Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

For what it’s worth, Caulkin has been replying to some fans after he’d spoken to his sources earlier today...

Hmm this does go with what I was told yesterday and was sceptical about...

the ramifications of the PL knocking this deal back on any grounds would be insaaaaaane like :lol:

imagine them having the balls to do that, it's just so hard to see, the Sheff Utd. piece seems the most likely if they were going to grow a pair

On the face of it, it seems like the PL would have plenty of support if they denied the takeover.

They would have plenty of support, but I don't think that's mojo's point (apologies if I'm speaking for you wrongly mojo).  It's more about how deeply entwined foreign politics already are with every aspect of this country, including football.  If they knocked this one back for any reason which was even vaguely political, then dozens and dozens of other investments in football and wider society would immediately be called into question.

:thup:  that's why you might argue the sheff utd angle could be their "get out" if they wanted to knock it back but given how money hungry they are the delay is probably them trying to find a way to let it go through without breaching that part of their own rules :lol:

:thup:

Both fair and good points. Sorry I missed the point there but I do agree with what you both say.

then i'd say there's a chance they could bin it on the influencing another club angle, as fucking daft as that would be

That's the only one for me, but as I posted earlier I don't see how they can distance themselves from all the other politcal angles but use that one

Either we're being bought by the embodiment of a nation state with all the political baggage that brings (which the PL appear to have already discounted in their reply to Amnesty), or we're being bought by an investment fund which is separate from the state and can't be deemed to have any influence on other Saudi owners.  Can't have it both ways.

I can see why this is taking some time, though :lol:

For what it’s worth, Caulkin has been replying to some fans after he’d spoken to his sources earlier today...

No it doesn't.  :lol:

then i'd say there's a chance they could bin it on the influencing another club angle, as fucking daft as that would be

That's the only one for me, but as I posted earlier I don't see how they can distance themselves from all the other politcal angles but use that one

Either we're being bought by the embodiment of a nation state with all the political baggage that brings (which the PL appear to have already discounted in their reply to Amnesty), or we're being bought by an investment fund which is separate from the state and can't be deemed to have any influence on other Saudi owners.  Can't have it both ways.

aye MBS being on the board of PiF is surely an issue you'd think, if he wasn't then you've no direct/indirect link but seeing as he is there's surely a strong argument to tie the fund to the state and he's already proven he can influence any saudi when he locked them all in a hotel and stole loads of their shit :lol:

complicated indeed

Stop pretending your ITK. :lol:

aye MBS being on the board of PiF is surely an issue you'd think, if he wasn't then you've no direct/indirect link but seeing as he is there's surely a strong argument to tie the fund to the state and he's already proven he can influence any saudi when he locked them all in a hotel and stole loads of their shit :lol:

complicated indeed

Absolutely, and I agree that the SU argument is the most likely one to sink this.

The PL appear to have already said that they regard PIF as an investment fund rather than an extension of the state in their reply to Amnesty, though.  If their shoulder-shrugging response (which was basically, "pffft, it's a company in Saudi Arabia") was enough for them to dismiss the human rights arguments and dodgy TV allegations, I don't see how they can do anything other than treat the potential of undue influence the same way.  All the arguments come down to "he's in charge of the country and he's on the board" and ultimately, either they're dealing with MBS or they're not: he surely can't be used as a material part of the argument in some circumstances but not in others?

Stop pretending your ITK. :lol:

HTT's already told us that Premier League tests have been completed, so anyone else claiming otherwise lose their ITK status.

Those Caulkin quotes dont worry me at all like they have 1 or 2 people. He said yesterday the buyers were still "overwhelmingly confident" of a deal being struck. The reason people are worried is because this is taking a little longer than *they* expected. All of the BEIN stuff, the Sheff Utd issues, the human rights issuse will all have been looked at thoroughly by the lawyers on the buyers side. If they thought for 1 minute there was going to be problem, a 17 million pound deposit would not have been payed.

We just need to relax and let it take its course, as frustrating as that is.

👏

👍👍

I assume that when they've asked the government the "official" response has been that they wouldn't intervene, when in reality the PL probably have been told to not fuck this up. But that's a just a theory :lol:

I don't get how this deal is put up.

It's often reported that the PCP is the buyer, with backing from the PIF. The PIF should then own 80%, PCP and Reubens 10% each.

Who will be the main owner, PCP or PIF?

I don't get how this deal is put up.

It's often reported that the PCP is the buyer, with backing from the PIF. The PIF should then own 80%, PCP and Reubens 10% each.

Who will be the main owner, PCP or PIF?

Mike Ashley

The only way that this isn't going to happen is if the consortium pull the plug, the PL will be desperate to find a way of getting this through and the delay will be more about them making sure that they can exonerate themselves once they've passed it.

I assume that when they've asked the government the "official" response has been that they wouldn't intervene, when in reality the PL probably have been told to not fuck this up. But that's a just a theory :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if the government is lobbying on behalf of the deal succeeding.  Johnson made promises to the North of England (to invest and re-energize) before and after the last election; having the Saudi's invest heavily in Newcastle is an easy and cheap way for Johnson to be able to say, "see, I kept my promise".

complicated indeed

Absolutely, and I agree that the SU argument is the most likely one to sink this.

The PL appear to have already said that they regard PIF as an investment fund rather than an extension of the state in their reply to Amnesty, though.  If their shoulder-shrugging response (which was basically, "pffft, it's a company in Saudi Arabia") was enough for them to dismiss the human rights arguments and dodgy TV allegations, I don't see how they can do anything other than treat the potential of undue influence the same way.  All the arguments come down to "he's in charge of the country and he's on the board" and ultimately, either they're dealing with MBS or they're not: he surely can't be used as a material part of the argument in some circumstances but not in others?

The difference is that the PL can wash their hands of what's happening in the Middle East, but fuck with the integrity of their competition and it's a different story.

And I know it's the modern day equivalent to Godin's Law, but imagine we go into the final day needing a win against Sheffield United to win the league. It's not unrealistic to suggest an invitation to the embassy might be extended if the result didn't turn out the right way in that situation.

and if the EPL try and day 'no' for whatever reason then you know SA will be on the phone to Boris to remind him he needs friends with money,  post Brexit especially.

I think it probably will go through, but until it does I will be a little restless. That I think is totally understandable and even those who have nerves of steel on here can probably appreciate that. Mind you, it will be joyous when it does happen.

The thing about the PL blocking the takeover though; it would be entirely our luck if they suddenly decided to take a stand and fuck us over. And as for the ramifications? Probably the same ramifications as our fans who still hand over money to mike ashley after every action he takes to damage the club. A wall of silence until it all blows over and everyone forgets after a while. Maybe they will add in an extra part of the test to make it more difficult for future owners but that'd be it. Calls for anything else to be looked into will fall on deaf ears and the status quo would continue.

But, as I say, I think it will but I'm just antsy and a little desperate for us to be finally rid of that fat parasite.

So the lockdown is driving people crazy enough to believe this takeover isn't happening? Because it is, you know that.

Personally I think it will happen, but my gut feeling is that it won't be until next week at the very earliest.