COVID-19 - 'Milestone' vaccine approved for use in the UK

We're not trying to stop it HTT.  We're just trying to slow it down so our hospitals can cope.

I know that, but lockdown/lockout isn’t the way, it creates even more problems and issues than it’s trying to solve. Or potentially. I mean imaging closing the Metro, the Tube, banning all flights in and out? The powers test be need to be pushing the basics the most and we all need to take a deep breath and accept that this is no more deadlier than the common flu and that the best way to combat it is to try and isolate it with tried and tested steps/measures, rather than going full on doomsday scenario, which will have a far more devastating impact on us all than the virus itself!

If you were in charge we'd have hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Fuck off, you know more or less than I do and can’t predict such fucking ridiculous outcomes one way or another and I don’t care what your field of profession is on this. No offence!

HTT I understand you're a nice lad who means well, but please stop this in here. Your fuckwittery is entertaining on less serious subjects, but not here.

Fuck off, again don’t moralise on something you are in the same boat as I am over, in that you know Jack shit. I’m just posting thoughts on what I feel as a society I’m more concerned about and feel more at ease at least trying to be a bit less dramatic/doomsday over. You are of course entitled to shit your pants and join the pandemic...

It is deadlier than the common flu. Don't endanger others with this ignorance.

Troll has a fucking phd in virology, so I would certainly trust his judgment on this over yours.

As someone who takes pride in my own hygiene/personal health risk assessment I’m not going to endanger anyone, meanwhile my way of life, your way of life, is in danger, all over a virus that right now the common flu is deadlier and again, not even the so-called experts have a fucking clue, that’s what scares m

the the most actually.

Are you seriously just going to be this willfully thick? The common flu is less deadly by likely many times than this. You may not even know you are endangering anyone. You could be asymptomatic and accidentally infecting people, even if you wash your hands all the time. This is just so fucking selfish of you, man.

So-called experts? People like you are such a massive problem, and living examples of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Have a serious look at yourself, and show a bit of consideration for others. Start by understanding your own ignorance.

Fuck off seriously, how dare you over the musings on N.O. Consideration for others? Really? You know Jack shit like 99% of everyone over this, with all due respect, you know Jack shit other than what you think or ought to think is correct, same as me, right or wrong. Don’t go saying I’m a danger to my neighbour basically though :lol:

You’d think I was CoronaVirus...

How dare me? Apparently we know more than you do. And yes, your utterly irresponsible attitude suggests that you are a possible danger. Considering my background is science at least gives me an ability to understand how the scientific method works, to spot junk science, and to take very seriously what virologists and disease detectives are saying. I seriously suggest you look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect, because you are demonstrating it beautifully right now.

You are likely going to look a royal cunt in a few weeks.

I don’t profess to know than you do, you on the other hand...

I’ll see you on the other side of the wall...

Via WhatsApp?

I have the good sense to take what many virologists are saying seriously, who know a hell of a lot more than both of us. You were the one brazenly ignorant enough to say "so-called experts." Once again, do yourself a favor and look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

No thanks. I’ll carry on endangering my neighbours.

But only if they don’t lock themselves up/down/away from me so I don’t get it! Then I’m gonna play ball!

Jesus Christ, man.  I imagine that you will probably at some point regret some of your comments.

Guest Howaythetoon

We're not trying to stop it HTT.  We're just trying to slow it down so our hospitals can cope.

I know that, but lockdown/lockout isn’t the way, it creates even more problems and issues than it’s trying to solve. Or potentially. I mean imaging closing the Metro, the Tube, banning all flights in and out? The powers test be need to be pushing the basics the most and we all need to take a deep breath and accept that this is no more deadlier than the common flu and that the best way to combat it is to try and isolate it with tried and tested steps/measures, rather than going full on doomsday scenario, which will have a far more devastating impact on us all than the virus itself!

Fuck off, you know more or less than I do and can’t predict such fucking ridiculous outcomes one way or another and I don’t care what your field of profession is on this. No offence!

HTT I understand you're a nice lad who means well, but please stop this in here. Your fuckwittery is entertaining on less serious subjects, but not here.

Fuck off, again don’t moralise on something you are in the same boat as I am over, in that you know Jack shit. I’m just posting thoughts on what I feel as a society I’m more concerned about and feel more at ease at least trying to be a bit less dramatic/doomsday over. You are of course entitled to shit your pants and join the pandemic...

Troll has a fucking phd in virology, so I would certainly trust his judgment on this over yours.

As someone who takes pride in my own hygiene/personal health risk assessment I’m not going to endanger anyone, meanwhile my way of life, your way of life, is in danger, all over a virus that right now the common flu is deadlier and again, not even the so-called experts have a fucking clue, that’s what scares m

the the most actually.

