Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

god just wish they'd introduce the 50+1 rule as they have in germany to avoid shit like this.

Germany's rule was drawn up when there was no private ownership already in place (apart from particular clubs, Leverkusen etc). You can't put the genie back in the bottle here.

oh I know (and hell even in German its hardly fool proof with RB Leipzig as an example) but one can dream or at the very least ban fucking countries from getting involved since it drags all the geopolitical baggage with them

You'd think states not being able to own clubs would have been a pretty easy rule to put in place.

god just wish they'd introduce the 50+1 rule as they have in germany to avoid shit like this.

Germany's rule was drawn up when there was no private ownership already in place (apart from particular clubs, Leverkusen etc). You can't put the genie back in the bottle here.

oh I know (and hell even in German its hardly fool proof with RB Leipzig as an example) but one can dream or at the very least ban fucking countries from getting involved since it drags all the geopolitical baggage with them

You'd think states not being able to own clubs would have been a pretty easy rule to put in place.

unfortunately it involves getting 14/20 clubs to agree to put it in place when the only thought going through the respective owners minds is "well what if some random rich gulf country wants to throw money at me for my club don't want to close the door on that"

I get it guys! She wasn't his wife, only his fiancee, that's not of any relevance to the point I was making, but well done lads!

Why do you not go and support another club then, as the only thing I have seen you contribute on within the footballing part of the forum is the takeover and your anti-thoughts on it.

Do you have to support the takeover to support the club now? That seems to be the consensus on here anyway.

You don't have to. But if you feel that strong toward Saudi owned Newcastle, then the only logical thing for you if the takeover is approved is to stop supporting Newcastle.

Sadly it kinda feels like a logical choice, it won't be the same. I just hope it won't go through, I know I'm in the minority and i understand people disagreeing with that.

Being in favour of the takeover, and defending Saudi Arabia is two different things though. I can understand wanting the takeover, but people on here defending Saudi Arabia is just baffling in my honest opinion. They really are horrible.

To be honest, based off the general tone and content of your posts, you have never seemed to recognise that distinction

I get it guys! She wasn't his wife, only his fiancee, that's not of any relevance to the point I was making, but well done lads!

Why do you not go and support another club then, as the only thing I have seen you contribute on within the footballing part of the forum is the takeover and your anti-thoughts on it.

Do you have to support the takeover to support the club now? That seems to be the consensus on here anyway.

You don't have to. But if you feel that strong toward Saudi owned Newcastle, then the only logical thing for you if the takeover is approved is to stop supporting Newcastle.

Sadly it kinda feels like a logical choice, it won't be the same. I just hope it won't go through, I know I'm in the minority and i understand people disagreeing with that.

Being in favour of the takeover, and defending Saudi Arabia is two different things though. I can understand wanting the takeover, but people on here defending Saudi Arabia is just baffling in my honest opinion. They really are horrible.

To be honest, based off the general tone and content of your posts, you have never seemed to recognise that distinction

If that's the case I apologize. But people were smearing Khashoggi and his widow fiancee earlier in the thread, when you do and say that, it's way beyond just being in favour of the takeover. I realize that that's of course a minority on here, and I was unclear in my replies earlier, as to whom i was referring to.

Thinking kashoggis fiance could be being used and defending the Saudi regime are also two different things.... But that didn't stop you berating people who had the audacity to think she might have more than one reason to be going on the offensive re: the Saudi takeover at this certain point in time.

If that's the case I apologize. But people were smearing Khashoggi and his widow fiancee earlier in the thread, when you do and say that, it's way beyond just being in favour of the takeover. I realize that that's of course a minority on here, and I was unclear in my replies earlier, as to whom i was referring to.

Playing devils advocate a tad here but as someone stated earlier in the thread, nobody knows for sure what Khashoggi was involved in or the full background of him and his now vocal fiancee. I don't think anyone's really daft enough to condone what happened to the guy but bearing in mind the involvement of both the Saudis and the Qataris I think it's relatively safe to assume neither party were/are whiter than white. From my point of view it comes down to which has an effect on me more in my day to day life and all I want is Mike Ashley out of my club and, if possible, a new owner with enough clout to potentially bring some success in my lifetime.

He’s getting plenty of replies from our lot after that tweet.

Doesn’t look like the blacklisted 20 yesterday is going to slow down business.

