Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

How about YOU give it a rest and let people talk about what they f***ing want to? Just because you don't want to read it or want to ignore it, doesn't mean everyone else wants to. Bet you're exactly the sort of person that cries on about snowflakes anarl.

If only those poor Yemeni kids could have got to the age of 69

Aye, the RAF etc didn’t give Iraqi kids or Syrian kids much opportunity to reach 69 either. So why doesn’t the UK stop selling arms around the world then.

Aye, the RAF etc didn’t give Iraqi kids or Syrian kids much opportunity to reach 69 either. So why doesn’t the UK stop selling arms around the world then.

UK government aren't buying football clubs

People can talk about whatever they want, but surely when there's a thread specifically about the "cost" of letting the Saudi's invest in the club that talk should go there.  People look in this thread for updates on the takeover.

People can talk about whatever they want, but surely when there's a thread specifically about the "cost" of letting the Saudi's invest in the club that talk should go there.  People look in this thread for updates on the takeover.

Exactly.

They're the buyers. Incredibly naive to think that you'll get to decide on that being kept as a separate discussion going forward imo. It's all connected and it's all going to get talked about, whether any of us likes it or not.

Guest reefatoon

This is what is so tedious. We know exactly how these folks are feeling, they keep letting us know. I respect people’s decisions completely, and everyone has their own moral compass to deal with,  but when they drag the soap box out every 5 minutes then it just gets fucking boring. It’s like they feel the need to try and force it down people’s necks at every opportunity. Look at me, look at me, I’m so outraged still.

BBC running the Khashoggi fiancé story for the third time, slightly different quote this time.

It’s almost as if some agency was releasing press releases on her behalf....

I don't care if it's Qatar releasing the story. It's one we should be discussing seriously. It's not enough to simply acknowledge wrong-doing. A man was murdered for criticising a regime. That does not deserve death.

Why should we ? It’s got nothing to do with football, if your going to attach the murder to the purchase of the club then also discuss it in relation to live nation, Warner brothers and other Saudi purchases.

No one is disputing the murder is horrendous, it’s the hypocrisy that the sale of nufc should be stopped whilst all these other deals go throughout without a murmur.

The one thing this deal won’t be stopped on is human rights, it would put the premier league at odds with the policy of the U.K. government.

What is blatantly happening here is human rights lawyers are using the high profile nature of this sale to gain publicity, as they know the Saudis buying stakes in other companies just doesn’t draw the same attention.

You can’t blame them for this as this is their job, however what I strongly object to is the notion that we should sacrifice the chance of a lifetime for our city and club, If this was blocked these same people would move on to their next cause and wouldn’t  give a s%#t about us.

So whilst I acknowledge and understand the human rights aspect, ths hypocrisy expecting us to be line drawn in the sand with Saudis doesn’t wash with me and many others.

The acceptance of people into football is the problem. Just because we've let bad people in before doesn't mean we should continue to allow it. I find the rhetroic around Khasoggi's widow and this story concerning. The use of the term 'gaining publicity' makes it sound like they're being opportunistic and acting in bad faith.

You talk about hypocrisy. We spent years lamenting Ashley's zero-hour contracts and his business practices, but now it's not about the owners wider interests and personal history?

If the region does gain significant investment I'll be pleased for those it helps, but I'm also never going to stop acknowledging the majority stake in our new ownership has committed some genuine atrocities, and I don't like the idea of someone like that owning my football club. Your perspective is essentially the desired outcome from sports washing. I'm not an expert on Saudi Arabia, maybe they are reforming, maybe they aren't, but part of that process is acknowledging the faults of the past.

Even the idea of 'sacrificing the chance of a life-time'. At what cost though? This isn't a sliding scale of t***-ness. One is not better than the other. States shouldn't be allowed to own clubs, and I don't like the idea of my club being used as a pawn in a much bigger play, even if it wins us a few FA Cups and puts us in the Champions League.

I'm well aware this is not a popular opinion. That was reinforced by how many quickly quoted and agreed with you, but that won't change that for me, I don't want them owning the club. And as much relief as I'll feel to see Ashley go, it will be replaced by an unease at who inherits the chair.

Your posts bring to mind that old terrace chant, "where were you when we were s***?"

I mean, you really signed up here to warn everybody that we should be careful what we wish for?

Why? It’s a perfectly fair and counter balance to the post

I wasn't arguing the merits of his post, just seems strange that someone signs up now to whinge about the takeover when they were nowhere to be seen during the last 13 years of utter misery inflicted by Ashley.

Guest reefatoon

It isn’t though, it’s the same three people who come galloping in on their high horses every single time.

I didn't mean just the forum, but I would think it'll continue to be talked about widely on here over the coming years too. Tbf, I'm not on here all the time, but isn't the Carrick_18 that brought it up a new poster as well?

How about YOU give it a rest and let people talk about what they f***ing want to? Just because you don't want to read it or want to ignore it, doesn't mean everyone else wants to. Bet you're exactly the sort of person that cries on about snowflakes anarl.

:lol: :thup:

Someone told me to fuck off when I highlighted Saudi charities.

I'd get used to the tedium then tbh, it's going to be part of the cost of them being the club's owners.

Think the majority of us will have broad enough shoulders to deal with any flak coming our way.

:thup:

Someone told me to f*** off when I highlighted Saudi charities.

Okay? Not sure I follow.

This is what is so tedious. We know exactly how these folks are feeling, they keep letting us know. I respect people’s decisions completely, and everyone has their own moral compass to deal with,  but when they drag the soap box out every 5 minutes then it just gets fucking boring. It’s like they feel the need to try and force it down people’s necks at every opportunity. Look at me, look at me, I’m so outraged still.

I’d agree with this. It completely wore me out after about a week. May as well get used to it coz gonna get it from all angles soon

Okay? Not sure I follow.

‘snowflakes’ can be twats as well

For a little more than three years, Yemen has been locked in a seemingly intractable civil war that has killed nearly 10,000 people and pushed millions to the brink of starvation.

The conflict has its roots in the Arab Spring of 2011, when an uprising forced the country's long-time authoritarian president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, to hand over power to his deputy, Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi.

The political transition was supposed to bring stability to Yemen, one of the Middle East's poorest nations, but President Hadi struggled to deal with various problems including militant attacks, corruption, food insecurity, and continuing loyalty of many military officers to Saleh.

Fighting began in 2014 when the Houthi Shia Muslim rebel movement took advantage of the new president's weakness and seized control of northern Saada province and neighbouring areas. The Houthis went on to take the capital Sanaa, forcing Mr Hadi into exile abroad.

The conflict escalated dramatically in March 2015, when Saudi Arabia and eight other mostly Sunni Arab states - backed by the US, UK, and France - began air strikes against the Houthis, with the declared aim of restoring Mr Hadi's government.  This is not NUFC's issue.

I’d agree with this. It completely wore me out after about a week. May as well get used to it coz gonna get it from all angles soon

Won't bother me if the takeover is complete.  There's just something so irritating about popping in here hoping for news of Ashley's reign finally being over and seeing a page full of arguments on human rights is the reason for the new posts.

EDIT:  I realise I'm just making it worse posting nothing news worthy though so I'm not saying anymore.

UK government aren't buying football clubs

UK Govt can't even buy PPE properly

Okay? Not sure I follow.

‘snowflakes’ can be t***s as well

They're all snowflakes is the point, I guess.