Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It is entirely possible that the checks have been completed and that Burt/Caulkin are correct. The delay doesn't necessarily mean they are still checking.

Because it is also entirely possible that the Premier League is trying to find a way to legally interpret that information in such as way as to make certain that they can withstand the inevitable criticism from beIN and other outside parties. The Premier League would welcome Saudi money, the Saudi market, and all the economic benefit that it entails, but to do so enthusiastically would make them look callous and unconcerned about the piracy/human rights issues. It's in their best interests to cover every potential challenge that may emerge.

The Premier League has participated in the WTO report and has known about it for weeks. That they have not already informed the buyers that there are major issues is good news.

That’s my optimistic take on it and what I thought Masters was referring to when interviewed by Roan in my own odd way when referring to discussing the issues in private.

There’s no actual benefit for the Saudis to push this through any sooner than they have to, it’s money in their pockets. I’d imagine Mike is doing his dinger waiting for the money to come through.

You'd imagine that Ashley's lawyers would have insisted on a clause to the effect that the purchase price will start to bear interest if the buyers can't get themselves through the PL approval process within some defined time period such as a couple of months. It can't be an open-ended arrangement whereby Ashley is obligated to wait potentially forever for the PL to decide. He may well have the right to pull the plug altogether if the buyers can't get through the PL test within X months.

What has happened in the last 24 hours please that is 'negative'? Can someone provide a quick update please? Haven't been keeping on tabs on this as I have been refreshing the page every 5 seconds prior to that :lol:.

Cheers guys.

WTO says they have evidence to link the Saudis to the dodgy channels in a nutshell.

I mean, they were already linked to it, which it seemed like the PL was going to let slide.  They'd originally said the channel came from Cuba or Columbia, then the next position was "Fair cop, it was a Saudi channel, maybe linked to the regime but but not run by them."  The new position, supposedly, is bit more than "The WTO has evidence they're linked". It's "The WTO has ruled it was state-run".  Which we all really knew if we're honest seeing as it was broadcast from Saudi satellites. 

I think we have to kind of hope it's a Cummings situation where everyone clearly knows one thing, but enough people in power can pretend the opposite in orde to get it through.  I don't really give much of a fuck if the Saudi state has been giving out BeoutQ boxes that give pirate Sky, BT and Bein streams to the populace as bread and circuses to keep them happy, certainly not as much as the journalist murdering. But if that's a reason for the takeover to be blocked, it should be blocked, technically.  Luckily the Premier League is corrupt, so maybe we'll be OK.

If this WTO evidence is so compelling I’d be expecting them to take out new legal proceedings against SA. As it is surely the PL will ask for a response to the paper from SA and they’ll be able to provide a satisfactory reply.

There’s no actual benefit for the Saudis to push this through any sooner than they have to, it’s money in their pockets. I’d imagine Mike is doing his dinger waiting for the money to come through.

Of course there's a benefit for the Saudis to get this done sooner, they can start getting key personnel in place and crack on with their plans for the club. Securing managers or players can only be done if they know for sure it is a done deal. The Saudis don't need the money in their pockets. If they did, they wouldn't be buying the club in the first place.

Can someone tell me again why this piracy thing is a problem, it's old news isn't it? It's not been on air since last autumn, or am I missing something?

I think it migrated to set top boxes (I could be mistaken)

If this WTO evidence is so compelling I’d be expecting them to take out new legal proceedings against SA. As it is surely the PL will ask for a response to the paper from SA and they’ll be able to provide a satisfactory reply.

Of course there's a benefit for the Saudis to get this done sooner, they can start getting key personnel in place and crack on with their plans for the club. Securing managers or players can only be done if they know for sure it is a done deal. The Saudis don't need the money in their pockets. If they did, they wouldn't be buying the club in the first place.

They can do all that behind the scenes. Can’t do anything until the season restarts and there’ll be no upheaval until the season ends.

They can do all that behind the scenes. Can’t do anything until the season restarts and there’ll be no upheaval until the season ends.

They can't do anything significant if there's any chance the deal won't get signed off. All they can do behind the scenes is ask potential targets if they would be interested. That doesn't really hold much water if they don't actually own the club.

Guest reefatoon

This is as dull as sitting through a Bruce inspired 0-0 draw. Why has everything to do with the club got to always be so relentlessly dull and tiring. We can’t even make a takeover fun.

It is entirely possible that the checks have been completed and that Burt/Caulkin are correct. The delay doesn't necessarily mean they are still checking.

Because it is also entirely possible that the Premier League is trying to find a way to legally interpret that information in such as way as to make certain that they can withstand the inevitable criticism from beIN and other outside parties. The Premier League would welcome Saudi money, the Saudi market, and all the economic benefit that it entails, but to do so enthusiastically would make them look callous and unconcerned about the piracy/human rights issues. It's in their best interests to cover every potential challenge that may emerge.

The Premier League has participated in the WTO report and has known about it for weeks. That they have not already informed the buyers that there are major issues is good news.

This is generally where I'm at. Despite the alarmists headlines from yesterday, we know the WTO report has been passed to the Premier League already, probably two weeks ago. The buyers have presumably already responded to questions about that and we're beyond the stage where that's an issue. Maybe it will ultimately be the thing that prevents the deal from going through, but we've known about it for weeks, it doesn't change anything.

If the buyers haven't been informed of any red flags as of now, hopefully we're in the clear. Just have to hope their confidence isn't misplaced.

Simpletons thought process, but it as it's EID, are we waiting for Saudi to get back to work before the banking process is started from their end ?

No. PIF’s business transactions will still be going ahead. Even if they weren’t it is likely that the money is already in a holding account ready for Premier League approval.

Basically he's saying that the PL could scupper the deal if they feel that the buyers haven't provided full or misleading information, that is a get out clause of sorts. Can't imagine that would be the case when you consider the calibre of the parties involved in the takeover. Just seems another justification for the PL to sit on it a bit longer.

Basically he's saying that the PL could scupper the deal if they feel that the buyers haven't provided full or misleading information, that is a get out clause of sorts. Can't imagine that would be the case when you consider the calibre of the parties involved in the takeover. Just seems another justification for the PL to sit on it a bit longer.

Technically they aren’t even sitting on it longer, not that we know have because they have had this information since the 11th of may.

This is the first time I feel its less likely to be accepted than rejected.

I’ve had doubts for a couple of weeks just based on how long it is taking, despite everyone saying it’s down to project restart and covid-19, I still feel it should have been done 7 weeks in.

I worry about the emotional health of our support if we are sitting here this time next week and nothing has changed.

It’s definitely time to be concerned if that is the case.

Duncan Castles(Journalist) said they told him they don’t expect it to announced until at least next week.

Basically could be a few more weeks.