Players wages

jackyboy

In the light of all of this frightening Coronavirus epidemic and all of those who have lost their incomes in full or in part and jobs lost altogether it makes me wonder.  As footballers are not playing any more, and managers basically unemployed for how long we don't know,  why don't they lose their jobs or income.  Why should they be treated any different to the rest of us?

I wonder if football and the obscene monies attached will come down like a pack of cards

Just because people are losing wages, it doesn’t mean the answer is to make others lose their wages.

I’d imagine that there will be a lot of footballers out there who will be providing a living to their friends and family at these times. Many of them send money back to poor countries they are from.

The thing is people don’t know about this because often the players don’t publicly tell you.

I could imagine that Almirón would be sending money home, and that was before this virus.

I’d imagine Joelinton will be sending money to Brazil.

I think their will be loads of them sending money about, be that their friends and families, or to the wider community.

Guest neesy111

Premier league footballers really should be reducing their wages, players in other countries are doing it.

Its a tricky one and also tricky for club accounts and valuations. Players contracts are running down and valuations decreasing without any income.

Will be very interesting to see how clubs deal with the situation on paper, what the transfer windows will look like and whether the PFA do anything to add time to player contracts

Can they do anything though? They have a contract for x number of years which is legally binding I assume.

Depends if clubs have given all money back to supporters or TV companies, not sure why players should reduce if clubs don't.

Most Norwegian clubs have put their players on leave, they're now getting the same benefits from the government (up to the same maximum level as others) as "normal" people and are forced to accept short term jobs if offered to continue getting said benefits.

Downside for the clubs are that per Norwegian law, after 14 days on leave they'e allowed to sign for another club if that club says they'll pay full wages. Seems to be a gentlemans agreement between most players and clubs in Norway, but some differences as certain clubs have kept their foreign players on the payroll as they don't qualify for benefits from the Norwegian state being foreign nationals - as well as players clubs are afraid will fuck off to other clubs after 14 days.

Also read Messi, Pique and others have turned down getting a 50% wage cut during the period there is no football.

Guest neesy111

Most Norwegian clubs have put their players on leave, they're now getting the same benefits from the government (up to the same maximum level as others) as "normal" people and are forced to accept short term jobs if offered to continue getting said benefits.

Downside for the clubs are that per Norwegian law, after 14 days on leave they'e allowed to sign for another club if that club says they'll pay full wages. Seems to be a gentlemans agreement between most players and clubs in Norway, but some differences as certain clubs have kept their foreign players on the payroll as they don't qualify for benefits from the Norwegian state being foreign nationals - as well as players clubs are afraid will fuck off to other clubs after 14 days.

Also read Messi, Pique and others have turned down getting a 50% wage cut during the period there is no football.

Barcelona are forcing the ERTE onto them because they rejected the offer.  Absolute cunts in doing so (the players).

Barcelona are forcing the ERTE onto them because they rejected the offer.  Absolute cunts in doing so (the players).

Imagine Messi on 300 euros a week :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair, if any one of us were asked to take a hit on our pay whatever the percentage, no-one would be happy and rightly so. Hopefully after this, football will take a good long hard look at the sums they pay players, they pay on transfers, to agents and how much they actually do rely on fans’ money because take away fans and there is no TV company who will buy the rights to beam live games every week in an empty stadium or players who will want to keep playing on a field basically empty all-around.

I doubt things will change though. The game could do with going bust actually and starting from fresh, with fans and local councils/trusts taking over and running things for fans and the community rather than for £££. I honestly hope it doesn’t recover and we see a rise in smaller local amateur clubs emerging/supported. I know I’ll be taking my two to watch Newcastle Blue Star in the future if they survive. The game has milked the fat cow for too long now and become bloated. Have some fucking council pop cunts like the rest of us!

It will be interesting to see if clubs change contracts to allow for a wage holiday for such cases to be implemented. I don’t think players would go for it though, and no doubt clubs who are forced to implement such clauses would be pushed out for clubs who can’t.

Guest Howaythetoon

Players should get a set wage and then have their income topped up by bonuses etc. I don’t begrudge anyone earning whatever they can get and the likes of Messi and Ronaldo for example deserve to be paid whatever they get because they are the stars, but overall spend on wages, fees and agents etc. is obscene and has costs the game it’s identity, it’s integrity, it’s competitiveness and it’s entire purpose - sport. Some players actually earn more from their social media accounts than for playing football. Things have to change and maybe this will be the driving force behind that. It couldn’t continue before this world crisis on the same trajectory, now it will be proved one would hope. Again, let it go bust and let them all fight over their scraps of money.

Our own club’s non-first team staff have all had their pay reduced to 80%/£2500 yet all th players and Bruce are getting their full millions.

Definitely something not right there!

Our own club’s non-first team staff have all had their pay reduced to 80%/£2500 yet all th players and Bruce are getting their full millions.

We are rotten to the fucking core. Players should be taking the hit and cutting wages to pay the staff themselves.

Guest neesy111

We are rotten to the fucking core. Players should be taking the hit and cutting wages to pay the staff themselves.

Exactly, I'd bet the number of staff on our books is far lower than similar PL clubs as well.

We are rotten to the f***ing core. Players should be taking the hit and cutting wages to pay the staff themselves.

Exactly, I'd bet the number of staff on our books is far lower than similar PL clubs as well.

Very surprised indeed Lascelles hasn't led the charge, but then again he seems to have gone to shit under Bruce on and off the pitch a bit.

Good to see Brucey also taking the lead, he's a local lad that loves the club don't you know.