Are you seriously just going to be this willfully thick? The common flu is less deadly by likely many times than this. You may not even know you are endangering anyone. You could be asymptomatic and accidentally infecting people, even if you wash your hands all the time. This is just so fucking selfish of you, man.

So-called experts? People like you are such a massive problem, and living examples of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Have a serious look at yourself, and show a bit of consideration for others. Start by understanding your own ignorance.

Fuck off seriously, how dare you over the musings on N.O. Consideration for others? Really? You know Jack shit like 99% of everyone over this, with all due respect, you know Jack shit other than what you think or ought to think is correct, same as me, right or wrong. Don’t go saying I’m a danger to my neighbour basically though :lol:

How dare me? Apparently we know more than you do. And yes, your utterly irresponsible attitude suggests that you are a possible danger. Considering my background is science at least gives me an ability to understand how the scientific method works, to spot junk science, and to take very seriously what virologists and disease detectives are saying. I seriously suggest you look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect, because you are demonstrating it beautifully right now.

You are likely going to look a royal cunt in a few weeks.

I don’t profess to know than you do, you on the other hand...

Via WhatsApp?

I have the good sense to take what many virologists are saying seriously, who know a hell of a lot more than both of us. You were the one brazenly ignorant enough to say "so-called experts." Once again, do yourself a favor and look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

No thanks. I’ll carry on endangering my neighbours.

But only if they don’t lock themselves up/down/away from me so I don’t get it! Then I’m gonna play ball!

Jesus Christ, man.  I imagine that you will probably at some point regret some of your comments.

Nah, I never liked my neighbours anyway!

Taiwan haven't needed a lockdown and have had huge success keeping the cases down but they've taken it super seriously after being stung by SARS and swearing they'd never let it happen again. Google Taiwan coronavirus and a lot of UK media picking up on it now, incredible how efficiently they've managed the situation and I saw it when I was over there.

Masks worn by 99% in crowded areas, temperatures being taken at restaurants and hotels, masks being rationed to a couple a week to anyone with an ID card, hand sanitisers everywhere and an obedient public watching daily press conferences on TV with instructions on what to do next. Can't argue with the results, think a lockdown should have happened already in this country as the culture isn't there to adopt most of that stuff here.

I think a larger point is that maybe we shouldn't do what we have always done. It's time to think a bit more collectively on this. The social contract as far as I am concerned suggests that we modify our behaviors as much as we can now to reduce infection, and overburdening our taxed healthcare systems. Those who know exponential growth understand that a matter a few days can make a difference between thousands being hospitalized. So now is the time to start.

People that come over to my place have to take their shoes off outside and wash their hands with a hospital grade sanitizer. I've had this protocol in place for a month now. Think most people have been thinking about defensive measures for a few weeks now.

It shocked me when Bojo said the other day in a carefree manner that, ''I suppose it will go through our society, I don't want to take any draconian measures''. Fat fucking donkey that he is.

Don’t care, not having myself called out as a threat to society man, howay :lol:

Starving, not ordering in this late, nowt in the fridge and cupboards expect home made pizza dough, tinned tomatoes and feta cheese so...

4-BFF7-E03-2971-41-A0-BF52-322859-BC1-A9-E.jpg

3-EEDEF73-0344-4081-A9-DC-E3-FAE28-CE057.jpg

92429-A63-511-C-4-A46-9-D3-C-587794265710.jpg

Drizzled with olive oil, otherwise it would be dry as fuck!

Guest Howaythetoon

Don’t care, not having myself called out as a threat to society man, howay :lol:

Starving, not ordering in this late, nowt in the fridge and cupboards expect home made pizza dough, tinned tomatoes and feta cheese so...

4-BFF7-E03-2971-41-A0-BF52-322859-BC1-A9-E.jpg

3-EEDEF73-0344-4081-A9-DC-E3-FAE28-CE057.jpg

92429-A63-511-C-4-A46-9-D3-C-587794265710.jpg

Drizzled with olive oil, otherwise it would be dry as fuck!

Meanwhile in an empty Pizza Hut deserted because of some foreign sounding flu...

I’ll survive :lol:

f*** off, you know more or less than I do and can’t predict such f***ing ridiculous outcomes one way or another and I don’t care what your field of profession is on this. No offence!

f*** off, again don’t moralise on something you are in the same boat as I am over, in that you know Jack s***. I’m just posting thoughts on what I feel as a society I’m more concerned about and feel more at ease at least trying to be a bit less dramatic/doomsday over. You are of course entitled to s*** your pants and join the pandemic...

