Player Opinions - #3 Paul Dummett

Absolute quality. Gotta love the people who think he costs us so many points.

Snap - I cant believe some of the comments! He’s made over 10% more saves than the second highest keeper for them!

It's certainly the most excited I've ever been by a goalkeeper transfer. Krul was just a youngster so all you could do was trust Kinnear's eye for a young goalie; Elliot was backup so no real opinion until he got into the team and then stayed in the team and then - like the likes of Colback, became a reflection of that dickhead Pardew. Darlow was a similar story to Krul. Sels was interesting because it was someone other than Darlow and Elliot... but Dubravka was a bit exciting purely because you trusted Rafa and it was so clear he'd wanted a goalie of his own from the very beginning. So it was like, right then, I believe he'll improve the team so bring it on, let's see what he's all about. And he really, really did.

I remember watching a compilation video on the day we signed him, he seemed absolutely crackers, limbs flying all over the place. His ears were incredible too.

Him and Kenedy were fantastic signings that January. That manager really knew what he was fucking doing. Imagine if he'd had a competitive budget.

Seems a decent bloke and I really like him, but I know we'll lose him to Chelsea or something soon, so not getting too attached.

He had a shaky patch, but overall he's been a very good goalie and I reckon he's saved us more points than he's given away. I reckon him and Krul in their prime are about level, but Krul's prime barely lasted a season or so before he got weird.

Great signing and amazing debut.  Reminded me of Jonas' debut. Both just telling Man Utd to gtfo. Was a fantastic video on youtube with all his saves from that match and the crowd going absolutely mental.

After the absolute dross we had to endure in nets he was a breath of fresh air. Probably the best commander of the NUFC penalty area I can remember in my lifetime. He's also a tremendous shot-stopper (most of the time) and I usually feel confident when he has the ball at his feet, which is a quality I'm unaccustomed to in our keepers.

He seems to be a supremely likeable bloke and it's a real shame we won't get to see him in a NUFC side that is genuinely looking to progress.

It's between him and Given for my in-my-lifetime number one.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m not going to get into the debate vs Given, but if we had Dubravka in goal during 95-96 we win the title. I think he’s class personally, as a ‘keeper and as a person. He has his flaws, but most players do, even the top players. He’s one of the best in the league easily and we’d be fucked without him. Far too good for us though and after this I hope he gets a good move away and has a brilliant career before he retires. Great scouting by Rafa...

People going on about his errors should remember Shay around 2001. There was a big call start of the 2001/2 season when he’d fucked up at Chelsea and v Troyes a few days later for Harper to replace him. Bobby stuck by him and ended up in the Team of the Season. Given had an error in him too. I don’t know a single keeper who doesn’t. The mistake thing levelled at Dubravka is bizarre considering how much more he has to deal with.

Every keeper makes mistakes, and those mistakes are more prescient when the keeper is still active. When we loo back, nostalgically, we overlook such things. Maybe because you're no longer comparing them to what could be better. That's why I say Dubs is probably a better keeper than Given [without considering the errors]

I’m not going to get into the debate vs Given, but if we had Dubravka in goal during 95-96 we win the title. I think he’s class personally, as a ‘keeper and as a person. He has his flaws, but most players do, even the top players. He’s one of the best in the league easily and we’d be fucked without him. Far too good for us though and after this I hope he gets a good move away and has a brilliant career before he retires. Great scouting by Rafa...

He deserves to play for a top team, there is no doubt about that.

Guest neesy111

Solid defender but think he's helped massively by having an organised and defensive setup around him, think he'd be exposed if we didn't defend so deep.

I like him but he's 5th choice for me. Not a slight on him, but Fernandez and Lascelles are stronger and better defenders and Schar and Lejeune are better for setting the tempo of the team and getting us moving. He's more of a jack of all trades in the middle which is why he's mostly been a back up.

I went through a phase of thinking he needed to be moved on asap. It was around the time of the Leicester home game under Rafa where we capitulated in the last 20 minutes or so. He was all over the place that day.

He’s grown on me though and he’s been valuable this season. I’d still probably chose every other centre back over him if everyone was fit though.

I like him, but don't want him starting very often but a very capable back up centre half. He is a threat in the opposition box and chips in with a few goals. For where we are as a club he is as good as you get for a back up centre back.

He was excellent for us in the Championship, surprisingly a lot better than I thought he would be.

I really admire how professional he's been during his time here, never goes to the media about wanting to play more games and he usually does a decent job when called upon

Feared the worst when we signed him, he sounded like the OG king. He ended up being a really strong preformer in the Championship and the threat he provides in the opposition penalty area is an added bonus.

He's not good enough to be relied upon week-in, week-out in the PL, but as a back-up option he's sound.

Overall, a much better player than I was expecting.

Has he literally ever had a bad game? Ridiculously dependable. Which game was it that he played as an out-and-out left back and played really well, too? Was it that 3-0 against West Ham just after we'd come up?

The squad of CBs Rafa amassed up to last season was collectively as good as we've ever had in my lifetime. None of them had anywhere near the talent of Woodgate or Coloccini at their respective primes, but in terms of reliability and strength in depth, it's got to be the best we've had. Previously we've always had a Bramble or Taylor or Williamson stinking up the squad from position two in the pecking order and downwards. For us to play with three at the back and have a complete second choice of Clark-Fernandez-Dummett represents crazy good depth.

As for Clark himself, I'd probably rank him as Rafa's fourth best signing in terms of value, importance and general results behind Gayle, Ritchie and Dubravka. He pips Schar, Lejeune and Fernandez - who are obviously better players - because of his contribution to promotion and consolidation. One of many excellent signings by the great man. But, ya know, Gamez n stuff.