3 things in the last 24 hours, sanctions against nobody involved with PIF, GB arms deal ban with SA is no more and Raab's tweet about SA relations. This is going through.

Those replies licking Tory hoop when they have approved more arms sales to SA. Christ we're not coming out well with all this, if this was another club they'd be getting hammered in here.

We do hammer other clubs in here, meanwhile the club we support dies a slow death, losing its support and inevitably dwindling towards obscurity.  I'm really not bothered if some of our support look bad on twitter, and not just because its a ridiculous cesspit and 100% wrong in its representation of just about every cause or general consensus.  But because I don't think we need Football friends, we need success.

No worries, totally get where you’re coming from  O0

Playing devils advocate a tad here but as someone stated earlier in the thread, nobody knows for sure what Khashoggi was involved in or the full background of him and his now vocal fiancee. I don't think anyone's really daft enough to condone what happened to the guy but bearing in mind the involvement of both the Saudis and the Qataris I think it's relatively safe to assume neither party were/are whiter than white. From my point of view it comes down to which has an effect on me more in my day to day life and all I want is Mike Ashley out of my club and, if possible, a new owner with enough clout to potentially bring some success in my lifetime.

Saudi bots got one I see.

Guest chopey

I think that many fans are now invested in getting rid of Ashley if it doesn't happen then I fear the club will lose a lot of them, if this takeover doesn't go through and fans are allowed back in next season St James will be half full

I think that many fans are now invested in getting rid of Ashley if it doesn't happen then I fear the club will lose a lot of them, if this takeover doesn't go through and fans are allowed back in next season St James will be half full

Well they were already handing out free season tickets. I guess some may hang on given recent results but I agree I think so many would just think “nah I’m done”. The idea of being stuck with an even less enthused Ashley (I know is that possible) doesn’t even bare thinking about. More mediocrity or worse with Bruce moving forwards.

Here in Sweden we have the 51% rule.

It's good in the way that the members can vote who they think should run the club. And if the board does a bad job you vote on someone else.

The problem in Sweden is that it's hard for the clubs to make money. No investors want's to go in with money because they have no control where the money should be spent. Even if he buys 49% of the club his will can be voted against.

It may work better in the UK where the TV-deal is so much higher.

Well they were already handing out free season tickets. I guess some may hang on given recent results but I agree I think so many would just think “nah I’m done”. The idea of being stuck with an even less enthused Ashley (I know is that possible) doesn’t even bare thinking about. More mediocrity or worse with Bruce moving forwards.

I’d be done with football if it doesn’t go through, having a big (possibly last) chance to compete with the big boys taken away from us. Be hard to watch or get excited by football.

Guest chopey

I’d be done with football if it doesn’t go through, having a big (possibly last) chance to compete with the big boys taken away from us. Be hard to watch or get excited by football.

Yes........... this situation of just existing in the league and sacrificing the cups for a seat on next years money train is not for me, I want and need Ashley gone from the club and if that is done because of an investment company from Saudi then that's fine by me, if not, then I may as well go and watch non league at Consett or Sunderland.

Yep.

I'm similar, I'm 90% not interested in football now. This deal is shit or bust for me.

Assuming we pick up at least a handful of points before the end of the season, I've absolutely no doubt that the stadium will be more-or-less full again once it's allowed to be. And that's with or without the takeover. Evidence: the last 13 years.

I could never abandon football altogether, it's too ingrained in too many parts of my life, but the takeover not going through would obviously be a colossal blow in terms of supporting NUFC.

Same for me, the takeover has drawn me back in after barely watching any games for the last 2 or 3 years (after many years of following all the games).

The thought of an even more disinterested Ashley (if that is possible), in combination with Bruce is not something I'm sticking around for (as much as it pains me to say).

Guest reefatoon

Every time Yorkie posts, I am gagging for a big slab of Stilton. Such a fucking tease that is.

These watershed lows aren't always the cliff edges I expect them to be personally. Instead I find my interest has been dwindling for a good while. It will take a considerable dip if we're stuck with Ashley again next year but I'll probably still have our game on in the background if it's on and I'm not busy.

I'm largely bored of it though, and I doubt there's room for my enthusiasm to reach full levels again if the takeover does happen. How much of that is down to Ashley, the stacked deck nature of the PL and probably my age and lifestyle now, I don't know. Definitely a combination of all of those though.