COVID-19 - 'Milestone' vaccine approved for use in the UK

The differences in death rate are interesting - Germany and Austria are both running at around 0.5% as they manage to keep on top of it and their hospitals can cope. UK is currently at that level too.

Think I read that the rate outside Hubei province in China was 0.6%, which would bear that out as well.

Question then is how many untested people have had it, which you would have to imagine would be several times higher - if it's 5x untested for tested then could the actual death rate (assuming efficient medical facilities) be as low as 0.1%?

I suspect you are falsely assuming that all active cases will recover. Germany seem to be coping exceptionally well, but from the latest figures (from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/) they have had 159 deaths vs 3.209 recovered, with just under 30k open cases which may go either way. It has been said also that in the dead and critical counts they exclude people with serious other illness, don’t know if that is true or not, but could explain the difference. And of course like everywhere else the number of actual cases (active and recovered) is probably much higher than officially tested and this reported.

The differences in death rate are interesting - Germany and Austria are both running at around 0.5% as they manage to keep on top of it and their hospitals can cope. UK is currently at that level too.

Think I read that the rate outside Hubei province in China was 0.6%, which would bear that out as well.

Question then is how many untested people have had it, which you would have to imagine would be several times higher - if it's 5x untested for tested then could the actual death rate (assuming efficient medical facilities) be as low as 0.1%?

I suspect you are falsely assuming that all active cases will recover. Germany seem to be coping exceptionally well, but from the latest figures (from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/) they have had 159 deaths vs 3.209 recovered, with just under 30k open cases which may go either way. It has been said also that in the dead and critical counts they exclude people with serious other illness, don’t know if that is true or not, but could explain the difference. And of course like everywhere else the number of actual cases (active and recovered) is probably much higher than officially tested and this reported.

Indeed I was - well spotted!  :embarrassed:

Been reading around a few different projections this morning and the lack of reliable data seems to be the key problem, the range of possible outcomes is quite something.

Hearing about some shocking stories in the construction trade.

Big building firms telling contractors they must send workers to the site and finish the job as they have signed the contract and the programme must be finished on time.

People (self emoyed subbies) getting told if they don't come in then they won't be offered any more work and they will be replaced.

Lots of names being taken down of these companies and they will be released in the future.

Big building firms telling contractors they must send workers to the site and finish the job as they have signed the contract and the programme must be finished on time.

People (self emoyed subbies) getting told if they don't come in then they won't be offered any more work and they will be replaced.

Lots of names being taken down of these companies and they will be released in the future.

Amazing how many industries think they are far more important than they are in these times.

It's alreet.

I'm sure the building firm sent out an email about how the well being of their staff and customers is their main priority.

It shows they care.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

"From 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus. You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive. Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months."

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/car-motorcycle-van-mot-coronavirus-crisis/

"Garages carrying out car repairs are listed as exempted businesses as they are considered an ‘essential service’ to ensure vehicles remain safe and roadworthy."

The kid is due some vaccinations on the 31st, safe to assume it's postponed? Not keen on phoning to check, what with constant messages asking us not to waste their time.

Our 1 year old had his last Wednesday, obviously things have changed since then but the advice we got then was that they were looking to keep them going as long as possible (consequences of not vaccinated too high) but other routine check ups would be cancelled.

I'd give the health visitor a call and check

The kid is due some vaccinations on the 31st, safe to assume it's postponed? Not keen on phoning to check, what with constant messages asking us not to waste their time.

Our 1 year old had his last Wednesday, obviously things have changed since then but the advice we got then was that they were looking to keep them going as long as possible (consequences of not vaccinated too high) but other routine check ups would be cancelled.

I'd give the health visitor a call and check

Wow, okay will do then, cheers. That'll annoy the other half, she hates her getting the jags, will use any excuse to get out of them. I'll stand firm. :knuppel2:

I'm pretty certain I heard the other day that child vaccinations were still going ahead (that was before the "lock down" though).

Where are the vaccinations done? A hospital or at the GPs? NHS hospitals contact people to cancel non-essential appointments. The GP should cancel the appointment if it isn't going to happen. I'd assume the vaccinations will go ahead unless you are told otherwise. I have family who had GP appointments and hospital appointments and they were all contacted to say the appointment was cancelled.

I'm pretty certain I heard the other day that child vaccinations were still going ahead (that was before the "lock down" though).

Where are the vaccinations done? A hospital or at the GPs? NHS hospitals contact people to cancel non-essential appointments. The GP should cancel the appointment if it isn't going to happen. I'd assume the vaccinations will go ahead unless you are told otherwise. I have family who had GP appointments and hospital appointments and they were all contacted to say the appointment was cancelled.

Local health centre, about a 2 dozen or so GPs in the one building. I'll check it up though, a bit worried they won't have up to date mobile numbers.

:lol:

I'm surprised she's still employed. She accused some kid in intensive care and his father of being Corbyn plants because they criticised Trumpson.

Turned out the kid was genuinely ill.

No apology.

Classy Tory.

Is that that awful Telegraph 'journalist'?