COVID-19 - 'Milestone' vaccine approved for use in the UK

Just saw a woman looking very sheepish buying 8 rolls from the local shop. Bundled them into her car real quick.

I was in the shops at 8:15am just to try and just get my regular shopping it's been so crazy ... the place was packed.

One of the first things I saw as I went in was this guy with a trolley with 6 packs of the 8 pack toilet rolls and at least 6 bottles of hand wash soap in his trolley. Nothing else.

There was no life behind his eyes. Just overcome with fear and paranoia. Can't believe how out of control people are with the shopping.

Really wish people's fear would extend to their neighbors. We are really going to see who the good citizens are in our communities from this.

Just saw a woman looking very sheepish buying 8 rolls from the local shop. Bundled them into her car real quick.

I was in the shops at 8:15am just to try and just get my regular shopping it's been so crazy ... the place was packed.

One of the first things I saw as I went in was this guy with a trolley with 6 packs of the 8 pack toilet rolls and at least 6 bottles of hand wash soap in his trolley. Nothing else.

There was no life behind his eyes. Just overcome with fear and paranoia. Can't believe how out of control people are with the shopping.

Thats because it is the end of the world as we know it.

Fuck the economy, it's going down, I'm yelling TIMBERR

Darpa the military hi tech contractor is working on 'B' cell sequencing from recovered patients to make something they can give us to boost the immune system. Short of a vaccine they say this might be a possible holding mechanism (3 months away).

Troll might be able to tell us what this means or is.

Bit of a long shot I know, but has anyone come across any further information on ace inhibitor medication in relation to coronavirus?

Seen it mentioned on a few reddit threads as a potential risk factor, and while this seems to be something speculative, it's really weighing heavily on my mind in terms of how radical any measures I take on a personal level should be (my mum is on this medication).

There isn't much more to go on yet, but I'm sure they're working on it.  It's very speculative though.  But the thing is, when they talk about how someone who died had an underlying condition, they're talking about the kind of things you take ACE inhibitors for (diabetes, heart disease, etc).  So play it safe.  Even if the medication is fine, she's potentially still at risk.

Thanks, as others have said, really appreciate your input to this thread. Will certainly be playing it safe in every way that I can.

Sneezed at the self checkout at Asda today and the lady behind me shouted over for one of the staff to wipe down the machine before she used it  :lol: Never felt like such a deviant. Obviously she had about 500 toilet rolls in her trolley.

Sneezed at the self checkout at Asda today and the lady behind me shouted over for one of the staff to wipe down the machine before she used it  :lol: Never felt like such a deviant. Obviously she had about 500 toilet rolls in her trolley.

I'd have screamed in her fucking face. I'm sure this is going to be my Falling Down tbh.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m obviously no expert on any of this as I’ve shown with some of my moronic comments :lol:, but those who know more than I do, what should the U.K. be doing right now. I ask because over the last few days it seems I’m in the same boat as a lot of people I know who may end up taking matters into their own hands in order to deal with it all, especially in terms of schooling, isolation, food/social activities etc.

My own main concern right now is how we as a family deal with the closure of schools as we both work. I’m self employed so I’m in a more flexible position, but neither of us can become full time careers for our kids during a working week where they would otherwise be at school. Financially or otherwise.

My next worry is my business and my staff who are also family.

Right now I’m more worried about a whole host of things than getting this virus and I’d say almost everyone I know feels or thinks or worries the same.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only thing [i've noticed] that my local Morrisons has run out of, is the £25 jars of honey. Strange place, Cowgate.

My local too :lol:

I’m obviously no expert on any of this as I’ve shown with some of my moronic comments :lol:, but those who know more than I do, what should the U.K. be doing right now. I ask because over the last few days it seems I’m in the same boat as a lot of people I know who may end up taking matters into their own hands in order to deal with it all, especially in terms of schooling, isolation, food/social activities etc.

My own main concern right now is how we as a family deal with the closure of schools as we both work. I’m self employed so I’m in a more flexible position, but neither of us can become full time careers for our kids during a working week where they would otherwise be at school. Financially or otherwise.

Right now I’m more worried about a whole host of things than getting this virus and I’d say almost everyone I know feels or thinks or worries the same.

If this goes bad a lot of people are going to die that's all you need to know. It's only just begun in the UK and the Govt. have not really done anything for two months. Herd immunity is a massive gambit imo.

If this goes bad a lot of people are going to die that's all you need to know. It's only just begun in the UK and the Govt. have not really done anything for two months. Herd immunity is a massive gambit imo.

Herd immunity is doomed to fail and in two weeks the hospitals are going to be drowning.

What's the situation in Newcastle? What's the atmosphere in the streets like? Are pubs and restaurants open?

Haven’t been in town of an evening but during the day it seems very much business as usual aside from people mildly panic buying.

Massively subject to change though.

What's the situation in Newcastle? What's the atmosphere in the streets like? Are pubs and restaurants open?

Haven’t been in town of an evening but during the day it seems very much business as usual aside from people mildly panic buying.

Massively subject to change though.

Pubs are more busy than I’ve ever seen them

Whatever you think of the strategy it is clear that the author doesn't understand it and has no scientific background.

Saying that Britain is being run by anti-vaxxers is nonsense - the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Officer are some of the world's top public health advisers

In case anyone was wondering, going outside is fine if you avoid people.  Fresh air is going to keep us all sane, so feel free to go for a walk on the beach or in the country.

I got outside for a while earlier today and it's amazing how much better it made me feel.