The Current-Gen Thread (PS5, Xbox Series X)

On paper the Xbox looks to be the stronger machine in terms of graphics. Similar CPU’s but again the Xbox clocks higher. Same with RAM.

I’m not sure how having a very fast ssd can make up for all this?

Seems like the specs aren't that much different based on this comparison, bigger numbers on paper doesn't necessarily equal more powerful.

At the end of the day people who like Playstation exclusive games will probably buy the PS5 regardless of any power, performance and price differences to the Xbox. I have a subscription to Xbox Game Pass which runs to June 2022 due to Microsoft's ridiculously cheap offer (it probably cost me around £71 to get 2 years+ of subscription). Xbox One owners will probably stick to Xbox due to Xbox Game Pass.

On paper the Xbox looks to be the stronger machine in terms of graphics. Similar CPU’s but again the Xbox clocks higher. Same with RAM.

I’m not sure how having a very fast ssd can make up for all this?

It won't, SSD's are always CPU limited even on the best of PC's.

Nah ill stay with my pc.... PC MASTER RACE  :smitten: :smitten:

I have the smartest move. I PLAY all my games on PC, but I BUY both the PS & the Xbox consoles, every single god damn time. I'm a fuckin idiot.

Opposite for me.  Hate playing at a desk, and on more than one occasion I've bought a Playstation game I already own on PC just so I can play it on the couch.

There’s currently only a few gpu’s that exceed the power (Tflops) that the new Xbox will have. All of which cost a fortune.

There will be nothing game changing in the next generation but you’ll get a taste of what those high end gpu’s can do for a fraction of the cost. Can’t see them charging any more than £500 for the console?

I guess it depends what games you play, but right now the performance of my PC versus any console makes it pretty unbearable to play on console.

How much is your setup approx?

I know it wasnt ment for me but 220 from amazon and build myself +gtx1050 that i got from my mommy for 40 quid bless her

And 8gig of ram i already had

Its not topspec but havent found a game i cant run on max

There’s currently only a few gpu’s that exceed the power (Tflops) that the new Xbox will have. All of which cost a fortune.

Correct. But those new consoles aren't out yet. I'm sure when new consoles come out, they'll have similar performance to higher end gaming PCs. But it wont last very long.

I guess it depends what games you play, but right now the performance of my PC versus any console makes it pretty unbearable to play on console.

I'm paying in dollarinos, but I think my PC, sans GPU was like $400, but the GPU itself was $600. And my monitor was ~$300. And I've various other things, keyboard, headset etc, that weren't inexpensive. But it's been an investment over time. (Although the GPU was my birthday basically). You could get a PC for much cheaper that will still play any game with much greater FPS than any console.

It really all depends on what you're playing. I play Rocket League and Apex. Both competitive online games. I'd be much less bothered about performance if I wasn't playing such games. With single player games, that are less reaction based, I can turn up the graphics settings and get it real purdy, but with Apex and even RL, I don't max out graphics settings, because I'm much more concerned about frames.

Anyway, none of this is news to people. If you're just throwing on a pick-up-and-play game on your TV, a PC is pointless... but I've put so many goddamn hours into RL, I want to be as good as I can be, and that won't happen on my Xbox. Just traversing the menus makes me want to shoot myself it's so goddamn jerky.

I'm paying in dollarinos, but I think my PC, sans GPU was like $400, but the GPU itself was $600. And my monitor was ~$300. And I've various other things, keyboard, headset etc, that weren't inexpensive. But it's been an investment over time. (Although the GPU was my birthday basically). You could get a PC for much cheaper that will still play any game with much greater FPS than any console.

It really all depends on what you're playing. I play Rocket League and Apex. Both competitive online games. I'd be much less bothered about performance if I wasn't playing such games. With single player games, that are less reaction based, I can turn up the graphics settings and get it real purdy, but with Apex and even RL, I don't max out graphics settings, because I'm much more concerned about frames.

Anyway, none of this is news to people. If you're just throwing on a pick-up-and-play game on your TV, a PC is pointless... but I've put so many goddamn hours into RL, I want to be as good as I can be, and that won't happen on my Xbox. Just traversing the menus makes me want to shoot myself it's so goddamn jerky.

I just wired my PC to my TV via a 30 metre HDMI cable, with the wireless xbox one adapter and a Bluetooth keyboard for inputs. Best of both worlds.

I just wired my PC to my TV via a 30 metre HDMI cable, with the wireless xbox one adapter and a Bluetooth keyboard for inputs. Best of both worlds.

30M HDMI cable.  Jeez.

You can actually do HDMI through your electrical sockets via ethernet passthrough.  Although don't think it supports newer HDMI standards.

Pfffff, you find me a tv with freesync, running at 240hz with a 1ms response time. You ain’t goin pro playing on a TV marra. Imma sign for NRG any day now.

Correct. But those new consoles aren't out yet. I'm sure when new consoles come out, they'll have similar performance to higher end gaming PCs. But it wont last very long.

I don't think they'll even be that good.

It's the loading times that annoy me more than anything. I simply refuse to play anything below 60fps as it hurts my brain.

They should tick both those boxes for you. If the next gen doesn’t remove everything sub 60fps I’d be very disappointed. Load times don’t bother me so much as sometimes a breather is quite nice depending on the genre but the PS5 in particular sounds amazingly fast on that front.

They should tick both those boxes for you. If the next gen doesn’t remove everything sub 60fps I’d be very disappointed. Load times don’t bother me so much as sometimes a breather is quite nice depending on the genre but the PS5 in particular sounds amazingly fast on that front.

I'm very sceptical about the ps5 claims, even on the very best of PC's you still have some loading times as you have bottlenecks.

Most TV's can only output to 60hz in anycase.  So while it should get above 60fps in the next gen, most won't see the benefit.

Don’t quite follow what you are trying to say here? Screen output doesn’t have anything to do with FPS the games run at its how well they are optimised and programmed within their means. Sorry if I’m missing something obvious what you are explaining.

If the hardware doesn’t allow for example full resolution at highest frame rate I’d much rather have 1080/60FPS than 4K/30FPS for the majority of games. Ideally I’d like it as standard on consoles that you have the option to decide what you can sacrifice for frame rate and resolution.

I’ve no experience of seeing something run at 120fps. Visually can you tell from 60 to 120 as obvious as you can 30 to 60?