Troll has a f***ing phd in virology, so I would certainly trust his judgment on this over yours.

As someone who takes pride in my own hygiene/personal health risk assessment I’m not going to endanger anyone, meanwhile my way of life, your way of life, is in danger, all over a virus that right now the common flu is deadlier and again, not even the so-called experts have a f***ing clue, that’s what scares m

the the most actually.

Are you seriously just going to be this willfully thick? The common flu is less deadly by likely many times than this. You may not even know you are endangering anyone. You could be asymptomatic and accidentally infecting people, even if you wash your hands all the time. This is just so f***ing selfish of you, man.

f*** off seriously, how dare you over the musings on N.O. Consideration for others? Really? You know Jack s*** like 99% of everyone over this, with all due respect, you know Jack s*** other than what you think or ought to think is correct, same as me, right or wrong. Don’t go saying I’m a danger to my neighbour basically though :lol:

You are likely going to look a royal c*** in a few weeks.

I don’t profess to know more than you do, you on the other hand...

Via WhatsApp?

Should I lock myself up and for how long until this goes away?

To be fair if you are prepared to die for this (and those close to you) then it’s fine. Please continue.

So, if I’m to not die and those close to me, I do what exactly? I promise, I’ll do whatever you recommend/advise/demand/say.

Thank you DR

I don’t understand why you sounds like no one in the world know what it is, while people in HK Taiwan Singapore have been dealing with it for months and able to contain the situation much better than Europe?

Guest Howaythetoon

Are people genuinely considering locking themselves away now? Or is that a bit OTT at this minute? At what point do you stop going out at all and telling the missus you'll see her in a few weeks :lol:

If I could get away with self quarantine on my own to get away from the wife and kids, I would, even if it meant getting the virus for real :lol:

Bring it on, I’ve had fucking man flu!

Are people genuinely considering locking themselves away now? Or is that a bit OTT at this minute? At what point do you stop going out at all and telling the missus you'll see her in a few weeks :lol:

If I could get away with self quarantine on my own to get away from the wife and kids, I would, even if it meant getting the virus for real :lol:

This is proper wind up material.  :lol:

Are people genuinely considering locking themselves away now? Or is that a bit OTT at this minute? At what point do you stop going out at all and telling the missus you'll see her in a few weeks [emoji38]

I'm going to work tomorrow as have a few meetings but WFH Friday and would be amazed if employer hasn't intervened by then to say everyone should WFH. It's going to spread like fuck in London if nowt is done to stop everyone mixing as usual. Google and Facebook employees in the UK were sent home a week or so ago, apparently.
Guest Howaythetoon

f*** off, you know more or less than I do and can’t predict such f***ing ridiculous outcomes one way or another and I don’t care what your field of profession is on this. No offence!

f*** off, again don’t moralise on something you are in the same boat as I am over, in that you know Jack s***. I’m just posting thoughts on what I feel as a society I’m more concerned about and feel more at ease at least trying to be a bit less dramatic/doomsday over. You are of course entitled to s*** your pants and join the pandemic...

Troll has a f***ing phd in virology, so I would certainly trust his judgment on this over yours.

As someone who takes pride in my own hygiene/personal health risk assessment I’m not going to endanger anyone, meanwhile my way of life, your way of life, is in danger, all over a virus that right now the common flu is deadlier and again, not even the so-called experts have a f***ing clue, that’s what scares m

the the most actually.

Are you seriously just going to be this willfully thick? The common flu is less deadly by likely many times than this. You may not even know you are endangering anyone. You could be asymptomatic and accidentally infecting people, even if you wash your hands all the time. This is just so f***ing selfish of you, man.

f*** off seriously, how dare you over the musings on N.O. Consideration for others? Really? You know Jack s*** like 99% of everyone over this, with all due respect, you know Jack s*** other than what you think or ought to think is correct, same as me, right or wrong. Don’t go saying I’m a danger to my neighbour basically though :lol:

Via WhatsApp?

To be fair if you are prepared to die for this (and those close to you) then it’s fine. Please continue.

So, if I’m to not die and those close to me, I do what exactly? I promise, I’ll do whatever you recommend/advise/demand/say.

Thank you DR

I don’t understand why you sounds like no one in the world know what it is, while people in HK Taiwan Singapore have been dealing with it for months and able to contain the situation much better than Europe?

I don’t profess to anything. Right now, no one knows what it is, other what they all think is the right or wrong way to deal with it. Me, the right way is to carry on as normal and do what I’ve always done to protect myself and if shit happens, take solace in the fact that I’m more likely to die from choking to death in my sleep.

