Mortal Shell (XB,PS4,PC)

TheInfiniteOdyssey

Good trailer. I'm always sceptical of Souls-like games though, still haven't really found one that captures "that" feeling, most of them just feel like cheap clones. Hollow Knight was probably closest but obviously it strays into others genres.

Sceptical of the dev team consisting of ex call of duty developers as well :lol:

• 2 months later...

Its gorgeous but combat looks more Surge 1 than Soulsborne. Didn't seem to be much heft to it.

Still on board, albeit cautiously.

That was my exact thought. Doesn't seem to be much meat to the sword strikes. Doesn't feel like much impact

• 3 weeks later...

Bit rough around the edges (it's a beta after all) but I think there's probably meat here. It's got more in common with Bloodborne than souls in that it seems to reward aggression over pragmatism. I'm not a fan of the parry being a bar, and I don't totally understand/see the point in the harden mechanic instead of blocking but fair play to them for trying something new there. Having the character harden during rolls is better than i-frames and fits in with the lore they're going for.

Hoping I can get a bit deeper and find a shell that fits my DEX playstyle. This heavy sword bullshit isn't me, no matter how fast he is with it.

Fleeting sense of heft in the combat, you'll get that thrill, but it's still kinda light, kinda loose. I like it so far, though.