Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

sigh

Aye, its the worst argument of all time.  Awful.

Not really the worst is it though

If you think the takeover should not be allowed to go through on moral grounds (which btw is a stance anyone is entitled to and it's understandable) but then you happily view/consume content/products in which they also have investments it's hypocrisy, now some people are comfortable being selective and again that's their prerogative but the hypocrisy can be called out

No it is not hypocrisy at all. These things are not comparable. I have to put petrol in my car, and even if i didn't I get the bus, so that consumes petrol. I have to get home from town, so I use an uber. There are things that you use in a society because you have to. The argument that I should quit using uber is ridiculous. If we applied that logic unilaterally, nobody could disagree with anything. Hate capitalism mate, well you've got an iphone! Check mate!

Take away the essential products then, you don't need Disney products or need to use Facebook or need to have Starbucks etc

That's where the hypocrisy lies, I don't expect people to stop driving but if you object to the takeover on moral grounds but you blast through Disney+ then aye that's a bit dodgy and selective

So what you're saying is that Newcastle United is the same to you as any other business? That's fine if that's your position but it's a bit of a weird one for most football fans.

NUFC is the worldwide representative of my city so I'm inclined to want to be able to feel proud of it and what it stands for.

The only way it's comparable with Uber or Disney is if you have an emotional stake in those businesses. I couldn't give two fucks if they went under tomorrow so it's not the same in the slightest. I don't give a toss who owns Uber. I do care who owns Newcastle United. Is the difference between those two positions genuinely difficult to understand?

I care more if someone kills my wife than if someone kills your wife. That's not hypocrisy, it's life. I care more about things I care about than things I don't.

I think that bolded bit is the crux of the argument, and I can totally get that. Probably also the reason why so many people have different reactions to the idea of having a Saudi stake in their club. I want to feel proud of my city too, but I feel that being a successful and well run club will put us on the global map, and will get us more respect worldwide than being run like a pound shop.

For me personally, the human rights stuff is overblown, I think most folk worldwide know we live in a world where associations at the big business level are murky. When people tune in to watch the premier league around the world, they are most likely going to be marvelling at the skills on show when Chelsea or Man City play, they aren't going to be thinking about their owners links to crimes or human rights.

This is just the world we live in, you are either on the inside or left behind. By all means you are fully entitled to take a principled stand, just realise that the majority of people won't really care.

It's absolutely right that we as supporters should judge the takeover with a different view to the other investment. However, doesn't mean fans can't raise the hypocrisy of other peoples selective criticism if they want to (I can't really be assed to frankly).

sigh

Don’t being so fu#%ing goofy, it’ll be a very legitimate grievance if where the only company they’re not allowed to invest in.

because sport is the same as every other business? got you.

Football is essentially a business in relation to this debate. The pif are currently making investments across the globe without a murmur of dissent.

Wherever you like it or not football is big business now, if it was all about how will our club be perceived around the world, the premier league test would have a section where fans views are taken into account.

Whether you argue well pif are only taking a 5% stake in the companies so is not the same doesn’t wash.

The issue hear for most fans whether you like it or not, is there appears to be an agenda and level of hypocrisy around this deal.

You can call it paranoia but we’ve been the arm pit of England for my 44 years, the bottom line of this test should be simply is our club better under the current or new owners.

The piracy issue is a side show, there‘s piracy going on in this country and all over the world. To use that as excuse to block this deal will at best be seen as hypocrisy, but at worst corruption and a clear message of know your place.

As in a lot of walks of life in the north east our future appears to be in the hands of a few suits in London, who currently have no idea or care of the impact this will have on our emotional or financial well being.

So if this deal is blocked it will be nothing to do with human rights or how our club will be perceived with Saudi owners, it will be about the business of protecting the big 6 and the premier league’s chosen partners.

It would certainly cause some parties 10 miles down the road, but the clearest message to draw would be the north’s east is here to make up the numbers and know your fu#%ing place.

If you can live that with that fine but I’ll be checking out this time for good.

Just listened to that Duncan Castle podcast, as far as I’m aware 2/3 of the prem clubs can’t block this takeover because they don’t get to vote on it. It will be decided by the prem board on the criteria of the test, think a lot of the stuff in that podcast is just pi#%ing in the wind.

Eh? So 1/3 of clubs get to vote on it? I'm not sure what you mean.

Think he’s talking about the PL voting rights where if 2/3 of clubs vote for something it gets carried. Vote doesn’t apply on takeovers of other clubs though.

Just listened to that Duncan Castle podcast, as far as I’m aware 2/3 of the prem clubs can’t block this takeover because they don’t get to vote on it. It will be decided by the prem board on the criteria of the test, think a lot of the stuff in that podcast is just pi#%ing in the wind.

Eh? So 1/3 of clubs get to vote on it? I'm not sure what you mean.

He implied that to block the deal 2/3 of prem clubs would have to vote to block it. My point being at know point in the directors test does it mention the clubs even get the chance to vote. I was using it as an example of why the whole podcast seemed based on conjecture and very little info.

Feels like each week seems to end on a positive note about the takeover coming to a conclusion in the following week, only for the headlines on Sunday night/Monday morning to sh*t all over it.

It’s got to the point where it’s emotionally draining waiting for an outcome. The initial excitement has faded and it will be more of a massive relief if and when we get the good news that everything is done.