And if I do choke to death, well, we all die eventually.

I just hope me washing my hands among other precautions goes in my favour almighty god.

Take out some cunt like Ashley first!

Guest Howaythetoon

This is proper wind up material.  :lol:

And put up with Parky and his conspiracies! Good to see you posting btw, hope you washed your hands for 20 seconds before hitting post mind.

the the most actually.

Via WhatsApp?

Thank you DR

I don’t profess to anything. Right now, no one knows what it is, other what they all think is the right or wrong way to deal with it. Me, the right way is to carry on as normal and do what I’ve always done to protect myself and if shit happens, take solace in the fact that I’m more likely to die from choking to death in my sleep.

I just hope me washing my hands among other precautions goes in my favour almighty god.

Equating your lack of knowledge with experts is absurd. Many disease detectives know exactly what it is, and have a very good idea when it jumped to the first human. There are many experts who know a hell of a lot more than you, yet you are apparently downplaying them to your level with such comments. That is incredibly unwise, and another example to me why science should be beaten to death into our children from a very young age.

I absolutely think that a temporary controlled lockdown is a good idea. Get people working from home if they can. Delay sporting events for several weeks. Reschedule concerts etc.

But I still have so many unanswered questions on this (we all do) that are stopping me from completely shitting the bed.

[*] Firstly, the death rate. The death rate of KNOWN infections is 3%ish. But the reality of the situation is that almost certainly there have been thousands of mild cases of this that have been passed off as the common cold / flu this winter, and have not been counted towards the official figures. How many people do you know who’ve had cold / flu symptoms, coughs etc in the last few weeks? I can count myself in that list, and know at least 3 or 4 of my friends have been under the weather. I know when I drop my kids off at school at the minute all you hear is kids coughing. None of these people have been tested. For all we know there could be thousands and thousands of cases in the UK but no one has tested them. You could logically conclude that worldwide there has been a huge amount of undetected cases of it.

[*]I know China put a lot of serious measures in place, which is great, but one of the things that has stopped me overly panicking about this so far is that the amount of known infections in China is relatively tiny. 85,000 in a country of 1.6billion (only 0.005% of the population). That has to give us a lot of encouragement that we can get this under control with the right measures put in place.

[*]It’s encouraging to hear that of the 27,000 tested in the UK so far, only 1.6% of those have tested positive.

[*]I know people don’t like it being compared to the common flu as it’s quite clearly a more complex issue, but you have to admit that if the flu was reported on like this has been, we’d be shitting ourselves about that too. Hell, back in 2013 there was an estimated 16,000 flu related deaths in the UK. An average of 34 per day. And that’s WITH a vaccine. Imagine if we read that headline every day.

So in summary, I’m taking it seriously, agree that we need to put some social distancing measures in place and practice good hygiene, but I’m also trying to not shit the bed completely because these stats are not telling the full story. The key is really in stopping our NHS being overrun.

HTT, I don't know if you're on the wind up or not, but I think it really needs to be made clear that it's not about whether or not you will be fine. You probably will be, as will most who contract the virus. The issue is that it is highly contagious and has a comparatively high mortality rate for those who are more at risk. I'm sure for a fact that you know somebody elderly, or with underlying health conditions, who would fall into such a category. And even if you don't then the same compassion should stand for a stranger.

A blasé 'life must go on as normal' mantra is a very dangerous and selfish attitude to take that could cost a lot of lives. A temporary shutdown of normality, which has gone a long way to contain the virus in Asia, is the obvious step in this instance.

With China, you have to remember that it's a huge country, but it was very localised.  Their lockdowns stopped it spreading to the rest of the country.  So while the country has over a billion people, most of them weren't exposed too much.  The main outbreak took place in Hubei Province, a place that is about the same size and population as England.

Guest Howaythetoon

the the most actually.

Via WhatsApp?

Thank you DR

Equating your lack of knowledge with experts is absurd. Many disease detectives know exactly what it is, and have a very good idea when it jumped to the first human. There are many experts who know a hell of a lot more than you, yet you are apparently downplaying them to your level with such comments. That is incredibly unwise, and another example to me why science should be beaten to death into our children from a very young age.

If you’re a scientific man, you’ll agree there is no such thing as an expert. Or rather no such thing as someone who knows the answer to everything RE something. Not the definitive answer anyway. An expert in virology doesn’t equate to an expert in CoronaVirus, least of all expertised enough to solve the problem. Do that and then it dies there and then and we all live happily ever after. I’ll carry on protecting myself in the tried and trusted ways and try and live my life as normal as possible, worrying more about heart disease, cancer etc. True diseases that are not viral/man made. Or rather man generated/spread.