :lol: I mean, say it wasn't Saudi Arabia. (FWIW I've absolutely made peace with the deal and look forward to the future. )

Say it was Rupert Murdoch.

Through a series of hilarious blunders by his aides and minders he ends up spending a fantastic Friday night in Bigg Market and wakes up the next morning on full horny for the city. Boom, buys the club.

No one would be batting an eye at someone who found his ownership to be as odious or worse than Ashley's and took a pass at worst or distanced themselves significantly at best. Absolutely no one. Except'n if you're a cunt what's being contrarian for the sake of it.

So why does a state-level actor get all the equivalency and whataboutism for inarguably worse transgressions?

You're 100% wrong here.

Guest neesy111

If SA were completing a £4bn deal to buy Man U the media would be pi**ing themselves with excitement and not a mention of human rights abuse.

:facepalm:

You're 100% wrong here.

Yeah? You think people who'd abstain if Murdoch took over because he's a worse cunt than Ashley would be taking significantly more or equal guff than people who are now abstaining over SA? Eat 100% of my colon's inventory.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

If SA were completing a £4bn deal to buy Man U the media would be pi**ing themselves with excitement and not a mention of human rights abuse.

This is dreadful craic

If the Saudis running the club doesn't bother you, that's fair enough, it's your choice.  But don't use whataboutism to try and justify it, it just looks like you're trying to convince yourself.  :lol:  What do the USA even have to do with anything here?

Guest neesy111

You're 100% wrong here.

Yeah? You think people who'd abstain if Murdoch took over because he's a worse cunt than Ashley would be taking significantly more or equal guff than people who are now abstaining over SA? Eat 100% of my colon's inventory.

:scared:

Guest neesy111

If the Saudis running the club doesn't bother you, that's fair enough, it's your choice.  But don't use whataboutism to try and justify it, it just looks like you're trying to convince yourself.  :lol:  What do the USA even have to do with anything here?

CAPITALISTS

It's interesting that Saudi Arabia are  condemned as a murderous state by Amnesty because they torture and then execute by decapitation, yet no one blinks an eye at the USA encarcerating terrorists in Guantanamo bay and torturing them and the majority of their states execute prisoners by injecting drugs or electrocuting them to death sometimes after they have been on death row for 25 years.  Why doesn't Amnesty condemn the USA of sports washing when they stage sporting events!!

The answer to that is simple, they do.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/national-security/

Guest reefatoon

Are people really that bothered about what people do or what other people might think? Dressing like Arabs, yeah it’s shite, I don’t get The point of it and it looks crap but I wouldn’t say I am embarrassed, cringing to an early grave etc. Do people really feel this over such trivial things or is it just huge over acting. There always seems to be so much embarrassed going on.

I assume all these people suffering a sudden bout of morality won't be traveling via Uber put down their iPhone stop drinking Coca-Cola & cease watching football on Amazon Prime.

Over and over and over and over and over, like a monkey with a miniature symbol

1*XRa2SMveRrEtfEyfODHrcA.png

Guest The Little Waster

Are people really that bothered about what people do or what other people might think? Dressing like Arabs, yeah it’s shite, I don’t get The point of it and it looks crap but I wouldn’t say I am embarrassed, cringing to an early grave etc. Do people really feel this over such trivial things or is it just huge over acting. There always seems to be so much embarrassed going on.

Its the forum Taliban trying to enforce their way on everyone else

Got to say, I’m becoming increasingly not okay with this. I mean I’ve always thought of our club as meaning a bit more than what happens on field. If this goes through it completely puts that thought to bed. I mean we could protest this lot, but vast swathes of our fanbase didn’t bother protesting Ashley. The idea of galvanising a weary and tired fanbase, against a regime, that promises football beyond our wildest dreams is completely impossible. What happens if we’re successful, and convince this lot to sell, do we just keep being relayed from owner to owner?

Well, if you're not ok with it, then just walk away. Or watch with disinterest and disapproval if you like. For me it's always been about wanting to watch a successful Newcastle team, I'll leave the politics to other people. If PIF are passed fit to be owners by those who are charged with these duties, then that's that far as I'm concerned. I will certainly enjoy watching Newcastle become a proper football club again, I don't think it will cost me much at all.

It's interesting that Saudi Arabia are  condemned as a murderous state by Amnesty because they torture and then execute by decapitation, yet no one blinks an eye at the USA encarcerating terrorists in Guantanamo bay and torturing them and the majority of their states execute prisoners by injecting drugs or electrocuting them to death sometimes after they have been on death row for 25 years.  Why doesn't Amnesty condemn the USA of sports washing when they stage sporting events!!

:lol: good point. The likes of Amnesty and Human Rights Watch have been critical of the USG for as long as they've existed.

I assume all these people suffering a sudden bout of morality won't be traveling via Uber put down their iPhone stop drinking Coca-Cola & cease watching football on Amazon Prime.

:lol:

Are people really that bothered about what people do or what other people might think? Dressing like Arabs, yeah it’s s****, I don’t get The point of it and it looks crap but I wouldn’t say I am embarrassed, cringing to an early grave etc. Do people really feel this over such trivial things or is it just huge over acting. There always seems to be so much embarrassed going on.

Tbf it seems pretty obvious that people care about whether others care about the Saudi's human rights record, like. There are people clearly interpreting the personal choices of others as automatic moral chastising of their own.

:lol: good point. The likes of Amnesty and Human Rights Watch have been critical of the USG for as long as they've existed.

:thup: Not only that either, but you know as well as I do that there are plenty on here who've discussed U.S foreign regime change on here over the years, so it's not like folk are being inconsistent.

:lol:

Had only ever seen the last panel.

Guest The Little Waster

Got to say, I’m becoming increasingly not okay with this. I mean I’ve always thought of our club as meaning a bit more than what happens on field. If this goes through it completely puts that thought to bed. I mean we could protest this lot, but vast swathes of our fanbase didn’t bother protesting Ashley. The idea of galvanising a weary and tired fanbase, against a regime, that promises football beyond our wildest dreams is completely impossible. What happens if we’re successful, and convince this lot to sell, do we just keep being relayed from owner to owner?

Well, if you're not ok with it, then just walk away. Or watch with disinterest and disapproval if you like. For me it's always been about wanting to watch a successful Newcastle team, I'll leave the politics to other people. If PIF are passed fit to be owners by those who are charged with these duties, then that's that far as I'm concerned. I will certainly enjoy watching Newcastle become a proper football club again, I don't think it will cost me much at all.

This ...

Will they walk away though ? Or will they find an excuse to attend whilst attempting to claim the moral high ground as opposed to the poor beknighted masses ?

This ...

Will they walk away though ? Or will they find an excuse to attend whilst attempting to claim the moral high ground as opposed to the poor beknighted masses ?

I can understand not wanting to be associated with the Saudis tbh, but everyone has their own limit. I sympathise with those who feel it more strongly, I would hate not to be able to enjoy being part of a successful NUFC. For me that would be the cost I couldn't live with.