I wonder what will be dug up to try and stop the takeover this week. Fwiw, I’m still confident it will go through and feel like a lot of the negative coverage has been an easy way for the media to generate clicks on their sites.

Feels like each week seems to end on a positive note about the takeover coming to a conclusion in the following week, only for the headlines on Sunday night/Monday morning to sh*t all over it.

It’s got to the point where it’s emotionally draining waiting for an outcome. The initial excitement has faded and it will be more of a massive relief if and when we get the good news that everything is done.

I wonder what will be dug up to try and stop the takeover this week. Fwiw, I’m still confident it will go through and feel like a lot of the negative coverage has been an easy way for the media to generate clicks on their sites.

Yeah it's been draining. Was all for celebrating when we finally had the confirmation, now I don't know if i've got it in me. Hopefully different when it comes around but the PL have a lot to answer for, especially at times like these.

Dear Micky and Minnie Mouse

I write to at this dark time to remind you of your moral obligation to millions of children around the world.

As I’m sure your well aware those evil Saudis have purchased a 5% stake in your company. Just so I look consistent and don’t come across as a hypocrite to those Neanderthal geordies, I call on you to make a stand against this.

Clearly I’ll still subscribe to you on the Disney channel as the kids love it, but maybe you could have a word with Aladdin and we can get some sort of human rights message across in his next movie.

Hold on got to rush my ubers waiting outside.

Yours sincerely

Miguel Delaney

It’s torture like. But in the scheme of things an extra week or so isn’t too bad a price to pay to end 13 years of nothingness. Got to have faith that all of these objections have been looked into and closed off by the buyers legal team.  Next week eh?

They’ll surely be sorting out the PL restart and then announcing that before announcing that we’re moneybags!

We’ve been waiting 11 and a half years so another week or two won’t harm!

They’ll surely be sorting out the PL restart and then announcing that before announcing that we’re moneybags!

We’ve been waiting 11 and a half years so another week or two won’t harm!

Another one who gets it. Hope and look out for the announcement of football restarting first then there is a chance the takeover could be announced. No restart = no announcement

This thread has only been open for just over a month, feels like I've been reading it a lot longer than that

Who wants a bet if it'll to 999 pages and need a new thread before takeover goes through/collapses?

Hey Zuckerberg,

Hope you don’t mind me calling you by you first name mark for the purpose of this letter.

I currently work for a broadcasting company in the Middle East Mark, now I’m aware you have a few shares in twitter currently and here I come to my current problem.

I use Twitter regularly to bang on about intellectual rights and how those robbing s#%di bast#%ds are costing my company a fortune.

Just between me and you mark though, it’s just a bit of a smokescreen though. You see over in old Blighty there’s this clubs fans who I can’t fuck#%g stand, and well you see those rich Saudis have got big plans for them. I sort of let it slip out accidentally a couple of weeks ago that this would be the worst thing that could happen for the rest of us. They’d be fucking unbearable.

Anyway back to my point mark clearly I don’t really care if the Saudis have made you a nice little earner and bumped the share price up a bit.

However, whilst I’m trying to stick a spanner in the geordies works, i need to look like I’m outraged by this.

Clearly I’ll still be using twitter to stick it to those Geordie t#%ts, but it would be nice if you could just make some token gesture of stating you are anti piracy for the record.

Yours sincerely

Keysey

Ps Mark,

Whilst im on next time your up in Seattle can you have a word with your pals at Starbucks. The daughters friend has just turned up with iced latte and I’ve had to tip it all her top.

Once again best wishes

Keysey

sigh

Not really the worst is it though

If you think the takeover should not be allowed to go through on moral grounds (which btw is a stance anyone is entitled to and it's understandable) but then you happily view/consume content/products in which they also have investments it's hypocrisy, now some people are comfortable being selective and again that's their prerogative but the hypocrisy can be called out

No it is not hypocrisy at all. These things are not comparable. I have to put petrol in my car, and even if i didn't I get the bus, so that consumes petrol. I have to get home from town, so I use an uber. There are things that you use in a society because you have to. The argument that I should quit using uber is ridiculous. If we applied that logic unilaterally, nobody could disagree with anything. Hate capitalism mate, well you've got an iphone! Check mate!

It is hypocrisy. Using petrol is a personal choice.  If you truly did want to take a stance against the regime you could, you just choose not to because it would be inconvinient for you to do so.

You cant rationalise an issue to suit your personal lifestyle choices. Want to take a stance against Saudi - boycott all things that funds them. You wont because it would be inconvinient for you to do so and that unfortunately is not a valid argument at all.

The fact that society is already dependant on that product should not cloud the fact that that is the case. I can't understand an argument which suggests that supporting a sports club owned by the Saudis is objectively worse than using a product which directly funds that very same regime. It makes no sense.

As for the Capitilism comment, well that falls short in the sense that saying you hate Capitilam is totally different to actually taking a stance agaisnt it. There are people who do take a stance against Capitilism and live self sufficiently. It's a tried and tested method.

Latest from Keys.. "This is not a deal that should be done because you can not reward theft. Do we allow those who mugged Dele Alli this week to sell their watches for a profit?

"It's the same thing and it shouldn't be allowed."