I'm coming home Newcastle, Never should have been away

Exiled in Texas

It's been 30 years since I lived in Newcastle but I'll be heading back up next month to visit as an add-on to a business trip.

I have a couple of questions

First - Trains from Manchester.  I'm coming up from Manchester and wanted to stop in York for a couple of hours - Can I get any TPX ticket and just get off in York and rejoin on a later TPX or other train?

Second -  Are these pubs still good to visit for a quick pint as I stroll around the Toon and the quayside?  Crown Posada, Baccus and Empress. 

TP trains are horrifically unreliable but you’d need two separate tickets to split your journey like that most likely.

Thanks Disco,  Yeah - a return Manchester York and also York Newcastle would work

Cheap as chips if you book in advance. You can get tickets from the airport with some validity scheme if your flight is delayed too. Factor in at least a half hour from touch down to train :thup:

It's been 30 years since I lived in Newcastle but I'll be heading back up next month to visit as an add-on to a business trip.

First - Trains from Manchester.  I'm coming up from Manchester and wanted to stop in York for a couple of hours - Can I get any TPX ticket and just get off in York and rejoin on a later TPX or other train?

Second -  Are these pubs still good to visit for a quick pint as I stroll around the Toon and the quayside?  Crown Posada, Baccus and Empress. 

I’d book a ticket from Manchester to York then York to Newcastle for the times you want. Will work out cheaper.

www.lner.co.uk

Crown Posada hasn’t changed in 30 year... Bacchus is still nice too but is open plan now. Empress like others have said has changed dramatically so I’d swap that for the Beehive or The Bridge Hotel. The Northumberland Arms and The Old George also.

You'll have to drop into the Baltic Tavern, the Barley Mow and the Egypt Cottage too...oh, hang on.

I’d book a ticket from Manchester to York then York to Newcastle for the times you want. Will work out cheaper.

www.lner.co.uk

Crown Posada hasn’t changed in 30 year... Bacchus is still nice too but is open plan now. Empress like others have said has changed dramatically so I’d swap that for the Beehive or The Bridge Hotel. The Northumberland Arms and The Old George also.

I wouldn't book through Lner for the transpennie express ticket.

www.lner.co.uk

I wouldn't book through Lner for the transpennie express ticket.

Unless you're an NUFC season ticket holder and use the deal they have on at the minute. Booked a few tickets to Wakefield recently using that deal through LNER but the trains I'll be on will be TPE and Northern.