Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

This could be a positive for us with Bein (in effect Qatar) trying to but probably failing to stop this it could spur the Saudis to retaliate by funding us to incredible levels to put them back in their place.

As has been mentioned the fit and proper persons test won't take into account what Bein think.

If we are taken over by the Saudi's, I assume that, because of the TV deals and the subsequent TV money that we are entitled to, coupled to the added interest of owning an EPL team, the Saudi state will probably sign up to broadcast the EPL games, and as such, they will not want competition for viewing from a pirate station, so I imagine the pirate station problem will go away, hopefully without any breaches of their human rights.  However, if Bein get their way, and the takeover is blocked, then there is no reason for the Saudi's to block the pirate station.  Notwithstanding that, this really smacks of Richard Keys doing his utmost to get his revenge on the NUFC fans who troll him.

My take on Bein: the test is almost done and the PL will approve it, so Bein try to sabotage it because of the reasons many people in here already said.

Why now not two weeks ago or in January? Because two weeks ago the deal was far away from complete/the PL didn't do the test yet. When Bein saw the deal is approved then they try to sabotage it.

That’s a very good point. The thing is too, corporations surely will get wind of whether they’ll pass the fit and proper persons test prior to it happening otherwise they would put through deposits of cash etc. Sue the last phase is the official point of takeover but organisations wouldn’t hand over millions if they weren’t pretty convinced they’d had a nod of approval. As you say it’s in these earlier stages you’d expect opposition. Mind I wouldn’t be surprised if they had already had opposition behind the scenes

BeIN have been doing this thing with increasing regularity in recent years. They've made similar threats to La Liga and Serie A when they've got close to the Saudis.

I think the PL would rather not have the hassle at this point, and if they could safely reject it they would. The question is do they think they have a strong enough case to win the inevitable court action and are they comfortable setting a precident on either moral grounds or by following orders from broadcasters/getting involved in geopolitics.

I definitely think there's something in the suggestion that the PL will want it off their desk and could rubber stamp it sooner rather than later. Longer it goes on the worse the outlook.

Reject the opportunity to have a new potential superstar team leading to more money money money.

Doubt it.

BeIN have been doing this thing with increasing regularity in recent years. They've made similar threats to La Liga and Serie A when they've got close to the Saudis.

I think the PL would rather not have the hassle at this point, and if they could safely reject it they would. The question is do they think they have a strong enough case to win the inevitable court action and are they comfortable setting a precident on either moral grounds or by following orders from broadcasters/getting involved in geopolitics.

I definitely think there's something in the suggestion that the PL will want it off their desk and could rubber stamp it sooner rather than later. Longer it goes on the worse the outlook.

They've also had the hump with people pirating their feeds for some time. I can see why - Sky would do the same.

They used to show all the 3pm games with the option of English or Arabic commentary.

Now it's only English for the early and late Saturday and Sunday games - and one 3pm Saturday game (always shown on Bein 11).

I'd have to find the article, but someone from Bein said it's been done because Arabic-only commentary will put off people trying to pirate and subscribe to their feeds.

Reject the opportunity to have a new potential superstar team leading to more money money money.

Doubt it.

In normal times? No. At the moment? Yes.

Not that I have ever watched it, but that's me never watching a beIN feed of our match.

Could only imagine what the bosses there will want to portray us as during their broadcasts and they have the perfect employee in hairy Keys to happily oblige

Doubt it.

In normal times? No. At the moment? Yes.

I'd argue that with the financial situation a lot of clubs will be facing now they want a new club capable of investing more than ever.

Sitting in lawyers in trays.

probs aye, plus CRB requests or whatever they're called don't come next day i suppose :lol:

You would hope the CRB checks aren’t going through the standard route, my wife is involved in temporary NHS recruitment and says that CRB checks are running about a month behind due to demand

I can't envisage a problem with the human rights issue, I mean it's not like Saudi Arabia is blackballed by the UK. In fact, the trade between both countries is strong. 

The total goods exports from the UK to Saudi Arabia in 2017 were worth about £4.2 billion, an increase of 120% compared with ten years earlier. Goods imports from Saudi Arabia were worth £2.4 billion (also more than double the figure for ten years earlier). So the UK had a surplus of £1.8 billion in goods trade. We also import oil from Saudi.

Did the human rights activists stop this?

Guest neesy111

The PL's priority will not be this takeover, it'll be putting together plans to get the season restarted.